New Toyota Camry 2006

Scenium11

Boaring maybe, but not as boaring as the Range Rover. Sold a 7 year old one a few months back..... got so board of going into the repair shop every month or so. ( made in the UK i think :o ).

Camry is great, not as good as the 4x4 ( keep the shift held in and its $x$ which is very appropriate ) in squeezing taxi's out of your way, but i love the reliability and low fuel costs. Alot easier too for long distance trecks cause more stable on the road.

Boaring maybe, but very practical.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear PLUS

- The BMW M6 costs RM1,000,000.00 in Malaysia. A MILLION Ringgit.

- The BMW 525i costs RM400,000.00.

- The 320i about RM250,000.00.

RM3.65 = USD1.

Sincerely

Andre

those who seek a more engaging driving experience (5 series, not E-class).

I've never seen anyone driving his shiny new 5 series any different from Camry. Second hand - yes, new - never.

BMW 5 here cost nearly 150,000 USD. Do they even have Bimmers for that price in the US?

Ok, got it. The most expensive, top range 7 series BMW in the States is 120,000 USD, about 4.5 mil Baht - the price of BMW 525SE here with 190 hp engine - a ######ing joke.

And Camry?

BMW prices seem to be more or less the same as here. You import 3 series from Thailand and 5 series from Indonesia, right? Does AFTA apply as well - 5% import duty.

I have no idea why European cars are so expensive here. What do they make them from, platinum? It's three times more for every part, three times more engineering, three times more for labour. How can they do it???

From the middle class point view it's a total waste of hard earned money.

I have no idea why European cars are so expensive here. What do they make them from, platinum? It's three times more for every part, three times more engineering, three times more for labour. How can they do it???

Obviously part of the reason is unlike most Japanese makes, they are not so keen on sourcing the parts and components locally (either in Thailand or within ASEAN), but rather import most of the components that goes into the assembly from their existing supply chain in their home market, which are obviously dutied (although I don't know the rate), while most Japanese makes achieve 70 - 80% local contents or even higher, albeit many of their contractors are also Japanese suppliers but operating in Thailand (and many more local and locally represented Japanese sub-contractors, including my company). Though, this doesn't explain the 3 times price difference, IMO.

I have seen a BMW assembly plant in Amata Rayong (where they build 7 series). It was much simpler a plant and smaller in scale than BMW 3 series plant I've seen in Munich or for that matter a plant of a major component contractor for Japanese automaker (Denso in Amata Nakorn). It seemed pretty obviously to me many of the components at the BMW Rayong plant are already sub-assembled elsewhere before they are brought to Rayong for final assembly.

Edited by Nordlys

Here she is ... the brand new Camry!

Entry level with 2.0 engine (147hp) @ 1,299,000bahts

And 2.4 (167hp) from 1,469,000 to 1,749,000 with GPS and DVD.

Wow, that pricing is kind of shocking. In Canada that 2.4 is $25,800 Cdn/870,000 bt (plus 7% GST, like a VAT), with 158 hp/218 nm and 5-speed auto transmission.

I assume there are copious tariffs/taxes on the car.

Yes, there are. Anything that's not classified as Pick-Up or passenger transport vehicle gets taxed like crazy, anywhere from 50% - 200%. Worst are cars with bigger engines imported from non-ASEAN countries - they just cost 2 - 3x as much in Thailand.

I guess the big idea behind it is to make Thailand a hub for Pick-Up trucks. It's worked fairly well so whos to argue. But it hurts that an entry level BMW goes for the price of a Porsche back home.

I'm considering the new Camry, trading off my BMW, its so expensive buying cars here in Thailand. I tried putting gas in the BM, but apparently it cannot be done. Does anyone have any ideas about how the engine can be adjusted to take NGV? Its a 323iA m3 model with 18" Alloy wheels, I'll sell for 1.2-1.3 million 65000km 2003model. Well, looking forward to the new Camry:)

I hate to disapoint you but it ain't an M3 its not even close!!!! Just a 323 E46 and big rims nothing M about it.......you still need to change the front airdam/bumper, sideskirts and rear diffuser before you can even think of trying to pass it off as an M car......but then anyone who knows about BMs' will still be able to instantly tell your trying to pass off a lower spec model as something it isn't :o

Edited by moonoi

Dear PULS

In Malaysia....

OLD / CURRENT MODEL

1) CAMRY 2.0E - RM135,000.00.

2) CAMRY 2.4L - RM164,000.00.

NEW Model will be launched in October 2006.

The BMW 3 series AND 5 series are NOW assembled in Malaysia. For the past 2 months or so. The prices are HIGH cos they are considered LUXURY items.

Sincerely

Andre

And Camry?

BMW prices seem to be more or less the same as here. You import 3 series from Thailand and 5 series from Indonesia, right? Does AFTA apply as well - 5% import duty.

Here is the price list and specs from Toyota website

http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model/camry/camry_price.asp

6 colors

- white (at last!). White is the classy trendy color in Japan!

- beige

- silver Metal

- Medium silver Metal

- Dark Blue

- Black

Can you tell me in which language the Navigation System is working....?? in Thai ????

I have no idea, Chevrolet is the only company so far that imports cars from Australia, afaik.

Camry is the most boring car? Maybe back in the US or Europe. Here, in Thailand, there are only two other cars in its segment - Nissan Tiana and Accord.

Boring, more boring, and the most boring - that much is true.

I contacted Holden (Chevrolet Aus) to see if they were going to export the Monaro to Thailand, they told me on the phone that they do not export any cars to Thailand. What models are you talking about? cheers

6 colors

- beige

- silver Metal

- Medium silver Metal

- Dark Blue

- Black

Can you tell me in which language the Navigation System is working....?? in Thai ????

Englisss ok;I tried it

I have no idea, Chevrolet is the only company so far that imports cars from Australia, afaik.

Camry is the most boring car? Maybe back in the US or Europe. Here, in Thailand, there are only two other cars in its segment - Nissan Tiana and Accord.

Boring, more boring, and the most boring - that much is true.

I contacted Holden (Chevrolet Aus) to see if they were going to export the Monaro to Thailand, they told me on the phone that they do not export any cars to Thailand. What models are you talking about? cheers

Not sure what the Holden model is called but over here its the Chevrolet Lumina

EDIT: Did a bit of research but the only referance I could find was on the wiki (not the most accurate source so I don't entirely trust it) which claims the Thai Lumina is a rebadged Holden Commodore

Edited by moonoi

6 colors

- beige

- silver Metal

- Medium silver Metal

- Dark Blue

- Black

I can't find any finance and insurance information on the Toyota site.

Does anybody know the finance and insurance cost from for the new camry's?

(PS. not currently in Thailand)

Different dealers tied up with different finance companies and they wouldn't mind if you find better finance options, I think. Usually they offer the best THEY can find. I don't know what the interests rates are at the moment, sorry.

First class insurance for the first year is included in sticker price, but provider depend on the dealer, and unfortunately, is not negotiable. Maybe you CAN choose your own insurer, but what if there's a difference in price? We always changed providers after the first year.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaysfeld,

Honda and Toyota are usually on the 3,5% interest. It might move depending on the downpayment you are doing (from 10% to 25%).

First class insurance can often be offered by the dealer. The next years will be for you. Around 35/40kb for a Camry (depending on the version and engine).

wimsikkes,

GPS comes in Thai and English

No idea about leadtime to get the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes indeed! A new 3.5 version is coming up based on the 2.4V navigation specs including some added electronic feature and safety and especially including a 6 speed sequencial.

I hope that Toyota will be able to keep it at the 1,99mb but it might go over the 2mb. Let's wait and see.

Introducing 3.5l engine is a big big step for Toyota. It will break through all tax barriers, and they need to sell quite a lot to justify local production. 3l Accord sales are less then inspiring. At the moment it seems that it's just not worth it as they also need to train all their service centers, supply parts and so on.

What if for some reason Thailand drops import and excise taxes on hybrids? Will they import hybrid Camry? Thailand needs a second vehicle category to supplement pickups. Why not hybrids? Let them start with importing ans servicing them, producing local spare parts, then, in due time, they might start assembling them here. That would be revolutionary.

What we might have is Civic type R with 220 hp engine for a price of Camry.

Finally got the price. The 3.5l dual VVT-i model will be more a flagship model than a best seller. 2,85mb is the money you'll have to spend to get it. A great 3.5l V6 engine bringing 272hp ! You'll get pre-crash system, a dynamic radar cruise control,

For comparison, you can also go for the Lexus IS250 with also the 3.5l V6 engine producing 212hp at 2,99mb.

Who wants one? You'll then have to choose between the 6 colors proposed.

as a motorcyclist, every day commuting through bkk traffic between the cars, it occured to me that the camry's are always blocking. i.e. they are always driving closer to mid road than other cars. First I thought I was imaging it, but now I'm sure. More than 80% of camry's do it. Must be either blamed on their extreemly fat ass or somehow the driver does not have good view of the right side of the car (so I am talking about camry's driving in the right lane) and therefore keeping away from it to be safe....

Wow, that pricing is kind of shocking. In Canada that 2.4 is $25,800 Cdn/870,000 bt (plus 7% GST, like a VAT), with 158 hp/218 nm and 5-speed auto transmission.

I assume there are copious tariffs/taxes on the car.

Yes, there are. Anything that's not classified as Pick-Up or passenger transport vehicle gets taxed like crazy, anywhere from 50% - 200%. Worst are cars with bigger engines imported from non-ASEAN countries - they just cost 2 - 3x as much in Thailand.

I guess the big idea behind it is to make Thailand a hub for Pick-Up trucks. It's worked fairly well so whos to argue. But it hurts that an entry level BMW goes for the price of a Porsche back home.

I'm considering the new Camry, trading off my BMW, its so expensive buying cars here in Thailand. I tried putting gas in the BM, but apparently it cannot be done. Does anyone have any ideas about how the engine can be adjusted to take NGV? Its a 323iA m3 model with 18" Alloy wheels, I'll sell for 1.2-1.3 million 65000km 2003model. Well, looking forward to the new Camry:)

post-18603-1157175176_thumb.jpgpost-18603-1157175176_thumb.jpg

Camry not boring! How old are you 80+?

BMW 323m3!!!! Did you know there is no such thing????? How can you be a BMW owner and write such a thing? You either have an M3 or you don't. You don't. You may have the m3 sport pacKage... a fancy steering wheel, and some nice rims... but those items MAKE NOT AN M3. But if you think your car performs like an M3, then the Camry is definitley for you.

As a former M3 owner, and unfortunatley now an 2.4 Q Camry.... the Camry is the benchmark of boring.

?? 2.85ml bht for a Camry, that's about 76k USD ??

For that price I'd rather get a C-Class, sure it's smaller than the Camry but 2.85 is not worth it for a Camry, no-way no-how.

I think Camry are nice cars, especially this new redesigned model.

People who buy a Toyota Camry do so because they feel it is a safe choice. They know that it is a car that does everything right, lasts seemingly forever with only basic maintenance, and doesn't call attention to itself. Camry owners think of themselves as sensible people with good taste who make smart buying decisions. They are generally not automotive enthusiasts and consider their car as another appliance just like their refrigerator or vacuum cleaner.

Above is a quote from an online article, which I agree. I don't think Camry's are boring, but they're also not "racey".

I've out-grown my "racer-boy" - "Initial-D" attitude a few years back. :o

Indo Regarding: "Racer Boy" attitude. You may not agree with those that love cars, specifically cars that enspire dreams.... But please don't spurn those that do.

Sadly, due to environmental constraints and oil consumption.... I think we will soon see the end of such vehicles.

For those that would like an a care slightly more tame than an M3, but still has spirit, the BMW 330 is a good option. But there are very expensive in Thailand. 2+ million.

Nope, for now on it is Tuk Tuks and Toyotas for me....

330 for 2+ mil? Forget it. That's the price of 318 and 320. 330 costs well over 4 million.

That 3.5l Camry will not be for regular Camry customers, it's for buyers of BMW 5 series and Benz E-class, people who need comfort and luxury, not driving dynamics. It's easily the best car money can buy - size, power, everything but the badge.

Camry is already the choice of rich people on budget and now BMW might start shaking in their little boots - 5 series is their best selling model. If it threatens Benz C-class, there will be a war. Tough choice really, the cheapest Benz with 143hp or bigger Camry with 272hp for the same price.

I don't know if we can scramble 2.85 mil for it, it's a lot of extra money. We'll probably settle on the regular 2.4l, or wait for new CRV, or maybe even new Accord.

330 for 2+ mil? Forget it. That's the price of 318 and 320. 330 costs well over 4 million.

That 3.5l Camry will not be for regular Camry customers, it's for buyers of BMW 5 series and Benz E-class, people who need comfort and luxury, not driving dynamics. It's easily the best car money can buy - size, power, everything but the badge.

Camry is already the choice of rich people on budget and now BMW might start shaking in their little boots - 5 series is their best selling model. If it threatens Benz C-class, there will be a war. Tough choice really, the cheapest Benz with 143hp or bigger Camry with 272hp for the same price.

I don't know if we can scramble 2.85 mil for it, it's a lot of extra money. We'll probably settle on the regular 2.4l, or wait for new CRV, or maybe even new Accord.

I stand corrected it is in the 4 million ball park. My wife and I looked at BMW's shortly after we moved here. I was shocked at the prices. I wanted a BMW to replace my M3 I gave up back home in order to come to Thailand..... (Ummm lets not discuss the dynamics of that... it hurts too much)

Any how, not only was the price a shocker, but my wife willing to spend that much was also a shocker. In the USA should would have never of agreed to such a thing... but for some reason in Thailand it was perfectly acceptable to her.

WELL IT SURE WAS NOT FOR ME! So like I said, Tuk Tuks and Toyotas for me. (DARN IT)

Yes I am with you INDO it makes my stomach churn too.

I doubt image conscious Thais would opt for a 2.85 million baht Camry over a Mercedes. If they cared that much about it they would buy the cheaper 2.4 and rebadge it.

There is also the matter that this would be, presumably, a front wheel drive car. I wouldn't touch such a car with a bargepole!

There is also the matter that this would be, presumably, a front wheel drive car. I wouldn't touch such a car with a bargepole!

Ugh. 272hp FWD boat... torque steer +understeer mated with an uninspiring marshmallow suspension and a boring facade... 100% Toyota! :o

Remember when Toyota introduced Vios Turbo? It was great advertising material, but they couldn't sell even a hundred of those, for the price of a common pickup truck.

This Camry probably will face the same fate, even though the car is totally different from that Vios.

The bulk of E-class customers don't care about front wheel drive, weight distribution, understeer, oversteer - they want prestige and luxury. They can get that from 2.4l Camry already. Will they pay another million for more power?

Will young buyers who can spend 3 mil on a car and who are looking for some excitement buy Camry? Maybe. Unless they have 5 million to buy a proper BMW5. In 2.85 mil they can get only half of Camry's power from other car makers.

Boring is a subjective opinion. New Camry got rave reviews in the US, and Thais are clearly very impressed with it already, and it's still the best value for money. If only they could rebadge it as a Benz they'd sell a thousand a month easily.

Actually total market for 3 mil baht cars is only about five thousand a year. It's out of reach for 99% of customers. If they manage to sell even a thousand, it will be a revolution in luxury segment.