Songkhla multi-entry visa new law question

Do I have to go to Penang for two days to do 90-day checks for a one-year multiple-entry visa, or can I still just go to Hatyai immigration for the checks?

I moved to Songkhla this summer and work at a learning center. In Sept I got a multiple-entry one year visa and now I've missed my 90-day check on Dec. 16. My boss says I have to stay in Penang for two days for all 90-day checks, and that it was a new rule passed last month. Some of my friends say I can still just go to Hatyai, or cross the border at Sadao, since one of them did her 90-day check by crossing the Sadao border three weeks ago with a multiple-entry visa.

You probably have a extension of stay (it is not a "multi-entry one-year visa") . In this case you can do 90 days report at your nearest immigration office. Since you're late, you could be fined up to to 2,000 Bt.

If you do not have the extension of stay but truly a multi entry visa, you need to leave country and pay Bt 6,000 overstay fine. Sadao / Dannok would be the worst choice because their corrupt practices.

There is no "new rule passed last month".

Edited by paz

I have a Non-immigrant, category "B," entry "M" from Penang, issued on the 15th of Sept., expires Sept. 14, 2015.

Then the second paragraph above applies to you. You never need to do "checks" but must leave country every 90 days.

You can also obtain an extension of stay at your local immigration office with the correct paperwork and work permit from your school.

Edited by paz

Another teacher said she just went over the border at Sadao and back in one day for her 90-day check-three weeks ago. I just have to cross the border?

Yes you can re-enter immediately unless immigration makes it difficult - e.g asking to show Bt 20,000 in cash or a bribe to be let go.

Again that is not a "check", is commonly called "border hop".

One of my teacher friends is insisting that if I have a valid non-B multi-entry and work permit, I can renew at Hatyai immigration and pay the fees there. But she's the only one so far saying that.

That is not a "renewal", it's an extension of stay for reason of employment. As mentioned before for that you need extensive paperwork from your school, tax receipts, work permit, fee Bt. 1,900. But since you're now in overstay, you can't practically apply for that, and must leave country. When you come back you can apply in the last 30 days of your allowed 90.

Another teacher said she just went over the border at Sadao and back in one day for her 90-day check-three weeks ago. I just have to cross the border?

You are miss using terminology which is causing some confusion.

Since you have a multi-entry visa what you need to do is typically referred to as a "boarder run" or "boarder hop".

A 90 day check-in is when you have an extension of stay and every 90 days you need to report to the local immigration office to confirm your current address. Being late on a 90 day "check-in" is not as big of a deal as being late doing a "boarder run". The fee for being late for an immigration report or check-in is 1900 Baht.

However you are now on overstay. The fee for this is 500 baht per day. You need to go to the nearest boarder and leave Thailand and then return. There are no new rules.

So you need to leave Thailand and turn around and come right back in. Some of the boarder crossings with Cambodia will try and extort money from you for not staying 24hrs. The laws in Cambodia is once you enter the kingdom you need to stay 24hrs. This is not enforced and typically the Cambodian immigration officer will try and take advantage of the situation and extort anywhere from 100-300 baht for not staying the 24hrs. I have refused to pay this many times. I just tell them no that i never had to pay this before. The officer will complain and wait 1-2 minutes and then will give in and stamp your passport as really they can't do anything and cant force you to stay.

You can go to any boarder to exit Thailand and return. Since you did overstay they will stamp place a stamp in your passport stating that you overstayed. This will not effect you obtaining any visa's in the future.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the input.

Several foreign teachers on Sonkghla Facebook with multi-entry visas said they just go to Hatyai immigration for their "90 day paper" and it's fine. Some even posted a link, claiming that you can do it by mail. Since I don't know all the visa issue categories, perhaps they are in a different situation. I did go to the Hatyai immigration office yesterday but it was closed, so I took a van to Pedang Besar, paid a 6000 baht fine (500 baht a day) at the border, crossed into Malaysia and back to Thailand without any problems, then went back home to Songkhla.

Edited by rachelbirder

OP, help you understand... a VISA is the key to the door allowing you to pass into the Kingdom... the STAMP/Extend Stay is how long you can stay in the Kingdom.. Another analogy, Think of driving a car, the VISA is the Key letting you unlock and enter the Car and Start it. The STAMP/Extend Stay is the Gasoline/Petro determining how far you can go in the car... wink.png

The VISA & STAMP/Extend Stay work hand-in-hand with each other however different in their purpose and ability to stay in Thailand. When Crossing a border into Thailand, the Immigration Officer will check your VISA (key) is valid/expired/type, based on it being valid and type, he/she will grant you entry into the Kingdom for a period of time "STAMP/Extend Stay". Once in Thailand, going to the Immigration Office, you can be granted a Extension of stay for many reasons "STAMP/Extend Stay"...

REPORTING at Immigration is required whenever your STAMP/Extend Stay is > 90 days.... Two ways to accomplish: 1) Report at Immigration http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days (Bangkok Procedures... Pls use same but your local Immigration Office) 2) Cross the border < 90 days (Which is usually not necessary for Teachers with Work Permits)(And WARNING if your entry is SINGLE, a re-entry permit (1900b) is required or it will invalidate your VISA/Work permit.

Please see your Administration about your status regarding your Visa & STAMP/Extend Stay... Most teachers I see have a Non-O B SINGLE entry Visa. They come to Thailand, Immigration STAMP/Extend Stay 90 days. You report to the school in a timely manner (pre-arranged)... Sometimes they give you a little vacation time prior to starting. Then the school completes the extensive paperwork for the work-permit. Upon submission and completion of the work-permit, Immigration will STAMP/Extend Stay up to 1 year. This is where you 90 day report at Immigration starts because your STAMP/Extend Stay is > 90 days. Again, If you need to leave the Kingdom for travel or other reason on a SINGLE entry, ensure you have a RE-ENTRY Permit (1900b).

Since you have a NON-O B Multiple with work Permit, I am unsure how it works... Some of the more enlightened can help with that one... I suspect your school has not finished the work permit process yet if you are on 1st 90 days...

Lastly OP, I think you referred to a "New Law", maybe for overstay... It was announced last summer but not enforced/approved yet... Maybe early next year: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744965-thailand-immigration-confirms-new-overstay-rules-are-now-official/

I hope I was able to help OP...wai2.gif

Edited by ThailandRick