China Airlines

game4shame

game for shame

China airlines are one of the best but:-

Are you too modest to tell us the price offered?

One problem is the link between AMS and UK. I know its included in the ticket but it involves hanging around at AMS.

If you travel business class the last price I had was £899 return. BMI LHR to AMS then a long walk across AMS airport to the China Airlines bay.You are supposed to only take 20kg on the first leg so it makes the 30kg on the second leg obsolete. I took 26kg and wasn't challenged but it says 20ks on the ticket and if you know BMI they are as friendly and as helpful as a scorpion.

any comments on China Airlines?

saw a tasty price to BKK via Amsterdam but it's almost too good to be true....

...and being a Poo Air long haul veteran I get a bit wary of dirt cheap flights now!!! :o

game

:D

It,s difficult to speak for everyone,s expectations but...........................................................

I tried several airlines at the beginning then tried and now use China Airlines on a regular basis.

I cannot find fault on any of my many flights with them.

The staff are very good and always helpful.

The food is reasonable and in flight service very good with the latest films ( usually 2 at least. )

At the end of the day it,s down to personal expectations.

If the price is right then go for it, after all it,s only a 12 hour flight and it soon passes if you have a positive attitude.

Again like all things you will get good and bad opinions.

I,ve flown with them for the last 12 years and it,s only the passengers, selfishness and moaners who make or break the journey in my humble opinion.

As i am satisfied i don,t feel the need to use others and stick to who i can rely on.

In your case game 4 shame if the price is reasonable then you can judge it on that basis at the end of the journey. ( cost ) and in my humble opnion will be more than satisfied.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

any comments on China Airlines?

saw a tasty price to BKK via Amsterdam but it's almost too good to be true....

...and being a Poo Air long haul veteran I get a bit wary of dirt cheap flights now!!! :o

game

It,s difficult to speak for everyone,s expectations but...........................................................

I tried several airlines at the beginning then tried and now use China Airlines on a regular basis.

The food is reasonable and in flight service very good with the latest films ( usually 2 at least. )

If the price is right then go for it, after all it,s only a 12 hour flight and it soon passes if you have a positive attitude.

I,ve flown with them for the last 12 years and it,s only the passengers, selfishness and moaners who make or break the journey in my humble opinion.

As i am satisfied i don,t feel the need to use others and stick to who i can rely on.

In your case game 4 shame if the price is reasonable then you can judge it on that basis at the end of the journey. ( cost ) and in my humble opnion will be more than satisfied.

marshbags :D:D:D

Same here, China Airlines was Ok to Travel with can't complain about really anything there. However i usually go often with other Airlines to Europe this purely depends on the final destination which are easier reached without the wait.

marshbags :o:D:D

In case you are not aware, CI has a poor safety record. But that was in the 1980/90's.

I have flown China Air and for the price they are as good as any I would say. The only down side is the Amsterdam connection depending on your connecting flight. We had a four hour lay over going to the UK this year although the connections on the return trip were much tighter so less hanging around.

I have travelled Eva Air as well and found the service about the same.

The advantage to China Air through Amsterdam is that you can connect direct into many regional UK airports whereas most of the other carriers mean landing in London and that is a pain if you live in the north.

I have flown China Air and for the price they are as good as any I would say. The only down side is the Amsterdam connection depending on your connecting flight. We had a four hour lay over going to the UK this year although the connections on the return trip were much tighter so less hanging around.

The advantage to China Air through Amsterdam is that you can connect direct into many regional UK airports whereas most of the other carriers mean landing in London and that is a pain if you live in the north.

After a walk about i utilise the 4-5 hour wait by ............................

Finding an area with space to put the old legs up, take mi shoes off, secure any hand baggage and have a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Go freshen up about an hour before, near the boarding area and feel the benefits going onward and not jet lagged.

P.S. Anyone tried the evergreen on EVA please and how do you rate it ?

Edited by marshbags

Always fly them BKK-LAX. Always the cheapest. Wildly varying seating quality, different planes. Decent video set-up. One thing that is shocking (to an American at least) is that when I've had rescheduling problems, they'll take my ph. number and actually fix the problem and call me back!

After a walk about i utilise the 4-5 hour wait by ............................

Finding an area with space to put the old legs up, take mi shoes off, secure any hand baggage and have a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Go freshen up about an hour before, near the boarding area and feel the benefits going onward and not jet lagged.

P.S. Anyone tried the evergreen on EVA please and how do you rate it ?

Flown evergreen (I think it is called something else now) many times and found it reasonably good. The seats are quite generous, but seem to be a little smaller since they changed to new aircraft (brand new 777 I think). Service is passable, food OK. They always seem pretty full. I use them for the bigger seat and great legroom and of course the direct LHR-BKK flight.

I flew China Airlines BKK-New York 3 years ago. The price was great, and the service was very good. I think they try harder because they know their safety record isn't good.

The last time I was on one, I sat next to a French guy and we joked about their safety record, and reckoned that a major accident was overdue. So far, nothing. I'll probably fly them again BKK to NY next month.

thanks for the opinions, both good and bad. I went ahead and booked it.

total of £554 return ABZ-BKK via Schipol leaving Dec 06 returning Jan 07.

there's usually a catch on the cheaper fares - non-refundable/non-flexible ticket etc - but this ticket is refundable and flexible for a small fee if required.

niiiiiiiice.

:o

thanks for the opinions, both good and bad. I went ahead and booked it.

total of £554 return ABZ-BKK via Schipol leaving Dec 06 returning Jan 07.

there's usually a catch on the cheaper fares - non-refundable/non-flexible ticket etc - but this ticket is refundable and flexible for a small fee if required.

niiiiiiiice.

Considering it,s at the peak of the high season you,ve done really well and including the connection to the U.K. as well, can,t be bad.

Well done and hope you survive the chaos this time of the year brings.........................................

Let us all wish for a return to normal or near normal relating to the security situation at the present time.

I think China-airlines tends to be the cheapest because they have a few years to go before they can be forgiven for their safety record. I've flown them nearly every time and never had a problem. I am a satisfied customer and hopefully after my next flight I'll have enough miles to update to business class. One trick is to get the vegetarian meal. You get served first and it's hard to screw up vegetables.

Edited by wasabi

I am a satisfied customer and hopefully after my next flight I'll have enough miles to update to business class. One trick is to get the vegetarian meal. You get served first and it's hard to screw up vegetables.

Just a tip, If you order a vegitarian meal it is a sure way not to get upgraded.

An airline will never serve an economy class meal in the buisness class cabin. :o

Just a little, Pointer.

PS. Game4Shame, I have flown a few CI flights via Amsterdam and it's not bad. :D

China Airlines havn't got a good safety record. Have a Google and see.

Here's a link to an accident in 1998 - The last words!

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cvr980216.htm

It was around the same time as the above accident that CI had another crash in the old HKG airport. I can still picture vividly the tail of the plane, complete with the China Airlines livery, sticking out of the water in Kowloon Bay, next to the runway. They had the plane removed rather quickly.

CI changed its livery to the present one after that accident!

It was around the same time as the above accident that CI had another crash in the old HKG airport. I can still picture vividly the tail of the plane, complete with the China Airlines livery, sticking out of the water in Kowloon Bay, next to the runway. They had the plane removed rather quickly.

A friend back in the Uk that worked for BA, told me once that a lot pilots become over complacent with the aircraft they fly day after day, and simply forget how to fly them ‘hands on’. The example I gave the link to, seemed to demonstrate this fact very well. Worrying eh!

I am a satisfied customer and hopefully after my next flight I'll have enough miles to update to business class. One trick is to get the vegetarian meal. You get served first and it's hard to screw up vegetables.

Just a tip, If you order a vegitarian meal it is a sure way not to get upgraded.

An airline will never serve an economy class meal in the buisness class cabin. :o

Just a little, Pointer.

PS. Game4Shame, I have flown a few CI flights via Amsterdam and it's not bad. :D

Your right we won't serve an economy class meal in business class but gate agent who does the upgrading does not have the meal list as it on the aircraft already. But what we do and we do it all the time is remove the economy class meal from the dish and place it in a business class dish. This happens all the time and not just with veg meals!

Now as flight crew but not with China Airlines I have noticed that they have gotten a lot better in the last 3 years. They now only use the newer aircraft on their TPE-BKK-AMS route so you will not see the ancient aircraft of the past. Inflight service is as good as any, but still better than UA/NW. I have deadheaded (returned to base) them many times on return flights to BKK both in economy and business class. That said enjoy your flight!

A friend back in the Uk that worked for BA, told me once that a lot pilots become over complacent with the aircraft they fly day after day, and simply forget how to fly them ‘hands on’. The example I gave the link to, seemed to demonstrate this fact very well. Worrying eh!

Some friends from Taiwan told me most of the pilots were ex-Air Force pilots. That figures!

Some friends from Taiwan told me most of the pilots were ex-Air Force pilots. That figures!

It is true that there are a lot of current commercial pilots that are ex-air force. Obviously not a requirement, but the reason for it is that commercial airlines require a certain amount of hours as pilot in command before they will even consider you. These hours range in the thousands and since ex-air force pilots can count their time flying in the military, they have a good jump on the requirement.

My instructor was an instructor for the sake of getting flying hours to build up the time to qualify for some of the air cargo companies, then get hours with them to make the qualifying hours to fly commercial flights.

Great hobby, tough to make into a career however.

We fly with them every year and have done for the last 5 years.

They're always the cheapest (from Newcastle) and the long lay over is champion for those little jaunts into Amsterdam Central :o

The seats are a good size, plenty of leg room and you get two really decent films during the flight.

The food, however, is very hit and miss but they make up sandwiches and you can help yourself throughout the flight. I even got quite pally with one of the attendants last year and he kept feeding me ice cream :D

Buy plenty of snacks at the airport!

You tend to get some right arsey Dutch/Germans on the flight who all seem to have appalling manners and are dripping with gold. The treat the attendants like s**t so a little smile from you will go a long way (and may even earn you ice cream!)

Booked up to fly with them again at the end Jan 07 (coming back a month later) and got the flight from Newcastle via Amsterdam for £535. Bargain!

You get into Bangkok at about 8 in the morning - which is good - and when you fly back home the flight leaves at about 3am. Stay up all night, board the plane, wait for your food, have a few shots of voddy and 'hey presto!' - you've been a kip for 8 hours straight and you're nearly home. You can fly with KLM for about £40 more a ticket but the flight times just aren't right for us.

Safe journey! :D:D

We fly with them every year and have done for the last 5 years.

They're always the cheapest (from Newcastle) and the long lay over is champion for those little jaunts into Amsterdam Central :o

The seats are a good size, plenty of leg room and you get two really decent films during the flight.

The food, however, is very hit and miss but they make up sandwiches and you can help yourself throughout the flight. I even got quite pally with one of the attendants last year and he kept feeding me ice cream :D

Buy plenty of snacks at the airport!

You tend to get some right arsey Dutch/Germans on the flight who all seem to have appalling manners and are dripping with gold. The treat the attendants like s**t so a little smile from you will go a long way (and may even earn you ice cream!)

Booked up to fly with them again at the end Jan 07 (coming back a month later) and got the flight from Newcastle via Amsterdam for £535. Bargain!

You get into Bangkok at about 8 in the morning - which is good - and when you fly back home the flight leaves at about 3am. Stay up all night, board the plane, wait for your food, have a few shots of voddy and 'hey presto!' - you've been a kip for 8 hours straight and you're nearly home. You can fly with KLM for about £40 more a ticket but the flight times just aren't right for us.

Safe journey! :D:D

Great post, Dawn, and good there is more than one Geordie on Tv. Mines a broon! :D:D:D:D

Edited by baboon

I think it was CI who tried to rip the wings off a 747-SP off the US west coast a few years back. Testament to Boeing, the wings were bent back by the speed of a dive brought on by the pilot incorrectly setting the autopilot, but landed safely. The plane was then flown to Seattle for repairs.

Great post, Dawn, and good there is more than one Geordie on Tv. Mines a broon!

Ahhhh!! The dulcet tones of the Toon!! :D:D:D

Nice to meet you Baboon :o

Are you in LOS or stuck here on the banks of the Tyne?

Crap weather we're having.......

Dawn