Government wants lese majeste offenders to be sent home to face justice

Lite Beer

The LM has nothing to do with the King,

That doesn't make sense. Something called lese majeste necessarily has everything to do with the King. And if he had really wanted to change the law, it would not have been difficult to state his desires clearly and unambiguously.

No, it makes sense, it has nothing to do with his person but with the institution itself, rather like saying, you can't complain about the prime minister, that would endanger democracy, it's just as stupid.

it has nothing to do with his person but with the institution itself,

Well, LM cases are very much about the person. For obvious reasons, I can't really go into details but in Thailand, you can't possibly distinguish between the person and the institution because the latter is entirely dependent on the former, as will become much clearer in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

That doesn't make sense. Something called lese majeste necessarily has everything to do with the King. And if he had really wanted to change the law, it would not have been difficult to state his desires clearly and unambiguously.

No, it makes sense, it has nothing to do with his person but with the institution itself, rather like saying, you can't complain about the prime minister, that would endanger democracy, it's just as stupid.

Nonsense read below.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769792-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

I can't help comparing with the UK where anyone is free to say what they want about the monarchy and often do yet the institution there seems as strong and as popular as ever.

And that is the irony in clinging on to the LM-law in Thailand.

The Monarchy would probably be even more popular without it!!

Those Thais with reservations towards the Monarchy often have it because of of the LM laws.

Remove the LM laws and some sceptics will probably support the institution.

Look at Europe, where a debate about the Monarchy in the countries with royal families have not weakened the Kings/Queens, probaly quite the opposite.

But in Thailand the scumbag politicians would lose a very powerful tool .

Nonsense read below.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769792-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

I cant see the reason for calling my post nonsense. If you insult the king or any member of the royal family,or any royal family in the world it is LM because you have insulted the institution itself. moderate your response, i don't agree would have sufficed.

If you insult the king or any member of the royal family,or any royal family in the world it is LM

No. 112 specifies the (current) King, Queen, Crown Prince and Regent. The courts have made some 'interesting' interpretations of that to extend the law back some way historically but that's a different thing.

Yes freedom of speech is a very dangerous animal!!

Dangerous enough for it to be to be outlawed in the UK. I and many like me have many things which we would like to say about immigrants, religion, Bradford etc. which we are not allowed to voice because it threatens the peace and security of the country.
  • Like 1

Please read the following very carefully:

Any discussion of the Thai Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Thai Monarchy.

Those rules can be found here: NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS

PLEASE NOTE:

Also as per forum rule 1:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai Royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to or even referencing external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thaivisa Admin Team

'... The government will try to explain to foreign governments that offenders of the lese majeste law are a security threat to Thailand ...' Uh, huh.

'... he said would like the host governments where these alleged offenders are taking refuge to restrain from doing anything which is deemed a threat to Thai national security.' He what? What is the esteemed PM talking about?

Nonsense read below.

I cant see the reason for calling my post nonsense. If you insult the king or any member of the royal family,or any royal family in the world it is LM because you have insulted the institution itself. moderate your response, i don't agree would have sufficed.

So are you saying if we aussies expressed our opinion ions about our queen we can be arrested under thai law? If a thai wanted to say something about our queen we wouldn't care less either would she. Maybe we are a little less sensitive and don't cry as easily as thais. They need to grow a pair, harden up and catch up with the real world. Over sensitive little petals. Edited by chooka

I think Prayuth has overlooked a minor obstacle in his wish to have lese majesty offenders sent home.

Most of the countries he is adressing, believe in old fashion freedom of speech!!

Never mind general just block all the websites of those nasty little buggers taking advantage of those free speech laws.

Nonsense read below.

So are you saying if we aussies expressed our opinion ions about our queen we can be arrested under thai law? If a thai wanted to say something about our queen we wouldn't care less either would she. Maybe we are a little less sensitive and don't cry as easily as thais. They need to grow a pair, harden up and catch up with the real world. Over sensitive little petals.

Yes, you can be arrested under Thai law:

The third group is insult against the Head of State of foreign countries or lèse-majesté. Insulting or threatening the King, Queen, Consort, Heir-apparent or Head of State of foreign countries (Section 133), which is an offence against the friendly relations with foreign states, is punishable by 1 to 7 years imprisonment or a fine of 2,000-140,000 baht, or both. The penalty for defaming, insulting or threatening the Thai Monarch, the Queen, Heir-apparent or Regent (Section 112) is imprisonment for a 3 of three to 15 years. Insulting or defaming a representative of a foreign state accredited to the Royal Court has the penalty of imprisonment for a term of 6 months to 15 years or a fine of 1,000-10,000 baht, or both.

Scary isn't it?

Prayut seemed to start out pretty well, but at this point seems to be moving

into the loss of plot..... Western countries with free speech may possibly

have some people die from laughing when they read this latest statement.

I wonder if he has even the slightest concept about how much face he

has just lost.......

Speaking of rose what ever happened those Thais terrorizing her in the UK? The weird melted plastic looking high so girl and 'DJ Ken' (the guy that flashed a gun on camera while threatening her, and then went to spray paint a Thai flag on her house, turned out it was the wrong house, idiot)

I know he got arrested for that but did Rose press charges? Couple of absolute morons, the rest of the world aren't fanatical idiots like you and forcing your views on people.

• Like 1

Nonsense read below.

So are you saying if we aussies expressed our opinion ions about our queen we can be arrested under thai law? If a thai wanted to say something about our queen we wouldn't care less either would she. Maybe we are a little less sensitive and don't cry as easily as thais. They need to grow a pair, harden up and catch up with the real world. Over sensitive little petals.

Yes, you can be arrested under Thai law:

The third group is insult against the Head of State of foreign countries or lèse-majesté. Insulting or threatening the King, Queen, Consort, Heir-apparent or Head of State of foreign countries (Section 133), which is an offence against the friendly relations with foreign states, is punishable by 1 to 7 years imprisonment or a fine of 2,000-140,000 baht, or both. The penalty for defaming, insulting or threatening the Thai Monarch, the Queen, Heir-apparent or Regent (Section 112) is imprisonment for a 3 of three to 15 years. Insulting or defaming a representative of a foreign state accredited to the Royal Court has the penalty of imprisonment for a term of 6 months to 15 years or a fine of 1,000-10,000 baht, or both.

Scary isn't it?

well there is probably about 2 million people in Aust who have snagged off at the queen of England, her corgis and big ears noddy. Better send the BIB over with warrants and extradition them.

None of my friends back home in the UK or that I have here are at all royalist and actually see them as pointless. I can only think of one English mate (who is upper class, surprise surprise) that is royalist and was defending the Windsors to the hilt when we were winding him up back when it was the royal wedding.

But hey if people wanna love them, fine by me, I love the fact that they can express that can freely express their love and others can freely express their distaste.

*DISCLAIMER* I am of course talking about the UK Royal family here thumbsup.gif

I can't help comparing with the UK where anyone is free to say what they want about the monarchy and often do yet the institution there seems as strong and as popular as ever.

And that is the irony in clinging on to the LM-law in Thailand.

The Monarchy would probably be even more popular without it!!

Those Thais with reservations towards the Monarchy often have it because of of the LM laws.

Remove the LM laws and some sceptics will probably support the institution.

Look at Europe, where a debate about the Monarchy in the countries with royal families have not weakened the Kings/Queens, probaly quite the opposite.

But in Thailand the scumbag politicians would lose a very powerful tool .

I remember 10 or15 years ago,a time when you rarely heard of the lm law being enforced. At that time people spoke of the royal family a lot. All I heard were words of love and gratitude. Then a political group found it to be a great political tool dozens of people put in prison and they didn't even know they were committing lm. Most of these cases were not direct insults to the royal family. Around about 2007 a foreigner faced 30 years in prison for lm. Then the old guy who got 15 years for a text. He died in prison. Now I never hear anybody even mention royalty at all for fear they might unknowingly make a mistake. Sadly I have had to tell my son not to speak of the king ever in case he gets tricked to say the wrong thing.

My point is rather than talk of how much one loves the monarchy (as I do) it really is safest to say nothing at all.

• Like 1

i remember Prayuth said that living abroad is not confortable.maybe someone can be so kind to find that declaration for me

but thats a %£%&!!!!

many thais prefer to live abroad

lets be serious if there are real electronic music lovers like me here,Bangkok and Thailand is boring like hell for the music

unless some events from bangkok invaders or some big gig at bitec bangna or the songkran at ibiza