Foreigner, Dressed Like Thai Police Taking The Job Too Seriously

CarlTyson

Has the Junta not proposed, as part of a shake up of the RTP, that the Tourist Police (I presume this guy is one of these) will no longer fall under the jurisdiction of the RTP but will fall under the auspices of the Ministry of Sport and Tourism? That being the case their authority (I would imagine) would be even less than it it is at present,so you should be able to tell clowns like this to 'foxtrot oscar' with impunity.

Edited by Toknarok
  • Like 2

Well, what is the actual authority of volunteer policemen?

Not what they believe themselves to have but the legal authority.

Absolutely none I understand. They're mostly just jumped up tour guides in silly clobber.

The only importance or authority they have is in their own minds.

There was an entire thread devoted to this guy and others earlier this year. The first time I saw him was outside Tukcom, but I've also seen him at the entrance to Walking Street.

Where did you encounter him? Did he ask to see your licence and rego papers? Was he with a Thai cop at the time of the inspection?

Is this guy paid or voluntary?

Does he carry a gun?

None of the Police Volunteers or Tourist Police Volunteers are allowed to carry guns. They don't get paid and have to buy their own uniform.

" buy their own uniform. " ohmy.png

You have to be jokingcheesy.gif when he was a kid he probably wore a Batman outfit rolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

I've seen him on a couple of occasions and to be honest my impression was that he appears to be a bit manic, has that wild eyed stare. What nationality is he?

Our best guess is German (no offense to anyone from there) going on reports from people who have heard him. There's a good chance of catching him near Tukcom on market days.

• Like 1

Got stopped in Chiang Mai by one a few years back. He approached me like a cop and I basically told him to f'off and kept going. He caught up with me again and completely changed his tune. He actually admitted he had no authority and that most people though he was being a twit, but in actual fact was looking out for my welfare.

I felt kind of bad because he was a decent bloke. He ended up advising me on the route for my trip and being quite nice.

I guess he had just been in Thailand a long time and wanted to feel part of the community; contributing, helping, valued in some way.

A lot of guys who move here never got any respect back home; perhaps because of the way they looked, their personality, introvert ways or general sociopathic behaviour. Thus why they move to Thailand; because the Thais they mix with don't have a clue that such a guy would be shunned by others and completely ignored by women back home. This is where the "sad, lonely, old man" moves to Thailand stereotype emerges from.

This kind of job brings meaning to their lives, makes them feel like they've achieved something and have finally gotten some respect from someone in life. I think if we can we should try to see through the bravado and have compassion.

" because the Thais they mix with don't have a clue that such a guy would be shunned by others"

don't underestimate the Thai's on this issue. I have often wondered how many Thai people have resentment at foreigners telling them what to do in their own country.

Edited by Asiantravel

A lot of guys who move here never got any respect back home; perhaps because of the way they looked, their personality, introvert ways or general sociopathic behaviour. Thus why they move to Thailand; because the Thais they mix with don't have a clue that such a guy would be shunned by others and completely ignored by women back home. This is where the "sad, lonely, old man" moves to Thailand stereotype emerges from.

This kind of job brings meaning to their lives, makes them feel like they've achieved something and have finally gotten some respect from someone in life. I think if we can we should try to see through the bravado and have compassion.

That's a nice way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it would be, that whereas back in the west the police force sometimes* acts as an outlet for people with sociopathic and authoritarian behavioural tendancies, the TVP program sometimes* acts as a fallback option for those who are so extreme that they get rejected in the west.

What's especially worrying is that there's already a fallback program in the west called being a Special, and after that there's the Traffic Warden outlet.

* (some would say often, and I'm certainly not claiming *all*)

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

There was an entire thread devoted to this guy and others earlier this year. The first time I saw him was outside Tukcom, but I've also seen him at the entrance to Walking Street.

Where did you encounter him? Did he ask to see your licence and rego papers? Was he with a Thai cop at the time of the inspection?

Is this guy paid or voluntary?

Does he carry a gun?

None of the Police Volunteers or Tourist Police Volunteers are allowed to carry guns. They don't get paid and have to buy their own uniform.

" buy their own uniform. " ohmy.png

You have to be jokingcheesy.gif when he was a kid he probably wore a Batman outfit rolleyes.gif

Hey, nothing wrong with a batman outfit. I wore one as a kid. Also a Zorro outfit and a Davy Crockett hat.

• Like 1

I have seen him a few times and he gets way out in the road to stop people like the very aggressive Thai police. For some reason he has not stopped me when I have driven by, I was surprised as I remember the last thread about him. Seems to me he thinks he is a real copper. I get stopped by the police so frequently I now expect to get stopped when they see me coming, but I am not going to stop for him if he tries, if a real cop then stops me, I will stop and tell him I thought he was just some crazy farang on the lose. I don't recommend this unless your can say this in Thai though.

He could help and explain to people about needing an international drivers license after a real policeman has stopped them if he really wanted to help. However it seems this kind of person does not want stay in the background when this happens.

• Like 2