When you first came to Thailand - do you remember where you stayed?

David48

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montien hotel Bangkok in 1974.

They gave us a map with an area marked in red and a don't go there warning.

We were 6 couples so as soon as we sent the wives shopping we guys headed for what is Patpong - got shanghaied and locked in for the afternoon.

I was going to India and after 2 weeks in Amsterdam I went to the airline to buy a ticket. They told me that they didn’t fly to India and I bought a one way ticket to Singapore. (We made a stop in Bombay and I was not happy as I was not allowed to leave the flight)

I took the train to Bangkok and I meet a guy in Kuala Lumpur and he recommended Miami Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 13 as the very best hotel in Bangkok.

I stayed for one night and I left, hot water, only if I sat down in the bath tub as there was not enough pressure on the water for me to stand up taking the shower. I left for Malaysia Hotel at Ngam Duplee as this had been recommended to me on my first evening. First beer at Landmark Hotel. I ordered a beer and the Waitress asked what kind of beer I wanted. I asked what kind of beers they had in Thailand.

- Singha and Kloster

- Which beer is the most popular?

- Singha

- OK, I take a Singha

I started to cry, it was the worst beer I have ever had. But Kloster was very good and it was 2 or 3 Baht more than the Singha. If I remember it right Singha was 20 Baht. Back then there were only 2 beers available in pubs and restaurants and Chang was something the bums bought a the MOM & POP shops drinking from brown bags on the streets.

Miami%20Hotel.jpg

Miami Hotel

Sukhumvit.jpg

Light traffic on Sukhumvit

Sukhumvit2.jpg

We recognise Landmark Hotel

Soi-Ngam-Duplee.jpg

A bit of wildlife on Ngam Duplee, not far away from the classic BLUE FOX back in the days

Satorn.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is Satorn close to Malaysia Hotel

I do remember, 8 years ago.

It was the Davis Hotel in Sumcuvit 22 I believe.

At the end of the road was the Emporium shopping mall and just opposite that the best fish restaurant in BKK.

I was really impressed with the size of the room and the price.

If I remember well it was 2000 Baht a night.

The best 2 weeks of my life......mind you, I never came out of the room, except going down to the restaurant.

No, I'm lying.....went once to the Emporium, because they wanted their hair done and twice to the fish restaurant.

I arrived on February 14th 2003 (yes Valentine's day and wasn't Soi Cowboy something to behold).

Came with 4 mates for a 10 day fishing holiday (honestly we did).

Stayed at the Somerset hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 15 which was very nice but a little run down

and a couple of years later was totally renovated and went a little upmarket for us.

I remember we were getting 72 Baht per GBP at the time.

Returned the following year for the wedding of one of the guys to a girl he met on that first trip.

Been back almost every year since but now often stay with a mate who lives just outside Chiang Mai.

CP49

I arrived on February 14th 2003 (yes Valentine's day and wasn't Soi Cowboy something to behold).

Came with 4 mates for a 10 day fishing holiday (honestly we did).

Stayed at the Somerset hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 15 which was very nice but a little run down

and a couple of years later was totally renovated and went a little upmarket for us.

I remember we were getting 72 Baht per GBP at the time.

Returned the following year for the wedding of one of the guys to a girl he met on that first trip.

Been back almost every year since but now often stay with a mate who lives just outside Chiang Mai.

CP49

CP49 ... mate, as an aside ... are those two still married?

Happy?

Yes David, still married and living in Newcastle (Geordieland to the uninitiated) but

have to admit that there have been a few ups and downs.

It seems that when Thai girls

get together with their compatriots in a foreign country they make lifestyle comparisons

that can cause quite some disruption to the marital harmony.

Not to mention their preponderance to

gamble away everything they have (or don't have).

Anyway, I just hope they stay together as this is second time round for them both.

CP49

As to them being Happy....not so easy to tell.

Edited by chaophraya49

Arrived Bkk May 1985, got railroaded to some guesthouse near Sathorn. Can't remember a thing about it other than workers were still constructing the place and welding a gate without safety glasses, and the guv chewing out the staff for allowing a French drug addict to stay there. Later trip stayed at the Malaysia Hotel. The less said about this one-time institution, the better.

Arrived Bkk May 1985, got railroaded to some guesthouse near Sathorn. Can't remember a thing about it other than workers were still constructing the place and welding a gate without safety glasses, and the guv chewing out the staff for allowing a French drug addict to stay there. Later trip stayed at the Malaysia Hotel. The less said about this one-time institution, the better.

The notorious Boston Inn??