Marrying in the UK with a tourist visa

josh1990

I have a Thai girlfriend who is staying with me and the family atm on a tourist visa. She returns home in 6 weeks but we would like to marry before that time. Does anybody know the procedure for this? if it is legal to do while just on a tourist visa. I cant seem to find any info on this. Also what sort of cost will I be looking at basically we are literally just wanting a confirmed marriage. Thanks anybody in advance.

I believe you can, as long as she returns to Thailand by the date stamped in her passport.

If she only has 6 weeks left you had better move quickly. You'll need to give notice and then wait for the prescribed time before you can marry. It will probably take at least 3 weeks depending on availabilty at your Registry.

Beg to differ, don't think you can. Visit visa is meant for just that and believe there is another type of visa you must apply for before entering UK (perhaps this one). Visas cannot be changed wile in UK. But even if she goes out, gets that,comes back in and marries, she won't be able to stay beyond 6 months. She'd then have to leave again and apply for spousal visa from Thailand, which is a lot pricier and involved, thanks to Theresa May.

ok thanks. yes i understand she will have to leave and re-apply once in thailand. maybe better i i call the registry office? Is there a different visa she would be able to get so she could work here. its only a 1 year plan until i can return back to thailand with her myself.

Yes you can marry on a visitor visa, though i am not sure when she returns to to Thailand, if she applies fo a settlement visa, you will need to satisfy the ECO, that she did not break visa conditions

(i know things happen on a spur but a holiday visa is just that). if wanting to marry in UK, a fianace visa would be the way to go, but she would have to return to Thailand to apply. There was a very recent case in UK where the border ageny raided a wedding, where an American woman who was getting married to a uk resident, had her passport seized (she was here on a visit visa), though in that case i believe the wedding was organised before she came.(so she broke the condidtions of her visa)

Hi. No this is not a spur we have been together for almost 2 years now and engaged since last February. the tourist visa she is currently on is a visit visa for me and i had to provide all the supporting documents for this. So there is plenty of prof. One problem is on her visa it said she would return after 2 weeks but we changed the flight as I earn a decent income so supporting her has not been a problem. She will not of overstayed her visa just stayed longer than arranged.

Hi. No this is not a spur we have been together for almost 2 years now and engaged since last February. the tourist visa she is currently on is a visit visa for me and i had to provide all the supporting documents for this. So there is plenty of prof. One problem is on her visa it said she would return after 2 weeks but we changed the flight as I earn a decent income so supporting her has not been a problem. She will not of overstayed her visa just stayed longer than arranged.

Plans change. You should be ok when she applies for her next UK visa but it will need to be explained. Good luck with the wedding, if you go ahead.

• Like 1

Don't think you will do your long term prospects any good if you do it. Better to let her go back and then reapply for a fiancée visa, should get it within a couple of months anyway as long as you do the application properly.

Good advice if you plan to live together in the UK.

I believe you are not allowed to work on a fiancee visa(willing to be corrected on this), you say she stated she was coming to the uk for 2 weeks on her application, how long has she been here?, For a registery wedding you will both have to have an interview at the office, if they believe that the wedding is taking place to get round visa rules, they will report this to the border agency, I would say stick to the rules makes life easier, if you are going to get married, either she applies for fianacee visa in Thailand or you marry in Thailand

i should add if coming to uk on fiancee visa, then once in the UK and married you then apply for spouse visa from within Uk, she can then work with that, but the cost of both visa comes to around £1600,

Edited by howerde

I asked her to marry me almost a year ago. Not at all was it for a visa. Sounds like its an expensive going on really. maybe just better to save here for a year or 2. Its made hard for people outside of the EU. It's just she can earn a Thai months wage in a week over here.

A fiance visa is a type of settlement visa which is valid for 6 months (but costs the same as a 33 month spouse visa!). It allows the holder to travel to the UK, marry within the 6 months validity of the visa and then apply to remain in the UK (Further Leave to remain) for a further 30 months. Fiance visa holders cannot work until they have their first FLR. See UK settlement visa basics for more on this.

A marriage visit visa is for those who wish to travel to the UK to marry; but not settle there.

Until recently, people in the UK as a general or family visitor could not marry unless they first obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office; unless marrying in the Church of England. The reasons for changing this are complicated, so I wont go into them, but now anyone who is legally in the UK with any type of visit visa can marry; provided they give the necessary notice to the registrar etc.

Visit visas, regardless of the type, cannot be converted into settlement in the UK. If a visit visa holder wishes to settle in the UK they must return home and apply for settlement there; even if they are now married to a British citizen.

If in the UK with any type of visit visa then all employment, even unpaid voluntary work, is prohibited.

One problem is on her visa it said she would return after 2 weeks but we changed the flight as I earn a decent income so supporting her has not been a problem. She will not of overstayed her visa just stayed longer than arranged.

There is nothing in the immigration rules to say that a visitor cannot stay in the UK for longer than originally stated; as long as they leave the UK when, or before, their visa expires. Peoples plans can and do change.

However, stating in the application that she intended to stay for just 2 weeks and then staying longer (how much longer?) may lead to credibility problems with her next application; especially if she said she had to return to Thailand after 2 weeks for work, study or similar and then stayed in the UK for several months!

So in any future application she should explain why she stayed longer than originally stated and how she was able to do so.

• Like 1