CM surprises over the [last 15] years . . .

NaiGreg

Having only arrived a couple of weeks ago and Chiang Mai instantly becoming my favourite place in Thailand so far I would love to have seen what it was like 15 years ago. I am in the Nimman area at the moment, construction going on all around me.. would have loved to see it in a quieter time.

post-402-0-07137000-1419217459_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

have long retired from the bar scene,just take a quick look when in town these days with my wallett firmly closed

but do fondly recall the very early 2000,S were the u could shoot a game of pool, buy a drink for the girls at bar prices,have a good time without being gouged to the eye balls

all my girls that i engaged, within those days,would say, E/S pay the bar fine,the rest is up to yousmile.png

but being very handsome,with a flashing smile ,no doubt helped my causes

and there were fewer bars to choose from, too many now, and the girls are now ,(with respect) a different class, mutch lower so to speak

but we do have beerlao dark availablebiggrin.png a perfect morning to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

Having only arrived a couple of weeks ago and Chiang Mai instantly becoming my favourite place in Thailand so far I would love to have seen what it was like 15 years ago. I am in the Nimman area at the moment, construction going on all around me.. would have loved to see it in a quieter time.

Anyone know which part of Huay Keow Rd this is. I can't see any landmarks I recognise.

Anyone know which part of Huay Keow Rd this is. I can't see any landmarks I recognise.

I think the building in the bottom center is Amari Rincome hotel. Running across the bottom of the photo would be Nimmanheimin.

Edited by hml367

I think the building in the bottom center is Amari Rincome hotel. Running across the bottom of the photo would be Nimmanheimin.

Yep , bottom/centre would be the Amari Rincome car park

Elephants roaming the streets? Must have been comatose when that was happening.....

And the tigers,there were a lot of them too.

regards Worgeordie

Only an estimated 2400 left in the world. Better rush to the Tiger Kingdom and have your picture taken with one before they disappear. Caution don't stand to close to them or you might disappear.

Elephants roaming the streets? Must have been comatose when that was happening.....

regards Worgeordie

Those tigers are still here but have been very quiet recently...however attached ...from about 10 years ago....

Since we live on the edge of the park (and take care of this section..agreed with forestry Comm...years ago)

I sometimes find during the long cold winters evening while sitting outside looking at the stars,(no light pollution) listening to the sounds of the jungle ...drinking my Heineken I now and then hear through the silence of the dark the long lonely cry of what could only be described as the call of one of more of "our tigers".The snakes have all done a runner,the scorpions have hibernated and our thoughtfull response is via a high pitched howl from our 2 dogs.......then silence returns again....Quite nice really....Ho Hum.....so...

Bengal tigers devour four cows in Mae On

Chiangmai Mail Reporters

Mae Tha village in Mae On, Chiang Mai is in the grip of tiger fever. On July 13, Prasert Intapuan, 46, the village headman of Mae Tha, told police that villagers’ cows had been killed by an unknown animal. The villagers believe that the beast is a Bengal tiger and are living in fear.

As it is the rainy season the villager’s cattle are kept in Mae Takrai National Park. One villager went to check on them and found four dead cows that had been savaged by a large beast, which he presumed had to be a Bengal tiger.

One of the owners of the dead animals said that in the middle of the night he heard one of the cows cry out. He shone his flashlight and saw two Bengal tigers attacking the animal. He was too afraid to do anything and sat and watched from a safe distance. The following morning he checked and found the four dead half-eaten animals. He then hurried out of the park and informed the village headman.

Arun Watanawat, head of Mae Takrai National Park, said that if it is the work of Bengal tigers as claimed by the villagers, the matter will need to be taken to the administration, and other relevant parties, to find a way to solve the problem.

Warnings have been issued to villagers to stay out of the area. The area borders Lampang and there are many wild animals in the area. The tigers may have been chased out of the park area of Hang Chat in Lampang, although there have been no tiger sightings for more than 10 years.

A posse of villagers is looking for the tigers, but all they have been able to find so far are tiger paw prints.

The district assistant of Mae On, Phoonsak Kaetsiri said that the villagers have not officially notified him. They may believe that it is a personal matter and have decided to deal with the matter themselves. He warns the villagers not to harm the animals if they do find tigers as they are a protected species. At the time of going to press, officers were preparing to enter the area to verify the matter.

regards Worgeordie

Those tigers are still here but have been very quiet recently...however attached ...from about 10 years ago....

Since we live on the edge of the park (and take care of this section..agreed with forestry Comm...years ago)

I sometimes find during the long cold winters evening while sitting outside looking at the stars,(no light pollution) listening to the sounds of the jungle ...drinking my Heineken I now and then hear through the silence of the dark the long lonely cry of what could only be described as the call of one of more of "our tigers".The snakes have all done a runner,the scorpions have hibernated and our thoughtfull response is via a high pitched howl from our 2 dogs.......then silence returns again....Quite nice really....Ho Hum.....so...

Chiangmai Mail Reporters

Mae Tha village in Mae On, Chiang Mai is in the grip of tiger fever. On July 13, Prasert Intapuan, 46, the village headman of Mae Tha, told police that villagers’ cows had been killed by an unknown animal. The villagers believe that the beast is a Bengal tiger and are living in fear.

As it is the rainy season the villager’s cattle are kept in Mae Takrai National Park. One villager went to check on them and found four dead cows that had been savaged by a large beast, which he presumed had to be a Bengal tiger.

One of the owners of the dead animals said that in the middle of the night he heard one of the cows cry out. He shone his flashlight and saw two Bengal tigers attacking the animal. He was too afraid to do anything and sat and watched from a safe distance. The following morning he checked and found the four dead half-eaten animals. He then hurried out of the park and informed the village headman.

Arun Watanawat, head of Mae Takrai National Park, said that if it is the work of Bengal tigers as claimed by the villagers, the matter will need to be taken to the administration, and other relevant parties, to find a way to solve the problem.

Warnings have been issued to villagers to stay out of the area. The area borders Lampang and there are many wild animals in the area. The tigers may have been chased out of the park area of Hang Chat in Lampang, although there have been no tiger sightings for more than 10 years.

A posse of villagers is looking for the tigers, but all they have been able to find so far are tiger paw prints.

The district assistant of Mae On, Phoonsak Kaetsiri said that the villagers have not officially notified him. They may believe that it is a personal matter and have decided to deal with the matter themselves. He warns the villagers not to harm the animals if they do find tigers as they are a protected species. At the time of going to press, officers were preparing to enter the area to verify the matter.

no mention is made of which year this report was written,

I was first in CM in 1974… maybe what surprises me is how much has not changed over that many years… in comparison to other places I have been and lived in - if you compare it to Bkk and the canals on Sathorn and the feelings of almost being a quaint small city, or Pattaya which was a dusty main street with a couple of bungalows along the beach, - - well, the natural development does not seem surprising or unusual.

Agree with this.. We're incredibly fortunate that all the really big development is along the superhighway and new ring roads, with local construction laws protecting the old town area quite effectively.

So relatively few architectural atrocities.. the Amora hotel being one though.

Nimmanhaemin is of course being turned into a mini Bangkok, but Nimmanhaemin was always relatively 'out there' and not really part of the historical town.

• Like 2

@NaiGreg: thanks for your post. I've only been in CM for 2 years. Do you like it better now than 15 years ago?

We moved out to the burbs (Mae Rim) in 2005, so a little bit like apples and oranges. But life is quite good, just the same. Now we are seeing growth, and a lot more foreign residents, in Mae Rim. Another surprise.

My wife is khon mueang which (I think) has helped me understand life here a little better than some others. Maybe not.

Edited by NaiGreg

Another thing I remembered is that the canal road from Suthep to Hang Dong had only a narrow two lane road on the east side, no road on the west. So all traffic coming and going were on this two lane, pot holed, narrow road making any overtaking chancy and a bouncy ride to/from work. I was ecstatic when the new construction began. Well, except for the fact it was a new construction with its associated travel headaches. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Another thing I remembered is that the canal road from Suthep to Hang Dong had only a narrow two lane road on the east side, no road on the west. So all traffic coming and going were on this two lane, pot holed, narrow road making any overtaking chancy and a bouncy ride to/from work. I was ecstatic when the new construction began. Well, except for the fact it was a new construction with its associated travel headaches. biggrin.png

Yes memorable nasty pot holes to dodge after dark on a bike. But little traffic after dark as most people stayed home after the sun went down.

Dave 2, July 11 of what year? That place has been closed for a while now, but I'm not sure if it is three or four years. Their website announced that they were going to tear it down and build a outdoor shopping area with a smaller hotel above it, but then the Maya building started construction and the Amari Rincome has just stayed empty.

I think the Amari Rincome people are behind the new Eastin Hotel and the shopping area at Think Park, but I may be wrong. It's going to make a lot of noise when they start tearing down the Amari Rincome.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/144/news.shtml#hd3

Tigers of Mae On.....

regards Worgeordie

Chiangmai Mail Reporters

The foreign restaurants are light years ahead of when I first got here and some are not too far off from decent places back home.

Only if you thought The Olive Garden was a decent restaurant.

For me, one of the biggest changes has been the domination and ubiquity of 7-11.

• Like 1

I have been here aince 2005...it was pretty status quo up until the last three years when the construction boom and pop explosion took off..

The growth north and northeast of Mae rim and doi saket directions to be honest is quite scary...

Great for property values and businesses but quality of life is decreasing....

The transformation of a large town to a sprawling city is happening..some will like it and some will not...

CB

• Like 1