Does the Province of Phichit have the worst roads in Thailand?

NoshowJones

Just back from a motorbike road trip to Mukdahan for my marriage visa, living in Phichit and being used to some dreadful roads that have never been resurfaced in the nine years I have lived here, parts of the 113 to Petchabun are really bad.

All the way to Mukdahan and never came across such dreadful roads as there is in the Phichit province. What is the reason for this? I have traveled on roads over most of Thailand and never seen so many bad road surfaces.

Is it corruption? I'm not saying it is, but is it? Are certain people putting money into their pockets the is meant for the upkeep of the roads? or is it something else?

• Like 1

About the same as the rest of Isaan - but hey man - Mai pen Rai - we are about to spend 2 trillion on a rail link to Beijing - who cares about local probs????

I had no problems with the roads from Petchabun to Mukdahan and back, and a lot of them are in Issan.

The worst road I found is in Mukdahan. It's on the by-pass heading east from road #12 to 212 north of town. Built about one year ago, it started to fall apart a few months later. Patches cover most of the road. The worst is at the beginning off of 12. I always wondered what if anything happens to the contractor. Is he fined or forced to fix the road? Is he not considered for other road building?

There are 5 reasons for the roads being bad:-.

1. Neglect, instead of repairing the road the money goes somewhere else.

2. They are built badly in the first place, by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else.

3. They are poorly repaired by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else.

4. They are built badly in the first place, by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else, then when they quickly fall apart they are poorly repaired, by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else, then when the repairs don't hold, they get another budget, but the money goes somewhere else.

But then there is another problem...what the hell do they do with all those BMW's?

5. They have an earthquake, or landslide, but the money has already gone somewhere else.

Edited by AllanB

No, Buriram has the worst!

Totally agree, I don't know the name of the road but was a main road of two lanes, no reflectors on either edge of the carriageway, no painted centre lines, potholes everywhere and had to drive it at night in pouring rain. I have been driving for 50 years, B Doubles,semis, rigid vehicles, buses. car and motorcycles, I never knew fear until that night, despite reducing speed to 20 k's per hour. This arose because I was unable to see the roadway, the rain was that heavy, the potholes and the way the other drivers were handling the conditions, not slowing down and hugging the centre of the carriageway..

• Like 1

Why does nearly every subject, regardless of what it relates to, always has someone bring up corruption.. And yes I am aware that there is a problem in many fields but can't we go just one post without this being mentioned. So your questions are; Is it? Not saying it is but is it? Are some people putting money in their pockets or is something else responsible? Can't make up your mind which one? A bet each way and baiting the field? Wanting to take simple question off on a whole new tangent?

I tell you what, my brother in law's brother is head of the roads department in Phitchit, maybe you would like to ask him. Get your information direct from the horse's mouth rather then those who know all, know nothing, on here. But if you do then I would suggest you phrase your questions with caution as I can assure you if you don't then you will find out very quickly how the defamation laws work here.

Edited by Si Thea01

The worst road I found is in Mukdahan. It's on the by-pass heading east from road #12 to 212 north of town. Built about one year ago, it started to fall apart a few months later. Patches cover most of the road. The worst is at the beginning off of 12. I always wondered what if anything happens to the contractor. Is he fined or forced to fix the road? Is he not considered for other road building?

I was not on that road, coming from Kalasin, on the 12, I made a left turn to the Friendship Bridge, then went the back way into Mukdahan to find a hotel.

There are 5 reasons for the roads being bad:-.

1. Neglect, instead of repairing the road the money goes somewhere else.

2. They are built badly in the first place, by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else.

3. They are poorly repaired by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else.

4. They are built badly in the first place, by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else, then when they quickly fall apart they are poorly repaired, by a cheap contractor and the rest of the money goes somewhere else, then when the repairs don't hold, they get another budget, but the money goes somewhere else.

But then there is another problem...what the hell do they do with all those BMW's?

5. They have an earthquake, or landslide, but the money has already gone somewhere else.

Great post Allan, I think you have got it spot on.

Have you ever ridden in Tak? Pothole central, but that could also be said of the road from Nakhon Panom to Nong Khai.

Oh yeah, don't forget the Bang Na - Trat frontage road. And we could add the road along the Cambodian border in Surin.

Too many to name, will take a while to fix it all.

But no bad words about Pranburi, like a racetrack down there.

I remember driving from Pichit to Phitsanalok at about 7pm, not sure which road as we were driving from Ko Chang to Chiang Mai during the floods of 2011 and the diversions were never ending.

Anyway, I didn't see one of those pot holes. Worst road I've ever driven. If ever anyone purchases a Toyota Yaris from Hertz car rental, I'm sorry if the shocks are ****ed. Glad it wasn't my car.

Following my recent road trip, I would like to redefine the meaning of the phrase "the worst road".

The absolute worst road is one that starts off like a newly surfaced billiard table and just as you get settled, in cruising mode enjoying the view, a pothole appears covering the entire width of the road. This pothole is beautifully camouflaged by the shade of a tree and is so deep you can feel the heat from the earths core as your front wheel disappears from view. Or it is just round a nice sweeping left hand bend, on a downhill stretch...........small fart (sounds). perhaps more.

Why does nearly every subject, regardless of what it relates to, always has someone bring up corruption.. And yes I am aware that there is a problem in many fields but can't we go just one post without this being mentioned. So your questions are; Is it? Not saying it is but is it? Are some people putting money in their pockets or is something else responsible? Can't make up your mind which one? A bet each way and baiting the field? Wanting to take simple question off on a whole new tangent?

I tell you what, my brother in law's brother is head of the roads department in Phitchit, maybe you would like to ask him. Get your information direct from the horse's mouth rather then those who know all, know nothing, on here. But if you do then I would suggest you phrase your questions with caution as I can assure you if you don't then you will find out very quickly how the defamation laws work here.

Yes defamation helps the guilty and corrupt a lot you bringing it up shows a lot of course.

Fact is that everyone wants to be head of roads and construction because a lot of money is to be made.

I want to bet that your brother in law's brother has far more wealth as his salary can account for.

• Like 1

Yes defamation helps the guilty and corrupt a lot you bringing it up shows a lot of course.

Fact is that everyone wants to be head of roads and construction because a lot of money is to be made.

I want to bet that your brother in law's brother has far more wealth as his salary can account for.

A very knowledge farang are we? No, I don't think so, just another loud mouth who opens his mouth before putting his brain into gear. You would not have a clue so why the BS, not everyone's a crook. like you seem to intimate. The laws work both ways in case you don't know.

As far as for you waning to bet, I'd say you mouth is bigger than your wallet, so who are you trying to impress, not me that's for sure. I know, through his lifestyle, that he is not living above his means and he has is a company vehicle, (not a prestige import) so just go back to your bar stool and contemplate what you will never know.

A very knowledge farang are we? No, I don't think so, just another loud mouth who opens his mouth before putting his brain into gear. You would not have a clue so why the BS, not everyone's a crook. like you seem to intimate. The laws work both ways in case you don't know.

As far as for you waning to bet, I'd say you mouth is bigger than your wallet, so who are you trying to impress, not me that's for sure. I know, through his lifestyle, that he is not living above his means and he has is a company vehicle, (not a prestige import) so just go back to your bar stool and contemplate what you will never know.

If he does not live above his lifestyle then its a pretty good indication he is not corrupt. You can see that I cannot. But you starting with defamation does not really help. I don't know if you have followed the news but the ministery that goes over the roads is always a post people want as money is to be made. They even caught some guys with millions and millions int heir house connected to that agency.

But perhaps (and you know that better as me) he is not connected to the money might be different local vs central.

• Like 1

If he does not live above his lifestyle then its a pretty good indication he is not corrupt. You can see that I cannot. But you starting with defamation does not really help. I don't know if you have followed the news but the ministery that goes over the roads is always a post people want as money is to be made. They even caught some guys with millions and millions int heir house connected to that agency.

But perhaps (and you know that better as me) he is not connected to the money might be different local vs central.

A much more sensible post. Regardless of what I brought up one should never be critical of intimate that others may be corrupt unless they know for sure that they are. If you read my post correctly, it was suggested that if anyone thought he was doing anything untoward then they should approach him and get your answers direct from him but in doing so be careful how the questions were phrased because if he was defamed then you would find out how the laws work. And they work both ways,. one for the crooks to shut up their opposition or two for the good people, who people make allegations they have no hope of substantiating. . I know the man very well and you don't, yet you post in such a provocative manner. Maybe you should take a good look at yourself if you continue to post in a manner that suggests that everyone is on the take. Believe me, there are many who aren't and are just good hard working people.

My comment about corruption and road building was supposed to be a joke, but as with most jokes there is an element of truth in it. I was not suggesting that all Thais are corrupt, or indeed all Thai government officials are, but I do know of one obvious example here in Khon Kaen, so there must be more.

I think the problem with corruption here is that when someone puts their hand in the till, the job suffers, whereas in the west, the taxpayer picks up the tab. As a result western corruption is less noticeable.

There just isn't the money here to build and maintain good roads, I am sure the roads in Dubai are quite good, lest someone should damage their Ferrari, or Bugatti Veyron.

I am surprised more people don't buy "dirtbikes" they are a lot more practical on our roads.

• Like 1

A much more sensible post. Regardless of what I brought up one should never be critical of intimate that others may be corrupt unless they know for sure that they are. If you read my post correctly, it was suggested that if anyone thought he was doing anything untoward then they should approach him and get your answers direct from him but in doing so be careful how the questions were phrased because if he was defamed then you would find out how the laws work. And they work both ways,. one for the crooks to shut up their opposition or two for the good people, who people make allegations they have no hope of substantiating. . I know the man very well and you don't, yet you post in such a provocative manner. Maybe you should take a good look at yourself if you continue to post in a manner that suggests that everyone is on the take. Believe me, there are many who aren't and are just good hard working people.

The proof is all around you and I have encountered it many times. Example, gf is a tourguide often goverments get a budget of a million and pass it down saying 900.000 is the budget and ask for a 1 million bill. Then in turn this is brought down again and again, in the end leaving just a little bit to pay for the trip while the officials have stolen loads of money. This is a fact and been told countless times by the gf.

Now if you look in this country corruption is easy to find, but you are right not everyone is corrupt but many are. I have lived here for a while and I know the score. You are right too that not everyone is on the take but quite a large percentage is. You should honestly look at yourself and ask yourself if what I am saying is so crazy. If you look good you will see mayors of small towns taking their cut from construction of roads and such. You will see projects getting completed with substandard materials and such because they are bribed nobody will challenge it.

Corruption is quite normal here and denying that is just crazy.

But not EVERYONE is corrupt but a large part is.

• Like 1

The proof is all around you and I have encountered it many times. Example, gf is a tourguide often goverments get a budget of a million and pass it down saying 900.000 is the budget and ask for a 1 million bill. Then in turn this is brought down again and again, in the end leaving just a little bit to pay for the trip while the officials have stolen loads of money. This is a fact and been told countless times by the gf.

Now if you look in this country corruption is easy to find, but you are right not everyone is corrupt but many are. I have lived here for a while and I know the score. You are right too that not everyone is on the take but quite a large percentage is. You should honestly look at yourself and ask yourself if what I am saying is so crazy. If you look good you will see mayors of small towns taking their cut from construction of roads and such. You will see projects getting completed with substandard materials and such because they are bribed nobody will challenge it.

Corruption is quite normal here and denying that is just crazy.

But not EVERYONE is corrupt but a large part is.

I have not denied anything. I am just realistic and unless I see with my own eyes then I do not comment. What your girlfriend has told you is not fact, it is only hearsay, unless she has shown you direct evidence or you have seen it for yourself. As I was in law enforcement for 30 years I do not pay a lot of attention to hearsay, nor do I assume or speculate, as many on here tend to do. I have read many stories on here that some swear are factual but at no time have any of the posters produced evidence to substantiate their claims.

No, I don't need to look at myself and I am not saying it is crazy what you have said, it is just not substantiated by any factual evidence. Anyone can post claims on here, it then gets picked up by others, who add their own little bit and by the end it is treated as genuine. I am not saying that corruption does not exist but to make unfounded claims is only sensationalising a topic not substantiating the allegations. Would you like some anonymous person to make unfounded allegations against yourself.