90 day non "O" visa is it good to renew Thai drivers licence?

shl500

Hi

My 5 year Thai licence expired in March last year (2556) my question is would a single entry 90 day non "O" visa be ok to get a new replacement licence? I have 30 year lease papers in Thai for my home also a UK valid IDP and medical certificate plus the expired Thai licence....should I meet any objections when applying for the replacement

My local office is Mukdahan if anyone has experience there that would help too.

Officially you need not visa but extension of stay to obtain 5 year license. But you never know. Since you already have a Thai license Idp or UK license don't' add anything.

Sorry but what is "extension of stay" mean ? Do you think my chances are good with the info I have supplied above in the original post?

I have a friend who recently got his renewed on a tourist visa I dont know if your supposed to be able to do it or not though, it seems to me its dependent on who's at the desk smile.png

I definitely agree with that after todays experience : took all the relevant paperwork in to the Immigration Office and all he wanted to see was my passport 2 photo's and my old Thai licence ..300 baht and happy days...in and out in less than 20 mins smile.png

• Like 1

I have a friend who recently got his renewed on a tourist visa I dont know if your supposed to be able to do it or not though, it seems to me its dependent on who's at the desk smile.png

I definitely agree with that after todays experience : took all the relevant paperwork in to the Immigration Office and all he wanted to see was my passport 2 photo's and my old Thai licence ..300 baht and happy days...in and out in less than 20 mins smile.png

Happy Happy days ....obtained my renewed licence today with a score of 45 out of 50 ..just got in with the minimum 95% pass rate required !!

Officially you need not visa but extension of stay to obtain 5 year license. But you never know. Since you already have a Thai license Idp or UK license don't' add anything.

Actually I believe any non-imm visa is sufficient and what it says in the law.

It's supposed to be 1-year only for tourist visa holders, non-imm for upgrading to a 5-year licence.

Having said that on my last 5-year renewal (actually it was my first 5-year licence ever as previously I only ever got 1-year) I was on a tourist visa that had been extended for the second time. The lady who has dealt with me in previous years could clearly see I was holding a tourist visa at the time (and she didn't get fooled by the previous extension of stay for work, that had expired either) and I was surprisingly issued with a 5-year licence. New policy? I don't know, but I was very happy needless to say!

Now I hold a non-imm B multi entry, which would work too, but I'm still 5+ years short of needing to renew, since the licence actually expires on your birthday, so technically you could almost get 6 years out of it, which in my case will have been the case.

It's supposed to be 1-year only for tourist visa holders, non-imm for upgrading to a 5-year licence.

Having said that on my last 5-year renewal (actually it was my first 5-year licence ever as previously I only ever got 1-year) I was on a tourist visa that had been extended for the second time. The lady who has dealt with me in previous years could clearly see I was holding a tourist visa at the time (and she didn't get fooled by the previous extension of stay for work, that had expired either) and I was surprisingly issued with a 5-year licence. New policy? I don't know, but I was very happy needless to say!

Now I hold a non-imm B multi entry, which would work too, but I'm still 5+ years short of needing to renew, since the licence actually expires on your birthday, so technically you could almost get 6 years out of it, which in my case will have been the case.

According to phuket immigration boss it is as I stated

On a single entry 90 day O-visa the LTD will only grant you another one year temporary dl. To get a 5 year dl you have to be on a long stay visa (O-multy, 12 months) or extension ( retirement, marriage). Also you will need a certificate of residency from immigration, they may or may not give to you on a Single entry O-visa.

Edited by khwaibah

On a single entry 90 day O-visa the LTD will only grant you another one year temporary dl. To get a 5 year dl you have to be on a long stay visa (O-multy, 12 months) or extension ( retirement, marriage). Also you will need a certificate of residency from immigration, they may or may not give to you on a Single entry O-visa.

I do honestly believe that there is nothing written "in stone" when dealing with the immigration authorities in Thailand.

I applied with a single entry 90 day "O" visa and even outside the Jangwat (county) where I live and obtained the letter of residency.

Simple service fee of 300 baht and done.

I do honestly believe that there is nothing written "in stone" when dealing with the immigration authorities in Thailand.

I applied with a single entry 90 day "O" visa and even outside the Jangwat (county) where I live and obtained the letter of residency.

Some yes and some no. Depends on the office.

According to phuket immigration boss it is as I stated

It's quite clearly stated in Bangkok that a tourist visa gets you a 1-year licence, a non-imm 5 years. But as you say the interpretation may be different at different offices, but I would dispute anyone only wanting to hand out another 1-year licence to a 90 day non-imm holder and kindly request a 5-year licence.

However, my experience shows some inconsistency even in Bangkok, where I managed to get my 5-year licence while on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

You can be on any visa or visa-free stay and get that letter from your embassy. I always have and have never approached immigration - it's so much easier to deal with my embassy; it's much faster, and I know I'll get what I want.

• Like 1