Hellish Experience Coming Back Home From Suvarnabhumi Airport-Who Is At The Top To Take Action

discoverdb10

I solved that issue easy no problems anymore I take airport link line to the end walk about 200 feet get on BTS get off my stop walk to condo from there.Only hassle is have to time return flight to swampy to fit APL and BTS operating hours. No stress no tolls and no knuckleheads driving me. But in a pinch hire limo. Pay more but no lip service.

As a regular traveller you should know to watch for him turning the meter on as soon as you get inside the car.

The last time this happened to me after a 11 hour flight from Europe I told him to stop the car as I'm getting out, he hadn't left the airport at this stage because I noticed it immediately.

He backed down, turned the meter on and the journey was uneventful.

Ha - my very first trip from Sawanabhumi (off the meter) cost me 3,000baht, which I thought was normal, because in New York it would be that much.

My second ride from Sawanabhumi (on the meter) cost 300baht.

• Like 1

Ok, for a start the meter said 130 and you gave the driver 150 ... most people know that there is an airport pick up surcharge of 50 baht .... so in fact you underpaid him by 30 baht, and did not give any "extra".

I am also thinking that you may have omitted parts of the story here. I deal with many Indian clients in my work and most of them are very hard to deal with as they constantly try and cut what is required to be paid, over and over again. Even when we explain, they repeat the same rubbish over and over again, trying to pretend that they do not understand. Why did your wife have to speak to the driver ? You are a frequent visitor.

I don't get how you can spend a considerable sum of money to get here, and yet you are making a big thing about the highway. The driver does not make on this. It's early hours of the morning, you are on your own, common sense should tell you to be polite and not argue with any Thai person, let alone taxi driver. You have chosen to use a taxi and so the highway is normally standard.

You should acknowledge the driver with a nod, smile and say meter krup before getting in. Once they start the journey make sure that the meter is on. Do not stupidly wait till the journey is nearly completed. Too late.

I have taken airport taxi over 100 times, and I can swear hand on heart ... I have never had a problem .... they always use the meter. Of course in town I have had the same experiences as everyone has had ... par for the course .... but I deal with it.

Are you sure that you have told the whole story about what was said ? My considerable dealings with Indians have shown them to be economical with the truth. Maybe you upset the driver in some way ? I am not judging you, it could be that the driver has had a problem with Indians in the past ..... but if I were a betting man .... I think this is a case of som nam na as opposed to poor farang.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great, sensible advice.

Mr SOMCHAY WISESWONGKHA -10187 TAXI Number 466

Why are you moaning to us? You can contact the Land Transport Department Hotline on 1584

He'll probably be fined 1000 Baht if you are lucky!

agree ... complain to the transport department, not us .... we already know they're scum.

I don't think 'they're' scum, for the record. 99% of all people I've dealt with in Thailand over 5 years now, including taxis, have been honest and good natured. Especially if I make an effort to show some respect on my side. Out of hundreds of cab rides, maybe 1 or 2 weren't so good; so that's pretty good odds. Now, if you wanted to talk about how the RTP and military are acting lately...

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

hope to see an update of this story

OP is right ... what must first time tourists think or just pay whatever he wants ?

ex phuket maffia driver ?

Arrive Madrid Spain. Taxi to anywhere in Madrid is a min of 30 Euros, 15-20 min ride or about 1,200b.

Taxi to the nearest airport hotel min 20 Euros, 5 min ride = 800b.

In the 70's, during a train strike I shared a Taxi from Thiefrow to Edgware. My share was £50 = 2,500b plus inflation.....

Taxis in Thailand are incredibly cheap so the tourist stumps up whatever he is asked - and thinks he had a BARGIN to boot!

Like another poster, my wife takes care of taxis and when we arrive at Swamy or Don Muang, she arranges for her cousin to collect us.

I truly believe that us visitors to this country are responsible for causing huge price and expectation increases in the local population.

Cuba got it right, there the foreigner paid with US dollars not Cuban ones, About 40 times more!

A local takes a taxi cost 10 Cuban, a visitor on the same journey also 10 but US, so about 40 times more.

Visitors to Thailand go on and on about how cheap the street food is and transportation etc.

​and whilst enjoying the great things during their visit, they support it by only whinging?

Cost to rent a taxi for the driver = ???

Cost of fuel for the driver = ???

Cost to maintain drivers licence = ???

Cost to maintain uniform = ???

So how many Farang would rush to become a taxi driver in Thailand?

(OK job reserved for Thais apart)

Thank God I never got ripped off by a taxi driver anywhere else in the world LOL

Actually, I occasionally fight with my wife cos I want to take a taxi and spend 400b and travel quickly in an aircon environment.

She wants to save 250b by using a Songtau and a van and taking 90 mins for the journey which would otherwise only be about 30 mins or so!

and don't start me on what she gives to the temple!!!!!!!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and will enjoy the New Year too.

I went to get a family member visiting Thailand Tuesday night, the taxi driver asked to get the slip from taxi counter, I simply refused to hand it to him (because I read another story about this new scamming tactic here in tvf).

He was enraged, but I didn't care, he had no choice except to take us. He was not that nice all the way, but we arrived home without any problem. He was very happy getting 50 baht extra. Never never give the piece of paper given by taxi counter at the airport.

There are rotten apples in every case. Most of the taxi drivers are polite and friendly. Especially those who are authorised by the port authority.

Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world for tourist yet I always warn my friends to watch their bags/wallets because there will always be somewhere a drunk punk or a pick pocket.

I've gotten three taxis from the official taxi stand at the airport that had turbo meters. After the third time I decided never to use the taxi stand again. That was well before Uber arrived, so at that time I would get taxis at the departure level who were dropping someone off and were happy to have a fare back to the city. Since Uber started, I've not had to use a taxi from the airport at all.

Uber avoids all this crap and hassle about taxi queues, meters, bargaining, and taxi drivers with an attitude.

I finally got sick of the Bangkok taxi mafia and downloaded the app (got a 700B initial free ride too).

What a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

What the OP does not mention shouts out loud from this post. I strongly suspect that he brought with him his attitude towards taxi drivers that he probably displayed on his journey TO the airport in Kolkata. People in Thailand react very poorly to rudeness whereas in the sub-continent the caste system continues to reinforce their place.

I used to always go up to departures, and grab a taxi that's just dropped someone,,, They'll have NO problem turning on the meter, as they're just thrilled to get a fare back into the city,, They aren't supposed to hang out there, but I've noticed the airport security there, tend to give them a bit of time to readjust the front seat, wipe windshield, etc,,, 2 years ago was my last trip out/in,, and on return, noticed they had gates set up in departure, to not allow people to do this,, (set up after you cross over the 1st lane of traffic, on the divider between the lanes) They also had, "guards" there,, while not, "official" guards, they did tend to scare off most people and direct them down to the que,,, I already had all my bags drug up there,, was at these gates,, and told him, "no, I'm not going back down", and pointed at a cabbie waving me over,,, He let me through,, After that experience, I seemed to remember a thread on TVF, mentioning these new gates had been set up by the taxi company owners, to prevent people like myself from doing exactly this,,, AND that the, "guards" were nothing more than guys in some type of uniform, looking official, and sole job was working for the taxi companies to make it look like they were airport security of some sort,,, I also remember on a follow up post on TVF, that not too long after these gates were set up, that they had been removed,, Can anyone else confirm?,,,,, IF they have been removed, unless you have LOADS of baggage and just don't want to haul it all up to departures, that's the best route, As I said,,, they'll have NO problem kicking on the meter, as they're thrilled to not have to run back into the city empty,,,,

On a side note,, that last trip out 2 years ago, the cabbie picking me up in front of my place,, (the ride from my place to the AP is only about $200-250 baht so any cabbie in my area should know the route) He had no idea how to actually get to the AP,, He started in the general direction,, got on the correct ramp,, then seemed totally unaware of how to get there,, made several wrong turns, was in the wrong lane to exit, and I had to actually just look for the HUGE signs with airplane symbols on them and point/gesture at them to get us there,,, I think he was truly unaware, as he seemed actually very sorry for his mistakes, and even at one point had to stop next to several taxis, and ask them,, I say truly, because you could see the other cabbies actually laughing/looking at each other like,, "Are you kidding?, you can just follow the BIG signs",,, while making gestures like,, "Look for BIG airplane signs",,,, lolololol,,, Again, I really think he just didn't know how to get there, as he was genuine in saying, "sorry, sorry, so sorry" when he dropped me at the AP,,, So I did give him a small tip, and he was very happy,,,

Edited by Adeeos

Uber avoids all this crap and hassle about taxi queues, meters, bargaining, and taxi drivers with an attitude.

I finally got sick of the Bangkok taxi mafia and downloaded the app (got a 700B initial free ride too).

What? Seriously, that name really spoils the fun. I might use it when in Austria, or Germany, NOT in Thailand or any other country, unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Well welcome to taxi world. When you get picked up by an Indian taxi driver what happens? Oh I don't have any change blah blah and so on.

If you haven't realized by now that Thais hate you, you must have a very thick skin.

Ok, for a start the meter said 130 and you gave the driver 150 ... most people know that there is an airport pick up surcharge of 50 baht .... so in fact you underpaid him by 30 baht, and did not give any "extra".

I am also thinking that you may have omitted parts of the story here. I deal with many Indian clients in my work and most of them are very hard to deal with as they constantly try and cut what is required to be paid, over and over again. Even when we explain, they repeat the same rubbish over and over again, trying to pretend that they do not understand. Why did your wife have to speak to the driver ? You are a frequent visitor.

I don't get how you can spend a considerable sum of money to get here, and yet you are making a big thing about the highway. The driver does not make on this. It's early hours of the morning, you are on your own, common sense should tell you to be polite and not argue with any Thai person, let alone taxi driver. You have chosen to use a taxi and so the highway is normally standard.

You should acknowledge the driver with a nod, smile and say meter krup before getting in. Once they start the journey make sure that the meter is on. Do not stupidly wait till the journey is nearly completed. Too late.

I have taken airport taxi over 100 times, and I can swear hand on heart ... I have never had a problem .... they always use the meter. Of course in town I have had the same experiences as everyone has had ... par for the course .... but I deal with it.

Are you sure that you have told the whole story about what was said ? My considerable dealings with Indians have shown them to be economical with the truth. Maybe you upset the driver in some way ? I am not judging you, it could be that the driver has had a problem with Indians in the past ..... but if I were a betting man .... I think this is a case of som nam na as opposed to poor farang.

Another superior poster. There now, do you feel better you have put the OP in his place. Good for you.

• Like 1

"posting this taxi driver's behavior and photo qualifies you to be sued for defamation"

This country is NOT the litigious society of USA or some other western nations (sue and be damned)! coffee1.gif

Defamation cases are pretty popular here. Don't kid yourself.

Its normally the first interaction you have when arriving and leaving the airport. .should be more controlled and harsher punishments for abusers. .I do not recommend getting into a dropping of taxi as thus seems to be where a lot of hassles come from..

i laugh when i see this thing about land of smiles maybe say 20 years ago when all they had was a smile on there face but now with the internet and moveing forward like the western world greed has taken over and like the many people they to want it all and why not but willing to do most things to get it murder rape drugs steal prostitution scam and anything else one can think off not all and along with the drunk aggressive loud tourist mostly russian but not all the so called land of smiles is dissapearing to be left with a bitter nasty taste such a shame really oh yes i do know not all Thailand is like that yet

What? Seriously, that name really spoils the fun. I might use it when in Austria, or Germany, NOT in Thailand or any other country, unless there is absolutely no alternative.
so you don't use it because the name isn't fun?

Your persuasive logic underwhelms me.

So you don't use it because the name isn't fun?

Your persuasive logic underwhelms me.

Indeed, you are not the only one...When I take a Taxi, I show the driver the map and tell him: "this is where we are now, and there is where we have to go by following this road" (now in Thai), an also insist to put the meter on before I geet into the car. wai2.gif Usually they are not pleased but still showing the amazing smile as ever.

Jeez no wonder so many old timers have such a difficult time with taxi drivers. He has dozens of normal trips on his shift and then you come a long

• Like 1

"posting this taxi driver's behavior and photo qualifies you to be sued for defamation"

This country is NOT the litigious society of USA or some other western nations (sue and be damned)! coffee1.gif

Defamation cases are pretty popular here. Don't kid yourself.

defamation is not an issue for the poster unless this forum gives out personal user info/ip address. not sure about that, i have never asked.

Another superior poster. There now, do you feel better you have put the OP in his place. Good for you.

Exactly. Reading Rome's post the first time brought to mind the cartoon "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog".

So here's my Rome version:

On the Internet nobody knows you're an English teacher making 15k baht a month and living in a 10 by 10 air-less apartment with your gf who was once the cutest thing on a pole at Playskool.

And nobody knows you're working on a used PC sitting on dresser together with the washing and dirty dishes.

Ok, so I am going to tell them about "Indian clients". This will sound impressive. On the Internet nobody knows that my only clients are badly-behaved Thai 12-year-olds. God, I could cry. But nobody need know this. Anyway, putting this runty curry muncher in place will improve my spirits.

And I'll talk about 100s of taxi rides to the airport which will make me sound like a business flyer. Because nobody on the Internet will ever find out that I haven't flown in years and only take the bus. God, how I wish I had the money to fly home and see mom.

Nok's still sleeping. It's weird how tired she gets from seeing her brother who lives just across the street. And it's weird that I have never seen him. She says he's handicapped which is why I support him too, but I wish she would bring him over at least once or let me go over. But I guess he's too ill to receive a visitor. It's almost like he's across the internet somewhere. Heh, heh, I made a funny.

Edited by The Dancer

Me: Moved to Thailand at 18. Married, 11 Thai kids, fluent Thai, buddist, own businesses in Thailand, have not spoken English in 23 years.

After 40 years, my name is still "Farang".

I say, "But........am I not Thai? Is this not my country?"

NO.

Thumbs up to OP and his wife.

Instead of lodging a complaint with appropriate department or police, choice was made to post on thai visa.

Without sounding racist, but having lots of experience with Indian visitors , their side of story always skips a few chapters of what they did or said before other person looses their cool.

My wife works in tourism and sometimes has to take tour groups to places by private coach and can certainly concur and attest with what you are saying in your vailed way Konying..... Nuff Said....

Me: Moved to Thailand at 18. Married, 11 Thai kids, fluent Thai, buddist, own businesses in Thailand, have not spoken English in 23 years.

NO.

Are you not a citizen Pukao

I was in a hotel coffee shop once when sitting behind me were an elderly gentleman and a younger man,, they were chatting away and after i made my order i could overhear the conversation,, '' i got a taxi at the airport, the driver took me somewhere in the forest, there were some men there with knives who robbed me of all my belongings and left me, now i have nothing'' , it seems the older man was from the US consulate there to give assistance, so me thinks ooh ahh Magrah, whenever i get into a taxi at the airport i make sure to use the taxi stand, get a slip, put my luggage in the back seat, i like to sit in front, ask for the meter to be turned on then discretely take a photo of the drivers id on the dash, i then e-mail it to myself and my sister (she knows the plan), if the phone is stolen robbed by force or car accident then there is a record of events, less guesswork, like another falang got robbed then committed suicide, not this little black duck.

NO.

By the same measure Thais will always call Chinese, Chinese. Even if they were born here.

My family never calls me Falung they always use my name.