Thailand's NLA amends Article 277 to punish rapists

webfact

NLA amends Article 277 to punish rapists

12-16-2014-10-18-19-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Anyone who is less than 18 years old and who raped a minor aged 13-15 with his/her consent will be liable to punishment even if both are allowed to get married by the court.

The above is an amendment to Article 277 of the Criminal Code which was endorsed by the National Legislative Assembly today.

Assemblyman Wallop Tangkhananurak said that the admendment was meant to discourage people from committing sexual offences against a minor even if he or she consented to the commission of the offence.

He explained that most parents of the victims agreed to accept compensation from the families of the offenders so that the victims and their tormentors could get married and escape punishment.

Under the amendment, the offenders will be required to report themselves to the court periodically or placed under behavoural control.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nla-amends-article-277-punish-rapists

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-17

He explained that most parents of the victims agreed to accept compensation from the families of the offenders so that the victims and their tormentors could get married and escape punishment.

Under the amendment, the offenders will be required to report themselves to the court periodically or placed under behavoural control.

Under the amendment, it still amounts to "escape punishment" when compared to the statutory rape punishments of most other countries where the possibility of marriage as a means to avoid incarceration is non-existent.

The amendment could also be much more productive if the below concept was also non-existent (as it is in most other countries) where minors are unable to give consent and it is always considered rape.

the amendment was meant to discourage people from committing sexual offences against a minor even if he or she consented to the commission of the offence.

• Like 1

Anyone who is less than 18 years old and who raped a minor aged 13-15 with his/her consent will be liable to punishment even if both are allowed to get married by the court.

So citizens over 18 year old, can rape at will according to new law???

• Like 1

" He explained that most parents of the victims agreed to accept compensation from the families of the offenders so that the victims and their tormentors could get married and escape punishment. "

Of course for MONEY as usually.

Disgusting.

• Like 1

Anyone who is less than 18 years old and who raped a minor aged 13-15 with his/her consent will be liable to punishment even if both are allowed to get married by the court.

So citizens over 18 year old, can rape at will according to new law???

You need medical help or more education.

»Anyone who is less than 18 years old and who raped a minor aged 13-15 with his/her consent…«
I always thought that “rape” was without consent, but maybe I have misunderstood something...?

Yes. but the law in some countries has some constructs that make the act illegal regardless of consent. Commonly know as Statutory rape, you may know it by another name, ie. Carnal Knowledge and a few others i've forgotten. Example of intercourse between a 15 yr old and 18 yr old where the age of consent laws indicate 16 is the age of consent.

Therefore the 15 yr old is unable to of provided the consent required under this law, and therefore the 18 yrs has committed rape. This is despite the actual consent of both parties existing in reality, but the legal framework defines it as 16 to do so, a 15 yr old cannot provide consent that is recognized.

It is one of those awesome constructs that lawyers come up with at times, like illegal combatant and the like. But in this case, I believe consent laws were brought in to strengthen protection, though in some areas i believe they have mitigations on these too for reasons I couldn't be bothered to find out about....

anyways, Got it?

Edited by jcisco
  • Like 1

»Anyone who is less than 18 years old and who raped a minor aged 13-15 with his/her consent…«
I always thought that “rape” was without consent, but maybe I have misunderstood something...?

so what if they were both 12 what happens then