Sydney academic Barry Spurr resigns over racist emails

webfact

Sydney academic Barry Spurr resigns over racist emails

(BBC) An Australian professor and government education advisor has resigned from the University of Sydney after a row over racist emails.

Barry Spurr was suspended by university officials in October after using offensive language in emails obtained by magazine New Matilda.

The emails were sent over two years and revealed that he referred to Muslims as "Mussies" and Asians as "Chinky-poos".

The poetry professor said the remarks were part of a "whimsical" game.

The university released a statement on Thursday morning saying that Prof Spurr had submitted his resignation and that it had been accepted.

"At Professor Spurr's request, the university will provide no further comment on this matter," the statement said.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30526966

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-18

"You call those racist emails? Crikey!"

The U of Sydney administration should take a little field trip to America.

"Totalitarian control", 555?

In America, they used to call it "respect".

You know, when White Christian Males were the subject of derision...

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

So his Politically Correct Masters/Mistresses (as the case may be) at the University Of Sydney, SPURRED his resignation over perceived Racial Slurs?

Lucky the well-intentioned "Thought Police" at the "UNSVERSITY" of "SIDNEE" are not living in Thailand, they'd get their G-strings in a right old knot over the term, FERANG!

Well, wouldn't they? Perchance NOT....after all, Political Correctness is just another name, for a "One Way Street."

You are probably quite correct in the general direction of your post - racism against farang is very widespread - and government endorsed (dual pricing policy that specifies that farang must pay a premium for the same thing that a local can buy for a much lower price)...

But you are wrong to base this on the term "farang", which is a totally acceptable word for caucasian foreigner. It is not derogatory,although it is specific,as are "jin" for chinese, and "khak" for Indian/Pakistani.

It is though that the word "farang" is a shortened, and localised version of the French term (in French) for their language... "Francais" - when pronounced by a Thai adhering to proper Thai pronunciation, it comes out sounding like "farang-set".

Totalitarian thought control at its worst. Universities in the West will not be happy until they someday resemble Khmer Rouge Re-education Camps.

there's much, much more to this story than reported. this guy was a total a..........e. think closer to the n word mentality for this idiot who was responsible for the enaction of a new federal education system. he's a total idiot and glad he's gone.

• Like 1

So his Politically Correct Masters/Mistresses (as the case may be) at the University Of Sydney, SPURRED his resignation over perceived Racial Slurs?

Lucky the well-intentioned "Thought Police" at the "UNSVERSITY" of "SIDNEE" are not living in Thailand, they'd get their G-strings in a right old knot over the term, FERANG!

Well, wouldn't they? Perchance NOT....after all, Political Correctness is just another name, for a "One Way Street."

You are probably quite correct in the general direction of your post - racism against farang is very widespread - and government endorsed (dual pricing policy that specifies that farang must pay a premium for the same thing that a local can buy for a much lower price)...

But you are wrong to base this on the term "farang", which is a totally acceptable word for caucasian foreigner. It is not derogatory,although it is specific,as are "jin" for chinese, and "khak" for Indian/Pakistani.

It is though that the word "farang" is a shortened, and localised version of the French term (in French) for their language... "Francais" - when pronounced by a Thai adhering to proper Thai pronunciation, it comes out sounding like "farang-set".

That is, unless the word "farang" is used as a derisive expletive wink.png

Totalitarian thought control at its worst. Universities in the West will not be happy until they someday resemble Khmer Rouge Re-education Camps.

there's much, much more to this story than reported. this guy was a total a..........e. think closer to the n word mentality for this idiot who was responsible for the enaction of a new federal education system. he's a total idiot and glad he's gone.

Too many people being fired and seeing their careers destroyed simply for uttering an opinion. Restrictions on thought, limitations on political speech or artistic expression leads to societies huddled in fear and people constantly looking over their shoulder. Our reality now mimics Orwell's police state whose highest offense was to be guilty of Thought Crimes.

Indeed an Orwellian denial of free speech, as Stephen Fry observed after uttering a word out of place himself.

http://stephen-fry-me.tumblr.com/post/59775876379/am-i-an-islamophobe

By the n word you mean nigger, why are people so upset with this word is used, as all my black friends say it all the time to each other, so why the big upset, there is not a word that can piss me off because off my colour, it is only considered bad when other people say it is bad, like follow the leader crap, and if it is such a bad word why the <deleted> is it said every 2 mins when I watch a movie with lots of black people in it, like boys in the hood and many more, or is it only when a white person says it that it is considered racist, then that person must be the racist one if he or she only accepts its ok to be said by a black person, I hate this racist card shit, it is so easy to play.

Dear Lord don't you feel sorry for all those poor white men who've been oppressed and held down from positions of power and control for at least 10 minutes.

Whatever are they going to do now the brown folks, women and gays are requiring equal rights and treatment?

My Lord it's a wonder their heads don't explode!

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Dear Lord don't you feel sorry for all those poor white men who've been oppressed and held down from positions of power and control for at least 10 minutes.

Of course, as we all know, there's no such thing as the white working class. All whites have been in positions of power including dock workers, road sweepers and postmen.:rolleyes:
  • Like 2

Of course, as we all know, there's no such thing as the white working class. All whites have been in positions of power including dock workers, road sweepers and postmen.rolleyes.gif

White males are more likely to actually be employed in the first place...

"Political Correctness" is nothing new.

It used to be called "respect", when White Christian Males (CWM) were the subject of derision.

When women, minorities and other religions started demanding "respect", too....

...then the Misogynist, Racist, Xenophobic CWM Bigots started calling it "Political Correctness", 555

• Like 2

As someone who made a living from assembling words on a page, this guy HAD to know that his actions would have consequences. Academics with tenure live in the delusion that they are basically 'unsackable' - clearly, our Prof friend found out otherwise. Given the number of Asians - particularly Chinese - employed by most Australian universities today, I'm astounded that he thought 'chinky-poo' was in any way acceptable language. Talk about Gyro Gearloose ....

• Like 1

The term "black" is a perfectly acceptable term for an African; I can however, use it in a way which is wholly innapropriate and offensive

"You call those racist emails? Crikey!"

The U of Sydney administration should take a little field trip to America.

"Totalitarian control", 555?

In America, they used to call it "respect".

You know, when White Christian Males were the subject of derision...

Actually white Christian males are the only group left that can

be the subject of derision under US law. All other groups are protected using the concept of a hate crime. Women, blacks, gays, etc all fall

under that umbrella of protection. So white males, with no law

to protect them from being made fun of, must learn to use their

wits to fight back verbally from these attacks..... Hey maybe that will

keep them sharp !! clap2.gif

Well I'm a people-ist: I like some people and dislike others regardless of race, religion or sexual prefernce, HOWEVER, I'm automatically screwed when the <deleted> that crosses my path is not a white, straight male and I voice my displeasure at crossing paths with the fool.