Dengue Fever In Chiang Mai

chuchok

A mate of mine is Travelling from NZ at the mo.A few nights ago we were out for a few quiet ones, when he was violently sick.He then got the cold sweats and was to use his expression "As sick as a dog" he's a big strapping lad and normally doesn't complain too much, so when he told me that during the night he had a temp that went thru the roof, a blinding head and body ache etc, I tend to believe him.

Next day we trot off to CM Ram and the doc says "well, it could be Dengue or Thyphoid or something else (that I didn't quite catch) as there were many cases of this at the mo.. :o

So he treated for all three.Two diff lots of antibiotics and panadol to keep the fever down.

The only way to check for Dengue is to wait for 5-6 days, as this is when the anti-bodies?? show up in the blood.

He has only been in BKK and in CNX city limits.

A mate of mine is Travelling from NZ at the mo.A few nights ago we were out for a few quiet ones, when he was violently sick.He then got the cold sweats and was to use his expression "As sick as a dog" he's a big strapping lad and normally doesn't complain too much, so when he told me that during the night he had a temp that went thru the roof, a blinding head and body ache etc, I tend to believe him.

Next day we trot off to CM Ram and the doc says "well, it could be Dengue or Thyphoid or something else (that I didn't quite catch) as there were many cases of this at the mo.. :o

So he treated for all three.Two diff lots of antibiotics and panadol to keep the fever down.

The only way to check for Dengue is to wait for 5-6 days, as this is when the anti-bodies?? show up in the blood.

I had a friend in Chiang Mai perhaps 15 years ago who got Dengue, and who was also only in Chiang Mai limits..

i reckon they (the hospital) and health officials would have had a lot of questions if it was in fact dengue. did they confirm if it was?

i reckon they (the hospital) and health officials would have had a lot of questions if it was in fact dengue. did they confirm if it was?

The only way to tell is to come back in 5 days time for a blood test.Nothing will show up in the blood untill then.

The only thing that they made sure his gums/nose/eyes etc showed no sign of redness or bleeding, so it was hopefully not the haemorraghic form of the illness.

Edited by chuchok

The only way to tell is to come back in 5 days time for a blood test.Nothing will show up in the blood untill then.

The only thing that they made sure his gums/nose/eyes etc showed no sign of redness or bleeding, so it was hopefully not the haemorraghic form of the illness.

i doubt it would show up as dengue then. probably just viral. hopefully they keep dengue at bay though, its a F&%^ shit to have.

poor guy, hope he recovers soon to enjoy at least the last parts of his holidays.

I had a friend in Chiang Mai perhaps 15 years ago who got Dengue, and who was also only in Chiang Mai limits..

That was about the time that I first contracted it, and I was in the city limits as well. Had several bouts since, but nothing like the first one :o Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

That was about the time that I first contracted it, and I was in the city limits as well. Had several bouts since, but nothing like the first one :o Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

How many bouts have you had, Maejo Man? There are four serotypes of dengue, and once you've had one, you're immune to that serotype, meaning you can't contract it more than four times. An estimated 87% of all human dengue infections in Thailand are asymptomatic, ie without symtoms. As I understand it, two serotypes are fairly common in Thailand while two ar efairly rare. I got dengue in 1977 in Chainat, and I have known a few friends who have contracted dengue in Chiang Mai over the last decade. It's pretty common here.

The US army, in cooperation with the Royal Thai Army, has been operating a dengue research centre in Kamphaeng Phet since 1958. Over the last three years the centre has been conducting trials with a dengue vaccine that shows promise, or so I was told by an American nurse working at the centre.

How many bouts have you had, Maejo Man? There are four serotypes of dengue, and once you've had one, you're immune to that serotype, meaning you can't contract it more than four times. An estimated 87% of all human dengue infections in Thailand are asymptomatic, ie without symtoms. As I understand it, two serotypes are fairly common in Thailand while two are fairly rare. I got dengue in 1977 in Chainat, and I have known a few friends who have contracted dengue in Chiang Mai over the last decade. It's pretty common here.

A very interesting read SJ thanks for the link. I've had it diagnosed twice, and the third time I just thought to myself "oops, here we go again" and suffered for a week living on fluids and pills. Unfortunately there is nothing to hasten the outcome, you just got to suffer! However, I live in hope now after reading that article :o