Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

Racism does exist and some people prefer to deny it sad.png

Supporting these racist / xenophobic schemes sounds quite weird.

A bit like the UK expecting Thais to get a visa for entry but Thailand allowing UK residents a 30 day visa free pass?

• Like 1

It's not about race. And certainly has nothing to do with age. It's about tax dollars. Public facilities like the Korat Zoo are paid for with tax dollars. Thai tax dollars. If you're able to show a work permit or sometimes just a non-B, you can pay the Thai rate at those facilities. Usually. Every once in a while you get a ticket vendor that's not familiar with that policy...

A thai friend told me that a thai drivers license would do the trick. Haven't done it yet. Anyone know if this is true?? Came up when I paid 1000 to Thais 500 for the fancy ladyboy show in Pattaya.

I live in Isan and it doesn't come up that much. For things that I can ask for in advance I usually make a point of asking price beforehand. Tuktuks taught me that. It seems like I get the Thai price all the time and get lulled into not asking. Then of course...

In the scheme of things it's not a big deal, but it continues to irk me. I pay taxes. And I honor fairness . When I get overcharged I don't feel like I'm paying my fair share. I feel like an object being used. I don't treat their kids that way, practice good ecology. I don't expect the same, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. If I overreact in private afterwards or fantasize different scenarios, so be it. There's still time for further evolution.

Having a Thai drivers license works about 50% of the time. I have a Thai DL & a Thai registered vehicle, in my name. Still get charged farang price at some national parks. I've tried to argue the point with no luck.

Just sayin.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 1

At the Bts in Bkk they have discounts for Thai students and Thai senior citizens.

200 baht sounds like they charged you the price 2 kids and 3 young children. Maybe you got a discount. 200 baht for a family to go to the zoo is a bargain. Never happen in a 1st world country.

Some Thais have money and most don't, but all get discounts.

Some students have money but most don't, but all get discount.

Some Thai seniors have money but most don't, but all get discount.

Is the two tier system based on age acceptable?

Even the foreigner price is a lot cheaper than you would ever find in your own country.

• Like 1

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

As a resident of Thailand for 37 years, who speaks, reads, and writes Thai, I can tell you without equivocation Thais are in general racist. Too many will turn on you in a moment regardless of your long held friendship for a minor infraction. Keep your nose clean. As for two tier pricing it's ugliness always rears it's head. They don't do it to Chinese who are foreigners because they can't tell if they are or aren't Thai unless they have to speak. I love these people, but they have shortcomings that defy common sense, No different than The Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. They all believe their chosen to rule.

I haven't been here long enough to say either way. But if you've lived here for 37 years, and you believe that, then why do you live here? I'm really quite curious.

• Like 2

Khon Kaen zoo, went there dec 27, on the entrance feebig sign have indicated people over 60 enter for free.Showed them my Thai drivers license saying them I was over 60.

No way I could get in for free, does not apply for foreigners, 5555

Had to pay 200B for myself, wife and 3 year young.

Seems entry price 100B pp, kids 70 young children 20.

Don't know how this adds up to 200B.

Anyway, reasonably amount to get in.

They have open type of buses running around, 20B pp, a must if you don't want to walk the mile around the grounds...

At least you made your family happy and spent quality time with them at at zoo...you did not turned back but you paid....some may just driven their family back home all in the name of " principle ".....clap2.gif

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

As a resident of Thailand for 37 years, who speaks, reads, and writes Thai, I can tell you without equivocation Thais are in general racist. Too many will turn on you in a moment regardless of your long held friendship for a minor infraction. Keep your nose clean. As for two tier pricing it's ugliness always rears it's head. They don't do it to Chinese who are foreigners because they can't tell if they are or aren't Thai unless they have to speak. I love these people, but they have shortcomings that defy common sense, No different than The Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. They all believe their chosen to rule.

I haven't been here long enough to say either way. But if you've lived here for 37 years, and you believe that, then why do you live here? I'm really quite curious.

Because they're hypocritical mate. They want the benefits of Thailand while also wanting the positive aspects of their nation of birth.

This guy for instance claims in general Thais are racist, which personally I haven't found. What I have found is that Thais don't respect farang as much as they used to because more of the obnoxious farang and bar stool heroes come out than did say 20-30 years ago.

I also find it amusing how he claims to read Thai yet cannot differentiate between they're and their.

It never ceases to amaze me how many posters on here hate this nation yet continue to live here.

I love this nation, the people, the food and most things about it, but I really hate the double pricing and how some try to ripoff us who are not Thai.

That's the reason I prefer to stay out of the tourist areas.

@Luxfare

"I also find it amusing how he claims to read Thai yet cannot differentiate between they're and their."

Punctuation! Anyway. Which wrong use of they're vs. their are you referring to. How is that related to Thai reading capability?

Edited by CapeCobra

Wouldn't you?

Because they're hypocritical mate. They want the benefits of Thailand while also wanting the positive aspects of their nation of birth.

This guy for instance claims in general Thais are racist, which personally I haven't found. What I have found is that Thais don't respect farang as much as they used to because more of the obnoxious farang and bar stool heroes come out than did say 20-30 years ago.

I also find it amusing how he claims to read Thai yet cannot differentiate between they're and their.

It never ceases to amaze me how many posters on here hate this nation yet continue to live here.

wow I agree

when I was living in California many Mexicans would walk around waving the Mexican flag and criticizing America while choosing to live in America, often illegally.

People constantly criticizing Thailand but choose to remain here must think very poorly of their own country. They obviously feel living in Thailand is better for them than their birth country.

Looking at many posts, it seems Thailand is attracting people with little money and low education and no opportunities in their own country.

• Like 2

@Luxfare

"I also find it amusing how he claims to read Thai yet cannot differentiate between they're and their."

Punctuation! Anyway. Which wrong use of they're vs. their are you referring to. How is that related to Thai reading capability?

The last sentence in which he claims Asians believe THEY'RE born to rule.

It's not about race. And certainly has nothing to do with age. It's about tax dollars. Public facilities like the Korat Zoo are paid for with tax dollars. Thai tax dollars. If you're able to show a work permit or sometimes just a non-B, you can pay the Thai rate at those facilities. Usually. Every once in a while you get a ticket vendor that's not familiar with that policy...

We all pay tax,vat.This is a way to get non taxpaying Thais to contribute to the coffers.

Income tax and tax on a purchase are not the same things.

A thai friend told me that a thai drivers license would do the trick. Haven't done it yet. Anyone know if this is true?? Came up when I paid 1000 to Thais 500 for the fancy ladyboy show in Pattaya.

I live in Isan and it doesn't come up that much. For things that I can ask for in advance I usually make a point of asking price beforehand. Tuktuks taught me that. It seems like I get the Thai price all the time and get lulled into not asking. Then of course...

In the scheme of things it's not a big deal, but it continues to irk me. I pay taxes. And I honor fairness . When I get overcharged I don't feel like I'm paying my fair share. I feel like an object being used. I don't treat their kids that way, practice good ecology. I don't expect the same, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. If I overreact in private afterwards or fantasize different scenarios, so be it. There's still time for further evolution.

Having a Thai drivers license works about 50% of the time. I have a Thai DL & a Thai registered vehicle, in my name. Still get charged farang price at some national parks. I've tried to argue the point with no luck.

Just sayin.

Cheers..... Mal.

I'm not sure if Thai drivering license is the indicator. They normally ask for a work permit or non-B visa. Either way, I've found the national parks will let me in at the Thai rate 100% of the time, provided I have the work permit or non-B in the passport. It's the smaller attractions, like the zoo, museums, etc. that seem hit or miss.

@Luxfare

The last sentence in which he claims Asians believe THEY'RE born to rule.

OK! Found it.

I often speak Thai to them and tell then I am a teacher and ask for the Thai price. Often don't need to show anything. It is their discretion.

At street markets I can ask for the price. I then speak Thai and ask for the Thai price and it drops 50%.

Greeting them in Thai and speaking Thai shows respect for their country.

• Like 1

Dusit Zoo in Bangkok charge just 100 baht entrance for a farang ( jaidee or not jaidee ) Where I lived before in the Canary Islands the Parks,Zoos & water parks charged on average 27 euros entrance fee! and nowhere near the size of Dusit Zoo!!!! ( of course being a tour guide I got in for free viewers....) x

• Like 1

Dusit Zoo in Bangkok charge just 100 baht entrance for a farang ( jaidee or not jaidee ) Where I lived before in the Canary Islands the Parks,Zoos & water parks charged on average 27 euros entrance fee! and nowhere near the size of Dusit Zoo!!!! ( of course being a tour guide I got in for free viewers....) x

That won't hold any sway with the Thai bashers mate.

They'll come out with usual " but we're not in ......., we're in Thailand" only to then refer to how something should change in Thailand as it's the way of doing things "back in (fill in wherever nation they're from)".

Some people don't get irony.

I often speak Thai to them and tell then I am a teacher and ask for the Thai price. Often don't need to show anything. It is their discretion.

At street markets I can ask for the price. I then speak Thai and ask for the Thai price and it drops 50%.

Greeting them in Thai and speaking Thai shows respect for their country.

Try Jatu Jak weekend market, I managed to get a 80% price reduction when speaking Thai one time explaining that I needed a tent and sleeping bag for scout camp, starting price B5,000 and I payed B1,000...

I only haggle if I think something is to expensive and I usually manage to get the price down between 10-75% depending on what I'm buying.

It's really no big secret that a large majority of Thais are not only racist but actually embody classism to such a level that it permeates every aspect of Thai life.

It's a cast/class system that is regulated and perpetuated by the process of inclusion and exclusion.

and while it is possible someone from the lower strata of society can move upwards through the socio-economic strata, chances are less likely they will be truly accepted. Their language style, education, and social mannerisms often will still have them excluded from elite group status.

This is somewhat true in the west. Group and organizational homogeny and integrity seem to exclude (or limit) would be adherents but if the would be member can emulate the criteria for inclusion- he or she will most likely be accepted as an equal.

The short version reads like this; Just because a Thai smiles at you or acts nice- it doesn't mean they accept, or respect you.

That has to be earned by proper behavior- language style- clothing style, etc.

Uncle Bob (observer of the Thai world)

Try inserting any other nationality/country into your pronouncement. I tried - still rings true.....

It's really no big secret that a large majority of Thais are not only racist but actually embody classism to such a level that it permeates every aspect of Thai life.

It's a cast/class system that is regulated and perpetuated by the process of inclusion and exclusion.

and while it is possible someone from the lower strata of society can move upwards through the socio-economic strata, chances are less likely they will be truly accepted. Their language style, education, and social mannerisms often will still have them excluded from elite group status.

This is somewhat true in the west. Group and organizational homogeny and integrity seem to exclude (or limit) would be adherents but if the would be member can emulate the criteria for inclusion- he or she will most likely be accepted as an equal.

The short version reads like this; Just because a Thai smiles at you or acts nice- it doesn't mean they accept, or respect you.

That has to be earned by proper behavior- language style- clothing style, etc.

Uncle Bob (observer of the Thai world)

Try inserting any other nationality/country into your pronouncement. I tried - still rings true.....

Eldragon you say "Those same foreigners would be charged the Thai rate. It's not about how much you make, but where you make it."

Again you are wrong.

I am one of those foreigners making 30 K a month in Thailand and I still get charged the foreigner price many places.

Yes, I can show work permit, my government employee card, speak Thai but it doesn't always help.

• Like 1

One time when I really enjoyed the 200 baht entrance fees for foreigners against the 20 baht fee for Thais was on an employeee outing .

I forget the exact numbers but maybe there were 10 - 15 Thais and four foreigners.

We went to a really run down museum in Ayutaya and they absolutely refused to give the foreigners a discount. So the boss had to pay 800 baht for for 4 foreigners instead of the 80 baht that was budgetted.

That was an absolute waste of money and even 20 baht would have been too much for that place.

In BKK most of the doctors work for several hospitals and everything is subject to negotiation. If you have foreign medical insurance the price will be high and of course the surgeon will try to get the best price he can.

My main complaint with Thai hospitals would be that they pad the bill with unnecessary medication and services and follow up visits.

Those that say the NHS in the UK is free are talking rubbish. You have to go private or go on a two year waiting list for anything that isn't immediately life threatening and the service is mostly shoddy to say the least.

I agree that the british NHS is shoddy and you have the long waiting times, but it is free.

The doctors in the Thai hospitals, as far as I know, have no say on the price. When I asked the doctor, he admitted he didn't know the price but I'd have to ask at the administration.

If you are having an operation it's a good idea to sign a contract with the hospital because if something goes wrong it could end up costing a fortune.

So fix the price by contract once a price has been agreed because anything could happen.

A good piece of advice.

Anyway a previous operation I had was about 30,000 lower than they estimated.

Hopefully, I won't need more operations but who knows?

One time when I really enjoyed the 200 baht entrance fees for foreigners against the 20 baht fee for Thais was on an employeee outing .

I forget the exact numbers but maybe there were 10 - 15 Thais and four foreigners.

We went to a really run down museum in Ayutaya and they absolutely refused to give the foreigners a discount. So the boss had to pay 800 baht for for 4 foreigners instead of the 80 baht that was budgetted.

That was an absolute waste of money and even 20 baht would have been too much for that place.

I remember 1 time I was riding my bike along the cambodian border around Nam Yuen by the way appeared a sign National park in the middle of nowhere I was alone with my Girlfriend no tourists at all and told her to ask what is the attraction inside.

The staff said a waterfall, it was end of april, but I never heard there is a real waterfall.

Anyway then I asked running water down now, he would not tell me, I been asking several times, ok I said we pay thai price and I take the risk.

We agreed inside this kind of park a max 5m high rock no water flowing down only a small pool half full of water it was not worth the thai price, not with full water flow at all, some parks are just a rip off for any price.

I think not fair to compare 1st world countries charging the same admission based on the country's economy. The price is already high.

Thai prices are set to make it available to enough Thai people. Most westerners have enough money to pay a slightly higher price.

Prices are set by market demand. If they can raise the price and only slightly effect demand then that is following the principles of economics. It is more Thais are getting a discount.

Most people don't care if students get discount or elderly get discount at a theater when everyone gets the same seat.

Everyone pays the same for food.

I think you did'nt read my post above properly maybe you should us a calculator.

I think not fair to compare 1st world countries charging the same admission based on the country's economy. The price is already high.

Thai prices are set to make it available to enough Thai people. Most westerners have enough money to pay a slightly higher price.

Prices are set by market demand. If they can raise the price and only slightly effect demand then that is following the principles of economics. It is more Thais are getting a discount.

Most people don't care if students get discount or elderly get discount at a theater when everyone gets the same seat.

Everyone pays the same for food.

I find a lot of this statement stupid, So because you are a millionaire you have to pay more in any Country.

I recommend everybody have to carry his recent tax report and getting charged after his income regardless of any race and nationality. whistling.gif 55555

So, if I understand you clearly, Thais who don't pay income tax, for whatever reason, should pay the increased price...

God, I'm getting raked over the coals for this one... All I'm saying is that's the way it is and that's why it is that way.

But if you're asking me personally, then yeah, I think it's fair that foreigners pay a little extra to enjoy attractions that are funded by Thai taxpayers. That being said, I think they've got it weighted a little high for foreigners. I mean, I think national parks are like 40 THB for Thais and 200- or maybe even 400- THB for foreigners. That's kinda ridiculous. Still, it doesn't compare to the likes of Angkor Wat over in Cambo: free for locals and something like $20 per day for foreigners.

If only they would set the difference as locals (regardless of nationality) and non locals (regardless of nationality).

If you don't have citizenship, you're not a local.

You are wrong in germany, if you are resident(legal registered) of any city regardless of your nationality, then you are local.

In top every EU Citzen can go to national election in a foreign EU country where he is resident.

This should be the same everywhere.

You are wrong in germany, if you are resident(legal registered) of any city regardless of your nationality, then you are local.

In top every EU Citzen can go to national election in a foreign EU country where he is resident.

This should be the same everywhere.

why should it be ? i sure dont want you voting in my country. and if that bothers you, dont come here.