Why is Thailand such a success compared to the Philippines?

RichardThailand

cant believe no one said the World Bank and Marcos

Marcos has been mentioned at least 57 times on this thread. He may have done the country a big favour as they don't trust their presidents no more. The last president is still under arrest.

Piano as pointed out is controlled by a few rich families and will continue to do so. The masses are brained washed from young at school to dislike and distrust foreigners hence the resentment and pinoy first. That's how the rich control the poor in Phil's. Imagine if their foreign investment is up 10 folds, in no time there will be a huge segment of the society with exposure to western influence eg human rights, right to choose, integrity, ethics whistle blowing etc

If there are talking to you it's becos they hopefully will gain something from you. I personally has been asked by quite a few to help them or their family members to go abroad for work . Yes their favorite phrase and dream is "go abroad".

Becos of their tough life they then to help fellow pinoys to the extent of fixing non pinoys and they are very good at that. I would even say they are prepared to do anything if given the right incentives.

On the other hand there are some nice pinoys but these are very nominal.

Overall I wouldn't invest in Phil's without overseeing the project with someone from non- Phil's. There is just too much crooks there.

And I lived there for 10 years and 5 years in thailand.

We have two threads running now. They are about Thailand, the Philippines and Japan. What makes Japan the odd man out? Feudalism was stopped there in 1947 and 1948. That is the major difference. It is the reason for all the other differences.

Edited by thailiketoo

Thailand has better GIRLS.

A very insightful post!

Should I ask you to enlighten us as to what makes a girl "better"?

Probably not. We don't want this thread closed.smile.png

I think one answer is in the bars. The system is different and anyone who has been to both places knows the differences but since we can't discuss the specifics of prostitution I can't go there.

The other obvious difference is the rule of law as applied to women fleecing foreigners. The Philippines is far more dangerous for the inexperienced farm boy from the West.

Both Thai and Philippine women can sing and dance; Philippine women have the definite edge singing blues and being well endowed for men who are into chests. In fact the only difference most men can tell the difference (not speaking) is the chest area.

I see nothing but good if the movement of people in ASEAN is applied to go go dancers who can sing from the Philippines to Thailand.

If it wasn't for the dangers of the Philippine legal system and cooking for Farang Lotharios the Philippine women would win hands down.

To total it up, Dancing - equal. Singing - Philippine wins because of language ability. Rhythm - draw. Cooking - Thai. Figure - Philippine (unless you like girls shaped like boys). Ladyboys - toss up.

For the survivalist - Thai Issan ladies (jungle food experts).

After ten years really not much difference given you have survived the families of both countries; women are women.

Now if a guy is really serious about the above; Africa has got some well shaped women who really can dance and run track. Now that's some serious rhythm and running ability and don't every girl want diamonds on the soles of her shoes.

What was the worst thing I've ever heard said about a man? "He was the most incredibly hideous dancer I had ever seen and not to mention how embarrassing it was to have to be the one he was smashing pelvics with," That's bad. Thai girl or Philippine girl not going to say, incredibly hideous. So either way either is better than a lady that would say the above.

I'll have to disagree about the chests. After almost 50 years of sight and touch with ladies form both countries, I see no discernible difference in breast size. Some are large, some quite small, in both countries. I do note a significant number of Thai girls with knees wider than their calves--the piano stool calf affliction. I note no such prevalence in Filipinas. However, I find Thailand has a greater number tall ladies, slim ladies, and light-skinned ladies. However, I have always had a weakness for little dark girls--LBFMs as some used to say.

If a man has a preference for small breasts, Asian women are obviously more attractive than western women as most seem to be on the small end of the scale, though I have seen a few extremely well endowed Thai women. Most of the Filipinos that I met seem to be larger than Thais in that department, but smaller than western women.

However, I never saw so many women with skinny thighs ( I call them chicken legs- I am guessing that is what you mean by the piano stool calf affliction ) as in Thailand and it seems like most of the BGs in Pattaya are that way inclined. Maybe it's an Issan trait.

1 reply deleted to allow posting.

If a man has a preference for small breasts, Asian women are obviously more attractive than western women as most seem to be on the small end of the scale, though I have seen a few extremely well endowed Thai women. Most of the Filipinos that I met seem to be larger than Thais in that department, but smaller than western women.

However, I never saw so many women with skinny thighs ( I call them chicken legs- I am guessing that is what you mean by the piano stool calf affliction ) as in Thailand and it seems like most of the BGs in Pattaya are that way inclined. Maybe it's an Issan trait.

1 reply deleted to allow posting.

There we go, Thailand is such a success compared to the Philippines because on average the women have smaller breasts.biggrin.png

You could actually be right. You'll never see a female on a construction site in the PI.... maybe the bigger breasts interfere with manual labour.smile.png

I don't believe it.

>Of course it is not only one determining factor, as some people like to suppose, but rather a combination of many historical, cultural, social, economical, geographical and geopolitical factors.

Some of these factors are probably more crucial than others, but I think that it is, in the end, a matter of personal opinion to determine what these factors are.

It depends on the cultural background of the observer: an economist would probably disagree with a sociologist, an historian would still have another opinion and an anthropologist would perhaps call them all wrong.

Being the curious ignorant that I am, I personally think it has not to be undervalued the incidence of the Chinese migration in Thai society. The Thai elite, both in the private and the public sector, is mostly made by people of Chinese descent. In the last century there was, and there's still today, a huge economical force in Thai economy coming from China, both in terms of wealth and in terms of leadership. To give you a measure of it, 1 Thai over 7 is ethnically Chinese, or mixed with Chinese, and the majority of them reside in the urban and economical centers.

Even the largely famous, capillary Thai manufacturing sector, the small commerce, the familial and small businesses network, is mostly run by the Chinese-Thais, just like, say, the farming and the industrial workforce is mostly Thai.

Culturally and economically speaking, the leading head of the Thai emerging middle class have an important component of China in it. Government offices, Universities, multinational companies' high ranks, are full of wealthy and well educated Chinese-Thais.

I don't know very much of the Philippines, but I know in South East Asia only Malaysia (which is by the way another relatively successful economy) have a "Chinese factor" which is comparable to the Thai one (excluding countries which are basically China's satellites, such as Singapore and Hong Kong).

In the Philippines, only 1 person over 100 has a Chinese origin.

I'm not necessarily implying that the Chinese people have some sort of 'magic touch' for business, or that they are smarter, or so... but migration can be a very strong input for development and growth: Thailand had it, the Philippines didn't.

I don't believe it.

>Of course it is not only one determining factor, as some people like to suppose, but rather a combination of many historical, cultural, social, economical, geographical and geopolitical factors.

Some of these factors are probably more crucial than others, but I think that it is, in the end, a matter of personal opinion to determine what these factors are.

It depends on the cultural background of the observer: an economist would probably disagree with a sociologist, an historian would still have another opinion and an anthropologist would perhaps call them all wrong.

Being the curious ignorant that I am, I personally think it has not to be undervalued the incidence of the Chinese migration in Thai society. The Thai elite, both in the private and the public sector, is mostly made by people of Chinese descent. In the last century there was, and there's still today, a huge economical force in Thai economy coming from China, both in terms of wealth and in terms of leadership. To give you a measure of it, 1 Thai over 7 is ethnically Chinese, or mixed with Chinese, and the majority of them reside in the urban and economical centers.

Even the largely famous, capillary Thai manufacturing sector, the small commerce, the familial and small businesses network, is mostly run by the Chinese-Thais, just like, say, the farming and the industrial workforce is mostly Thai.

Culturally and economically speaking, the leading head of the Thai emerging middle class have an important component of China in it. Government offices, Universities, multinational companies' high ranks, are full of wealthy and well educated Chinese-Thais.

I don't know very much of the Philippines, but I know in South East Asia only Malaysia (which is by the way another relatively successful economy) have a "Chinese factor" which is comparable to the Thai one (excluding countries which are basically China's satellites, such as Singapore and Hong Kong).

In the Philippines, only 1 person over 100 has a Chinese origin.

I'm not necessarily implying that the Chinese people have some sort of 'magic touch' for business, or that they are smarter, or so... but migration can be a very strong input for development and growth: Thailand had it, the Philippines didn't.

Perhaps you should read this:

From Wikipedia (of course):

Chinese Filipinos (simplified Chinese: 华菲; traditional Chinese: 華菲; pinyin:Huáfēi; Hokkien: Huâ-hui; Cantonese: Wàhfèi; Tagalog/Filipino: Intsik(pronounced [ɪntʃɪk]) (or "Tsinoy", pronounced [tʃɪnoɪ]) are Filipinos of Chinesedescent, mostly born and raised in the Philippines.

Chinese Filipinos are one of the largest overseas Chinese communities in Southeast Asia.[2] Sangleys—Filipinos with at least some Chinese ancestry—comprise 18-27% of the Philippine population.[3] There are roughly 1.5 million Filipinos with pure Chinese ancestry, or just 1.6% of the population.[citation needed][4]

Chinese Filipinos are well represented in all levels of Philippine society, and well integrated politically and economically. Chinese Filipinos are present within several commerce and business sectors in the Philippines and a few sources estimate companies which comprise a significant portion of the Philippine economy are owned by Chinese Filipinos, if one includes Sangleys.[5][6][7]

I don't think the Chinese have anything to do with why Thailand is more successful. I still believe it's the smaller breasts, making the Thai women well suited to manual labour.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo