China offers huge sums

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think the Thais will like being a province of China, although they will tell themselves that they are independent.

I don't think you're far wrong.

What we are not told is what China expects in return.

No complaints action when damming the upper Mekong results in the lower Mekong drying up.

Easing of regulations to allow Chinese companies entry into Thailand, employing only Chinese staff, and out-competing Thai companies.

Removal of tariffs on Chinese imports.

99 year leases on swathes of arable land for Chines agri business to operate as an extension of the Chinese production effort.

Logging and mining concessions for Chinese companies to rape the land.

The General is doing a great job trying to straighten the country out, but as an interim PM, he should not be dabbling in very long term cross border agreements. Leave that to an elected and economically/diplomatically experienced professional. There should be no rush to sign up to anything with any country, especially China.

We will never know how much China has spent in gratuities to get this deal.

And if Thaksin or Abhisit were in charge, would Thailand be far more slow in accepting deals with China ?

smile.png

Probably a bit contemplative, if Abhisit was at the helm. With a Shinawatre, the barn door is wide open.

So the junta is following in Thaksin's footsteps ? And the junta are not following Abhisit's ?

:)

Thailand is lucky to have such a great and wonderful China as a friend and partner in the 21 Centuary

China gives a lot and most all that where the great Chinese Tourist come from

Tell that to the Dharma lama tell that to the people of Tibet, tell that to the Students in Hong Kong

Edited by jollyman

Don't worry about the quality of the Chinese build railways!!

They will be of the highest standard, since they are going to transport The Red Army.

And stupid Thailand is bending over even more: "Please give me one more"

Chailand indeed!!

• Like 1

China will support the rail project in all aspects technically and financially, he said, adding: "you have my word. Chinese rail is high quality, high standard, high technology and high speed".

Good for Thailand:

high-quality-check

high-standard-check

high-technology-uhm

high-speed-oh, $hit

I assume you have tried the hexia line available readily now in China before you made this comment ?

Millions being moved daily ...

Don't worry about the quality of the Chinese build railways!!

They will be of the highest standard, since they are going to transport The Red Army.

And stupid Thailand is bending over even more: "Please give me one more"

Chailand indeed!!

Spot on, they must find a way to transport the Red army, Thailand will be VSF man (Very severely <deleted>)

The Chinese have developed a system of finance to "buy" smaller, weakly administered countries using the western concept of aid.....but their aid goes a lot further than just support.....

The infrastructure projects will be managed and largely manned up with Chinese labour and machinery.......

More cheap consumer goods will probably be dumped here....adding to the already flooded "junk" market.........

Money talks......are unfortunately, Thais are blinded by it.....as we can now see!

When the Japanese came in here bearing gifts of infrastructure years before the Chinese and now have their equipment and Yamaha , Honda , Toyotas , Isuzus and everything else used now by the Thais ...I am assuming that was also vote buying ?

It's trade diplomacy ...a welcome change as these Asians nations actual doing something here ...

not just trying to colonize them :)

• Like 2

America and the European Union. Why can't THEY turn up in Thailand, and hand out gifts, and get a bit of the action ??

Please do so with sincerity as I know there are also lots doing good work in their small ways ...it should be encouraged

This is Asia and if you have a good heart karma will exist

The Mekong region will an important region and for those planning ahead

You can make a real impact in a meaningful way.

Start learning Mandarin :) that will help you collaborate the Chinese into meaningful projects in the region and helping your community

I have always learnt instead of hating something you may not understand fully , integrate and learn from the best

It has been my guiding business principle and my personal opinion of Nanking does not stop me from interacting with real Japanese and learn the best of the JIT systems , marketing from Americans , Scandinavian methods of environmental protection and prison management ....the list goes on and on

For now the Mekong options is limited with other countries and China with such a real land based relationship instead of just a far fetching political objective has the opportunity to make things real

The amount of infrastructure projects that can benefit real communities is real and Chinese has the scale to do it and also help them engage their neighbors here

It's a big world out there and lots to learn ...I'm excited about what's coming next in the 15 years

• Like 2

America and the European Union. Why can't THEY turn up in Thailand, and hand out gifts, and get a bit of the action ??

Amtrak and the European rail had opportunities in the 80s & 90s to consolidate their position in ASEAN but helping countries with infrastructure has not really been the style.

I guess some may look at it in hindsight but it is probably too late

Hope everyone has their long spoons at the ready.

Beware the Chinese bearing gifts to paraphrase.

Haha my very first thought about this deal, which will end badly for Thailand..

For those who do not know this reference.....

" He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon".

Meaning: If you eat with the devil, you need a (very) long spoon so that you can keep your distance. If you mix with bad people, you should be careful not to be influenced by them. A warning not to get too close when dealing with evil people.

• Like 2

China also offering their own "democratic" voting system that they have imposed in HK.

Everyone can vote but only for the candidates vetted and proposed by China.

Coming soon to Thailand.

If voting actually did anything anywhere, do you think the Authorities in Power would allow anyone to actually do it?

China will support the rail project in all aspects technically and financially, he said, adding: "you have my word. Chinese rail is high quality, high standard, high technology and high speed".

Good for Thailand:

high-quality-check

high-standard-check

high-technology-uhm

high-speed-oh, $hit

Chinese tech standards are, at best, lukewarm copies of farang tech. Where a cheaper metal/alloy can be used, it will be used. Where a component can be slimmer, but suffice (in their view), it will be slimmer. It spooks me they're building an aircraft carrier (even though it is a Ukrainian hull) when any 5 of their companies can't even make a decent power strip to plug a cable in to.

As for loans. Ummm, sure. Yet another tentacle to bring Thailand closer to the octopuses' mouth.

Yes. And how many individuals running Thailand are of Chinese descent. I wonder if they consider China "The Mother Land"?????

• Like 1

More Chinese goods flocked into THL

Whole world is using stuff made in China....May not be that bad if quality is controlled properly (ehm...with Thai standards?? wink.png )... LOL...

Thai fruits and veg are being replaced in markets by Chinese produced veggies made just outside THL but cheaper, quality is definitely not the priority... I don't buy in local wet market anymore as I used to throw away half of the fruits and some of the vegs, and same with Tesco and Big C.

The fruits and veggies look exactly like Thai veg but they are disgusting

Thai farmers can't compete with Chinese prices, they are already suffering from it

BS post of the year.

This was explained to me by my Thai teacher,when I asked him about the degrading quality of fruits and veg in THL

I think the Thais will like being a province of China, although they will tell themselves that they are independent.

South East Asia has been an unofficial province of China since....forever really. Here in Thailand it is glaringly obvious. All the people at the top of politics, business etc are Thai Chinese. There's also a strong Chinese link some where else but I don't think I can mention that.

• Like 1

I don't usually quote Wikipedia, but here is a whopper of a related comment that is directly on-topic: "On 23 July 2011, two high-speed trains travelling on the Yongtaiwen railway line collided on a viaduct in the suburbs of Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China. The two trains derailed each other, and four cars fell off the viaduct. 40 people were killed, at least 192 were injured, 12 of which were severe injuries. Officials responded to the accident by hastily concluding rescue operations and ordering the burial of the derailed cars. These actions elicited strong criticism from Chinese media and online communities. In response, the government issued directives to restrict media coverage, which was met with limited compliance, even on state-owned networks."

• Like 1

I work in China most of the time, and ride the high speed rail. It is convenient, comfortable and affordable. The current rail project is suppose to be standard and a bit less of a challenge.

Part of my job in China is quality assurance. Let's hope Thailand hires the correct people to do the quality assurance.

• Like 2

......how about some big money for us high quality tourists......

....we are good for the economy too...........

...and don't forget the red envelopes......Chinese New Year is just around the corner too........

....it's not the .......'Year of the ......'Bull'.....' coming up....is it.....???

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

I don't usually quote Wikipedia, but here is a whopper of a related comment that is directly on-topic: "On 23 July 2011, two high-speed trains travelling on the Yongtaiwen railway line collided on a viaduct in the suburbs of Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China. The two trains derailed each other, and four cars fell off the viaduct. 40 people were killed, at least 192 were injured, 12 of which were severe injuries. Officials responded to the accident by hastily concluding rescue operations and ordering the burial of the derailed cars. These actions elicited strong criticism from Chinese media and online communities. In response, the government issued directives to restrict media coverage, which was met with limited compliance, even on state-owned networks."

They blamed it on signaling design , which is nonsense. And it was a foreign design surprisingly

According to Li ""you have my word. Chinese rail is high quality, high standard, high technology and high speed"

Who needs fair, open and transparent bidding, when you have the word of a communist leader to an unelected junta PM?

The amount of corruption and payoffs that will result from this scheme will make the rice scheme look like a roadside no-helmet tourist checkpoint scam.

• Like 2