Pizza Big [Pattaya Naklua] - what happened ?

BoatWorx

Been going to Pizza Big many years. Always had a manager overseeing the food prepation and customer's satisfaction. I work out of town a lot and weeks and months may pass between visits to Pizza Big.

Last 3 times the last 3 months we have not seen any farang management and the food quality has taken a serious dive for the worst. Am I correct to speculate an ownership change or other changes that has removed the expat influence ?

I had a couple of takeaway pizzas last week (10 days ago) and they were as they have always been.

Last time I ate there (about 6 weeks ago) I thought the pizzas were not quite as good as they had been but they were certainly not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I was informed that Roberto, the manager went to Italy for an emergency and clearly the current scenario [as always in Thailand] when the cats away the mice play.

He is supposed to return soon and possibly all will be back into order. There were many reasons why I was disappointed with the food. The preparation was not in line with a true Italian pizzeria, they have been faking recipes and now I clearly see why.

I thought Pattaya had lost one of the few really good and reasonably priced restaurants again.

• Like 1

FWIW, Roberto--whom I guess is the owner--has been missing for a while.

The Pizza Girl, whose name seems to be Jac, is sometimes attentive, sometimes having a bad hair day.

Patchy pizza quality, but still good....some of the time

Roberto told me that "The Jews flew the planes into the Twin Towers."

I'd never have guessed.

He used to fly small planes in South Australia by the way....from Aldinga, to Kangaroo Island.

A man of many parts

I think a good test (apart from the quality of the food) would be on a Sunday night. If the place is busy with Italian expats watching La Liga (Italian football) and drinking Italian beer and eating the food, then the place is still a goer. If not, look elsewhere. Grottinos is off the main road, near to dolphin roundabout. Italian owned and good food and service. Soi 33, I think, opposite Woodlands resort.

I think a good test (apart from the quality of the food) would be on a Sunday night. If the place is busy with Italian expats watching La Liga (Italian football) and drinking Italian beer and eating the food, then the place is still a goer. If not, look elsewhere. Grottinos is off the main road, near to dolphin roundabout. Italian owned and good food and service. Soi 33, I think, opposite Woodlands resort.

Is that the one with the pizza oven outside and tables in the soi?

topt: Yes that's it. Has a European guy on the pizza oven. Pizzas and soups always good, chocolate ice cream to die for. Last time I went I had a below average lasagne and was very jealous of the Thai GF's spaghetti seafood.

La Liga = Spanish Fotball Serie A = Italy

It is indeed on soi 33 and does a good pizza, not tried any of the other dishes though.

There is another Italian restaurant virtually opposite it, name escapes me for now, will try that one sometime.

smile.png