Amazon refunded part of my (estimated) import duty

Amazon factored their 'best guesstimate' into the purchase price of my Springsteen boxed set of CDs, but as someone pointed out recently import duties appear to be a lottery - even more so since the coup. No idea how this will relate to others when purchasing from Amazon, but this is the refund notice I received. The original deposit was 44.77 USD - more than half the value of the box set - no idea how they came up with that figure. There was nothing on the box to indicate what ThaI Customs considered the appropriate duty to be - in this case, roughly 40% of the purchase price - ~28 USD on a 70 USD product - a significant jump on the Amazon CD order I placed earlier in the year. Fortunately, the box set was worth every penny - the remasters are sensational.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of AUD20.13 for your Order 112-8179398-4574658.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: The Album Collection Vol. 1 1973-1984
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B00NVHRB4W
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Import Fee Deposit Refund: AUD20.13

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

MasterCard Credit Card [expiring on 9/9999]: AUD20.13

We've processed a refund for the above order in the amount of AUD20.13. The refund should appear on your account in 2-3 days if issued to a credit card.
Refunds issued to a bank account typically take 7-10 days to reflect on the account balance.