Dutch Woman Die, 2 Missing In Rough Seas

sriracha john

Two die, 2 missing in rough seas

A Dutch woman died and three of her friends were injured when they were swept underwater by strong waves while playing in the sea at Sai Khao Beach in Koh Chang yesterday afternoon.

Four Thai tourists were injured in the same manner shortly afterwards at a nearby location on the resort island in Trat province.

While three Dutch tourists were pulled out of the water in time at 12.30pm, Caroline Hayer, 30, was in the sea too long. She was taken to Koh Chang International Hospital, but doctors were unable to save her.

The group had arrived in Koh Chang only one day earlier. :o

Less than one kilometre away, four Thai men in their 20s from Bangkok were rescued from the sea. One man, identified only as Chaikul, is in a critical condition in hospital. The other three were only slightly injured.

Koh Chang subdistrict chief Sakprasert Chareonprasit said such incidents resulted from tourists ignoring warnings by local authorities and tour operators to stay away from large waves.

In another tragedy, five-year-old Anchitha Moonkhammee was killed and her brother Varuth, 10, went missing in strong waves in front of Reaun Burapa Restaurant in Rayong's Muang district yesterday afternoon.

Local fishermen who witnessed the incident said the children had been strolling along the beach with their mother Leela Srichala, 33, before they went into the sea and the waves swept them away.

About 100 metres from the scene, six-year-old Atthapol Chalaemlam was swept into the sea. He remains missing.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

In another tragedy, five-year-old Anchitha Moonkhammee was killed and her brother Varuth, 10, went missing in strong waves in front of Reaun Burapa Restaurant in Rayong's Muang district yesterday afternoon.

The wife called me a few days ago from the Maerampuang Beach area and I could hear the waves on the phone, she said it was very unsettled, not sure how close these areas are, but it shows the waves in this area can be quite strong.

Moss

The wife called me a few days ago from the Maerampuang Beach area and I could hear the waves on the phone, she said it was very unsettled, not sure how close these areas are, but it shows the waves in this area can be quite strong.

Moss

Mae Ram Puang is, indeed, not far from Rayong city... just a bit further down the coast and it is particularly infamous for its undertows and currents and has been the site of numerous drownings over the years.

------

RIP to all who have succumbed to its powerful waters...

Dutch woman drowns while swimming in sea off Koh Chang

Victim's husband and sister rescued

A Dutch woman drowned in waters off Koh Chang in Trat province yesterday while swimming with her family. Caroline Haayer, 31, arrived on Koh Chang on Friday with her husband and her sister. They booked into the Hat Sai Khao resort hotel. The three were taking a swim near the beach when a tidal wave swept them out to sea. Lifeguards and hotel staff could only save the husband and sister, who were rushed to Koh Chang International Clinic. Later they found Ms Haayer, who was pronounced dead at the clinic. In a separate incident at KC resort, four local tourists were swept away by a big wave but rescuers saved them. Pol Col Chuchart Kaewtrairat, Koh Chang police chief, said tourists had been ignoring a warning against swimming in the sea as waves were forecast to reach up to three metres. Sakprasert Charoenprasit, Koh Chang district assistant chief, said police, local officials and hotel staff had been dispatched to the beaches to inform tourists to stay onshore.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/13Aug2006_news07.php

KOH CHAMG: -- A Dutchwoman died and three of her friends were injured when they were swept underwater by strong waves while playing in the sea at Sai Khao Beach in Koh Chang yesterday afternoon.

Four Thai tourists were injured in the same manner shortly afterwards at a nearby location on the resort island in Trat province.

While three Dutch tourists were pulled out of the water in time at 12.30pm, Caroline Hayer, 30, was in the sea too long. She was taken to Koh Chang International Hospital, but doctors were unable to save her.

The group had arrived in Koh Chang only one day earlier.

Less than one kilometre away, four Thai men in their 20s from Bangkok were rescued from the sea. One man, identified only as Chaikul, is in a critical condition in hospital. The other three were only slightly injured.

Koh Chang subdistrict chief Sakprasert Chareonprasit said such incidents resulted from tourists ignoring warnings by local authorities and tour operators to stay away from large waves.

Local fishermen who witnessed the incident said the children had been strolling along the beach with their mother Leela Srichala, 33, before they went into the sea and the waves swept them away.

About 100 metres from the scene, six-year-old Atthapol Chalaemlam was swept into the sea. He remains missing.

--The Nation 2006-08-13

That's a tragedy. Condolences to the familes of these people.

It's no joke when the red flags are posted and swimming is restricted. At Mai Khao I ignored these warnings and got swept out in a rip current. eventually I was able to make it back in but barely. It is hard to resist when you see those beautiful waves and the water is warm, but be careful. If you are caught in a rip current, go with it and dont swim against it. Try to float and conserve energy and most of all try not to panic. I know it is easily said, but it could save your life.

Its all *too easy to ignore warnings.

Here in the UK, most sensible people take one look at the sea and say "<deleted> that". You can see its not gonna be an easy ride and, be very dangerous for most of the year.

Whilst over in paradise, its just sometimes not so easy to spot. Undercurrents, rips etc.

Sad, very sad. My condolences to all concerned. :o

redrus

Edited by redrus

It's no joke when the red flags are posted and swimming is restricted. At Mai Khao I ignored these warnings and got swept out in a rip current. eventually I was able to make it back in but barely. It is hard to resist when you see those beautiful waves and the water is warm, but be careful. If you are caught in a rip current, go with it and dont swim against it. Try to float and conserve energy and most of all try not to panic. I know it is easily said, but it could save your life.

hard to tell a 6 year old that

one step either way in the water and you could be in over your head or in a rip

kids have no fear of the water

Good advice.

I remember snorkelling off the coast of Sitia in NE Crete. I was that engrossed by all the marine life I only put my head out of water because the sea felt suddenly cold. I could hardly see the island!

My first reaction was panic. Then I calmed myself and just swam steadily towards land.

It took over 2 hours to get back (and that was with flippers)

Never again !

Good advice.

I remember snorkelling off the coast of Sitia in NE Crete. I was that engrossed by all the marine life I only put my head out of water because the sea felt suddenly cold. I could hardly see the island!

My first reaction was panic. Then I calmed myself and just swam steadily towards land.

Never again !

Your best chance is to swim sideways out of the rip current. The rip current is like a street, it only has a certain width - though it can be pretty wide. So you have to know which direction it's going, and then swim perpendicular to that until you left it, then swim back.

Easier said than done, I know.

Swimming agains the current is the worst thing you can do. Only works if the current is very weak and you are wasting all your energy.

Good advice.

Never again !

Your best chance is to swim sideways out of the rip current. The rip current is like a street, it only has a certain width - though it can be pretty wide. So you have to know which direction it's going, and then swim perpendicular to that until you left it, then swim back.

Easier said than done, I know.

Swimming agains the current is the worst thing you can do. Only works if the current is very weak and you are wasting all your energy.

listen to this man people if you dont want to die if caught in this very situation.

you must swim slowly ONLY ACROSS THE CURRENT and never swim directly into it as guess who wins? not you mate.

keep your cool and you will break out of the current as its only so wide and then the ocean returns to normal.

im from oz and all aussie's now this to be true.

cheers

oo boy im dutch myself to , condolance aan de familie.

I used to rent a jetski in pattaya like 4 times a week ,and had some motoric prob with them somethimes but I always managed to get them running again .

one day i had this jetskie for myself all day and wanted to go the the nearby island with it,its was already gettin dark but i thaught I could make it .anyways half the way this fukkin engijne stopt and I didnt get on on again ,so I paniced I waited for like 2 hours and saw no boat whatsoever ,Ive was being swept away into the ocean,I really paniced I saw already had visions of my al burned from the sun and dryed out in the middle of the ocean floatin on a dead jetskie ,,luckely I had a lifevest with me ,it was already dark and I sw the pattaya light gettin further and futher away ,so i said to myself fukkit i have to make a swim for it, otherwise im death for sure ,let me tell you ive been swimming for over 15 hours ,I swim all fukkin night ,till a local toerist boat spotted me ,they got me aboard and I was almost death ,after they gave me some cold beer en food I was feeling better again,never again I go alone on sea ,it was a life lesson .

Edited by GhettoPimp

There actually is a much safer way to deal with rip currents. Very few are more than, at most, a couple hundred meters across. So the best thing to do is swim sideways, out of the current. I've saved myself very long journeys this way - usually, you're out in no more than a minute of swimming, and not that far from shore (especially if you notice quickly and swim parallel to the beach in the direction you just came from). Times may vary - I'm a pretty good swimmer - but this is the training lifeguards get, in the states anyway, so put it to good use. Letting the current carry you is better than fighting it, but not a very good way to save yourself - who knows how far you'll go, or how far you can swim.

WARNING:Long post that rants and raves about life and this unfortunate world, but still interesting.

No doubt. It frustrates me to hear about incidents where people are harmed because they were either uninformed/misled OR too egoistic/over zealous/just plain cocky. In this specific case, I know the best thing to do is truthfully know your limits. Those flags are serious...certainly there are great swimmers in the pool, but the ocean is a different world. Of you're not an experienced swimmer, don't swim in the ocean.

I'd say first practice in a pool or lake...something not so dangerous, then get in the ocean when the conditions meet your ability.

I have had only one close friend pass away...relating to some shady events revolving around drugs and selfish people..but no other immediate or even extended family. But even still, I have a great deal of empathy for those who have lost loved ones, due to reasons that could have been prevented had they been educated. Even angered that in this day in age the level of education and accessibilty is so great, people still suffer and even die from things we can cure or give them....sorry, I'm ranting and raving...but bottom-line, I believe that the reason these people died is purely based on the fact that they did not know their limits (for whatever reason), and were given little or no education about the ocean in that particular beach.

And yes, the info is out there and the statistics as well...Anyone who has read up and are aware, know the meaning of red flags at the beach.

You know what? Now that I think about it, those tourists probably had the accessibilty to the information about swimming accidents/deaths where they were and could have prevented it by reading up on it. It's a morbid, almost selfish way to look at it, but I think they may almost have had it coming the whole time. They had access to saving themselves, but didn't fore-see it or research it. Who's to blame? Or is there anyone to even blame?

Thai's put up the red flag, people who live there understand the level of consequences and condition of the oceans. The tourist from where ever who's lived on calm beaches has a different sense of "rough waters." I think statistics tell the truth...even though red flags get the message across to most. The Thai beaches, or any beach should have a list or post at every beach entrance: their death rate, levels of conditions, wave height, deaths at times of the year, avg. rip tide current vs. their own rip tide current...etc., etc.

Now, I understand this is a really REALLY optimistic view of things, all of this certainly costs money..for sure. And to expect a country like Thailand to fund the oceanic/aquatic research and post things on a daily basis is a dream TODAY, but it will be like that EVENTUALLY. Well I at least like to think that it will be that way. Again it's frustrating to see certain peoples of other countries deprived of certain "luxuries" we Americans have.

Kk, sorry long post, but I got really fired up after reading this.........

Ummmm, All this BS in one sentence?

Never before in human history had information or knowledge or communication or population (Are you aware that today's population exceeds the population people who have died?!!?, it's nuts) Ok, the amount of new information is exponential compared to the rest of human history, we are learning new things at an incredible rate and being the rock stars we are, we're SLOWLY adapting. This is my point, the fact that we are such rockstars in regards to really eduating ourselves means nothing if only a small percentage of people are learning it. It's a fact, people at younger ages are learning faster and more efficiently - but onyl to those who are given the opportunity...I find it really sad, pathetic, and even archaic that the whole world isn't exposed to or has the same accessibility to the same information...but on the other hand, even though I know it could be better, a civililization or community, or even family relationships take time and change is a slow process. This is partly why I want to teach in Thailand..give back the lucky opportunity I was given to those who may never get it. It was pure chance, pure luck, I was raised in the family I was raised in and by either: a helping hand from above from WHO knows what or whom OR by still, pure chance, almost like a universal ticking clock that commands everyone to a pre-stuctured existence...I dunno, I don't want to even delve into that..but I think that no matter whether I'm doing myself or whether some god is guiding me and helping me, or even if it's predetermined...I can honestly say that I live a happy life. Yeah I worry, and go through some crappy times, but really I am living a perfectly happy life - considering all in all - and I've met maybe 2 or 3 people in my entire life who I think are doing the same.....

...you know to anyone who has even read through this much bulls**t, thanks for reading but I didn't mean to steal the wind from those I wanted to pay my respects to. If you were interested or curious or hated what I had to say throw me an e-mail at <snip - email address deleted>

It's unfortunate to watch any person or animal die an unfortunate death, when we had the means and education avialable to save them........I guess it's what it is.....

Thanks for reading, and apologies if you weren't into it,

Blake

/Mod Edit - email address deleted in the interests of privacy protection - please see the Forum Rules.

Terrible losses of life to the elements of nature,innocent people just enjoying there time in paradise.

When there has been so much loss of life recently in the middle East inflicted by waring factions.

Will the world ever be on an even Keel, simple answer NO

I am sure the thoughts of everyone on this Forum old and new will be with those families who have lost loved ones.

macb

How was that local warning given? Would that be a sign written in thai or by the local vendor while ripen off the tourist tell them in Thai. hmm . This country for being dependent on tourism seems to do nothing at all to ensure the safety of the visitors. Ever see a lifeguard here? Ever see a first aid center? Sorry, I have never even seen a warning sign but then again I can’t read Thai.

There actually is a much safer way to deal with rip currents. Very few are more than, at most, a couple hundred meters across. So the best thing to do is swim sideways, out of the current. I've saved myself very long journeys this way - usually, you're out in no more than a minute of swimming, and not that far from shore (especially if you notice quickly and swim parallel to the beach in the direction you just came from). Times may vary - I'm a pretty good swimmer - but this is the training lifeguards get, in the states anyway, so put it to good use. Letting the current carry you is better than fighting it, but not a very good way to save yourself - who knows how far you'll go, or how far you can swim.

How was that local warning given? Would that be a sign written in thai or by the local vendor while ripen off the tourist tell them in Thai. hmm . This country for being dependent on tourism seems to do nothing at all to ensure the safety of the visitors. Ever see a lifeguard here? Ever see a first aid center? Sorry, I have never even seen a warning sign but then again I can’t read Thai.

it would have been a big red flag on the beach .... look around the next time you get here

--The Nation 2006-08-13

This place IMO is Mae Ramphueng or near there.

This beach (Mae Ramphueng) looks nice and not dangerous you can think at first while playing or swimming in the sea. You can not see the danger is always lurking - it is lurking in undertows and currents.

The Thais they work and live there, know it very good. Every time I was there in this beach, they've warned me about this danger - not go far...!!! ...and talked again about over new dead ones.

It's a place more for Thai families and Thai group-tours.

That is always a tragedy and my condolences to the familes.

You are a 100% right. I was in the water of Cancun , Mexico for over 1 1/2 hours swimming sideways until a wave big wave got me back to shore and I was a trained lifeguard from the States 25 years old at the time and stupid for ignoring the RED FLAGS.

I used to rent a jetski in pattaya like 4 times a week ,and had some motoric prob with them somethimes but I always managed to get them running again .

one day i had this jetskie for myself all day and wanted to go the the nearby island with it,its was already gettin dark but i thaught I could make it .anyways half the way this fukkin engijne stopt and I didnt get on on again ,so I paniced I waited for like 2 hours and saw no boat whatsoever ,Ive was being swept away into the ocean,I really paniced I saw already had visions of my al burned from the sun and dryed out in the middle of the ocean floatin on a dead jetskie ,,luckely I had a lifevest with me ,it was already dark and I sw the pattaya light gettin further and futher away ,so i said to myself fukkit i have to make a swim for it, otherwise im death for sure ,let me tell you ive been swimming for over 15 hours ,I swim all fukkin night ,till a local toerist boat spotted me ,they got me aboard and I was almost death ,after they gave me some cold beer en food I was feeling better again,never again I go alone on sea ,it was a life lesson .

cricky's mate thats a real scary story and im real happy your still with us.

but i got 2 things to say here and dont go getting angry at me ok.

A have you lost your dictionary?

B you got to be carefull about using the F word mate.

look ive been in the bin and some mods are a bit touchy so to speak so take my top advise and say frigging.

cheers mate :o

ok, farangs fault...

we can say the technological advances are greater then the worlds...

hmm...

nevermind, accidents do happen...

why should we morn... coz in the morning we all will be in the sea...

yes or no?reality or not...

I am not heartless... but everyday in this world, accidents, murders do happen...

EVERYDAY, EVERY MINUTE... so come on people...

let's be realistic...

what about Irag, Isreal, Lebanon... now that is tradgedy...

before i came to thailand i had lived in greece for 15 years and not only swimming everyday but working as a sport catermaran instructor, i have had so much expeience with currents that i found the most effective way to deal with it was just tread water or swim side stroke slowly..i always found that after a short while they bring you back onto land again, once while on a solo crossing or at least trying to cross from greece to turkey i capsized in a strong storm and sat ontop of the cat for 6 hours....was a current which saved me and finaly brought me close enough to land that the mast was on the bottom, from there i could put it back on its feet and sleep on the beach for the night, I always trust that they bring me onto land.

cricky's mate thats a real scary story and im real happy your still with us.

but i got 2 things to say here and dont go getting angry at me ok.

A have you lost your dictionary?

B you got to be carefull about using the F word mate.

look ive been in the bin and some mods are a bit touchy so to speak so take my top advise and say frigging.

cheers mate :o

This is off-topic, but necessary I feel.

I guess you must not have read that he was a Dutch-speaker!

You might not know this, but spelling/writing in English is extremely difficult for native speakers, but --understandably-- even more so for non-native speakers-- as it is full of exceptions. I should know. English is my second language and I'm a learning-assistance teacher in Canada.

Even though Dutch is a Germanic language (like most of English), paradoxically it is more difficult to manage English spelling, as the words are so closely related.

Incidentally, I am a French-speaker. 1/2 of English is made up of latin words. It is much easier for speakers of Latin languages because we know how it is spelled in French (or in Italian,...). We only have one set of spelling rules to learn, namely the Anglo-Saxon set, which --by itself-- is fairly logical.

As far as the use of the word "f*cking" is concerned, let me remind people that --like kids-- tourists listening to English native-speakers will pick up the words they hear the most often. :D I think one cannot fault tourists for using it. However, I am with you in that I find its use deplorable. BTW, that word (like "you know",...) is called in linguistics a filler. It is usually used by people who have a limited vocabulary, who have limited abilities to formulate their thoughts, or who are in a hurry or emotional. Or, here, when one is a non-native speaker not aware of all of the ... rules. I don't see any problems mentioning it, but you could have sent a private message to the person, instead, I think.

So, let's be aware that not all people have learned English (as a first language) in this forum. Please let us all continue to show some tact and good judgment for people who so respectfully try to write to us in a language that's not their first language.

Thank you.

Edited by MyPenRye