Is it possible to shortcut a room keycard to run aircon 24 hours?

Sandman77

Get a plug adaptor, from Home pro etc and connect it to the fridge plug, you can then recharge your phone when out.

How will that keep the room cool when I run down for breakfast?

Clearly it can't do everything. Is it that much of a hardship to put AC on when you get to the room? Takes 1 minute to cool down

One minute? That has not been my experience.

Book a double and get 2 room keys. A very simple solution. thumbsup.gif

Unless the cleaner goes in there 10 minutes later and turns it off..

That is generally not a problem that affects me too often. Me and the Missus will leave the room and actively seek the cleaning crew and inform them We are going to the Hotel restaurant for breakfast and ask them very politely if they can clean our room. Never encounter a problem when we do that. One will usually come into the room after our request and begin stripping the bed, etc. By the time we are finished eating, we'll go back to the cleaned room to prepare to leave for the day or whatever and slip a room card into the slot for the A/C as we are leaving the already cleaned room. See, easy and problem solved. For every action, there'a a reaction. Two room keys are still my best solution. thumbsup.gif

Edited by SinCityGr8One
  • Like 1

Why not leave the lights or TV on all day, just because you can?

Many do... Also many TOURISTS enjoy returning to a cool room between the beach and the massage table - is this unreasonable when they are enjoying their hard-earned, capital-depleting two week break from the rat-race?

I like to leave the TV on and enough light to show under the door, as a security measure. A room that appears to be occupied is less likely to be robbed.

vtjforyou said:

I pay for this room 24 hours and I use what I want 24h.

I also have no respect for business owners, why should have ?

I wonder if you like staying at some of these places and find being able to stay there convenient for your needs at an acceptable price? With your attitude they are likely to be out of business sooner rather than later because with guests like you operating costs may well rise towards maximum achievable income.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like a programmable 'on timer' so i could set it to come on say 20 mins before my expected return.

For those of you who are troubled by being unable to leave the A/C on all day, if you pay for a 4 or 5* hotel you may well find that you can.

Indeed it will even be switched on for you before you check in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SinCityGr8One said:

we'll go back to the cleaned room to prepare to leave for the day or whatever and slip a room card into the slot for the A/C as we are leaving

For every action, there'a a reaction

Indeed there is. Action: guest pushes operating costs up. Reaction: hotel increases room rates.

That's a lovely attitude of entitlement you have there - I bet you also expect the prices to be the lowest, but would prefer 'free' and business' to cater to your every whim?

Specifically that last sentence of your quote is the relevant portion.

I would generally use a different term than 'entitled' to describe people like you, but I fear the forum rules don't allow me to use it here.

• Like 1

Quite funny that business owners who have large profit anyway (or they would not stay in business) do not appreciate that people use what they pay for !

There is no difference for you if I stay in the room or not, this is not your business, but your business is to supply 24 hours water and electrcity.

And business owners should be nice or soon people will also let the water run 24 hours ! They deserve it ! And then if prices are too expensive we will just move to another place ! EASY !

So, there's two of you whiny, entitled 'people' in this thread. Lovely. And so absolutely weltfremd as well. Oh, and a member since 1/2/2015? Quelle surprise. This wouldn't be a troll account..?

Edited by DaffyDuck

Quite funny that business owners who have large profit anyway (or they would not stay in business) do not appreciate that people use what they pay for !

There is no difference for you if I stay in the room or not, this is not your business, but your business is to supply 24 hours water and electrcity.

And business owners should be nice or soon people will also let the water run 24 hours ! They deserve it ! And then if prices are too expensive we will just move to another place ! EASY !

You get water and electricity while you are present in the room. When you leave, it's turned off.

"And business owners should be nice or soon people will also let the water run 24 hours ! They deserve it ! " Just don't come crying here when you actually get ripped off by a hotelier. You deserve it.

• Like 1

I like to turn the shower on full so when I get back after a full day out, the water is already warmed up.

I've also found leaving the fridge door wide open all day helps keep the kitchenette a little cooler.

Sandyyyyyyyyy...................Allo Allo............Earth to Sandman come in Sandman.

• Like 1

I like to turn the shower on full so when I get back after a full day out, the water is already warmed up.

I've also found leaving the fridge door wide open all day helps keep the kitchenette a little cooler.

Sandyyyyyyyyy...................Allo Allo............Earth to Sandman come in Sandman.

How about soiling the bed every night to get your money's worth out of the cleaners,

vtjforyou said:

I wonder if you like staying at some of these places and find being able to stay there convenient for your needs at an acceptable price? With your attitude they are likely to be out of business sooner rather than later because with guests like you operating costs may well rise towards maximum achievable income.

I would like a programmable 'on timer' so i could set it to come on say 20 mins before my expected return.

For those of you who are troubled by being unable to leave the A/C on all day, if you pay for a 4 or 5* hotel you may well find that you can.

Indeed it will even be switched on for you before you check in.

SinCityGr8One said:

we'll go back to the cleaned room to prepare to leave for the day or whatever and slip a room card into the slot for the A/C as we are leaving

For every action, there'a a reaction

Indeed there is. Action: guest pushes operating costs up. Reaction: hotel increases room rates.

I can afford to absorb the room rate increase. Can You?

How about soiling the bed every night to get your money's worth out of the cleaners,

Aren't sheets considered soiled as soon as you lay on them?

Does the laundry charge extra if you've had sex on the bed?

Again, for people with a modicum of intelligence, this isn't really a problem as the solutions are obvious (get a second key, or plug your devices into the fridge ac outlet). Those whining about entitlements (aside from being obvious trolls with accounts created days earlier) really only paint themselves into a corner as being helpless whiners... ;-)

I had a customer who was a long-tern resident in one of our rooms... functional alcoholic with good job, 20-30 beers a day... used to pee his bed regularly... we just adjusted his room-rate to account for purchasing new mattresses!!

• Like 1

I had a customer who was a long-tern resident in one of our rooms... functional alcoholic with good job, 20-30 beers a day... used to pee his bed regularly... we just adjusted his room-rate to account for purchasing new mattresses!!

So how many mattresses did he buy himself??

So how many mattresses did he buy himself??

Well none really, but over the course of 3ish years we replaced the mattress 5-6 times. Cleaners were taught to use animal urine cleaner/deodorizer/neutralizer once a week!

I would have just got him a plastic sheet.

Sandy always come back, but only when I have time!

If the insulation of the walls would be made with better material a lot of millions could be saved , but no one invest in better wall insulation !

What are the real coasts of energy and running a aircon 24 hours?

Every Area sure is diffrent in phangan and suratani I was all pay 1000 Bhat more for a aircon hotel

Here in Chiang Mai I ask a guesthouse owner how much he pay for a night running aircon he says 100 Baht a massage woman told me here 600 Bhat a month for her shop!

Is the electricity realy that much more expensive in the south of thailand, then here in the north in Chiang Mai?

Someone play here the wrong violins , when we have to pay high room price I not belive hotel owned loose any money also 400 Bhat a day for a small guesthouse room are 700€ a month , for this price I can rent in my home country a beautiful house with 3 or 4 rooms,!

• Like 1

To the hotel owners...

I think its a great way to save on room cost by not having the AC on constantly. However if you're from a cooler climate like I am there really is no chance to adjust to the mind numbing heat of Thailand. Getting back to your room which is your sanctuary from the heat and having it take a full hour to get to a comfortable temperature is very unpleasant. My last trip to thailand I made a very simple purchase that completely changed returning to my room, I bought a fan. A decent functioning in every way it should fan, one I sit very close to my bed to get the full effect of moving air. I also wasnt mounted 1 ft off the ceiling blowing down the hottest air in the room onto my bed like some hotels I stayed at.

1. I've stayed in hotels where the fan was mounted in such a way it could never be adjusted to actually point at the bed.

2. I've stayed at hotels where the wall mounted fan oscillator was stuck on or off.

I would have to think the wall mounted fans are more expensive. Keeping a few of the standard desktop fans at the hotel for customers to use would be a very nice option with minimal additional expense.

More important than the AC is the refrigerator. Having the AC turn makes it impossible to keep food and liquids take even longer than the room to cool down.