'New Year celebration' bullet nearly hit two-year-old Thai girl

webfact

But it was fired from an Eastern direction smile.png You can't make this sh_it up...

Well,, I guess you COULD make it up,,, but it's not really rocket science to figure out a general direction of where it came from,,, It obviously didn't come STRAIGHT down,,, so if the hole in the roof was say,, the center of a compass,, and it impacted a table, the floor, ect,, to the West of the hole in the roof,, (or NW, or SW, etc, etc,,) I'd say Ya,,, you could reasonably determine at least a general direction of where it came from by the angle from the hole in the roof, and the impact point,,

Errr, I think it would come straight down unless it had been fired directly at the house from a very high vantage point.

But I could be making that up too smile.png

Ah, the good old "Roadrunner" school of physics' first law: "Any object will continue travelling through the air in a perfectly straight line until it realises just where it is, and will then plummet to the ground vertically". All that calculus taught in schools is a total waste of time! (And looks to have been for many people). Or maybe the child was the one who fired the bullet, from her "my little cowboy pony matching gun and spurs set", and it indeed travelled straight up and then straight back down, re-enetring the roof through the same hole it made exiting it?

Like I said, I could be making that up too... Sarcasm is lost in this forum on a regular basis..

My point was, average Somchai copper, wouldn't really have a clue where the bullet was fired from unless he is the same genius that does DNA tests in 37 minutes :)

Might be some sarcasm in this post too ?

At my wife's uncles funeral a couple of years ago his mates in the village "home guard" (you know, the guys in khaki uniforms who put up those breeze block bunkers at the entrance to villages) fired a sort of salute as the cremation started. One fished out an old Colt.45 automatic and started blatting away at the sky. When it stopped firing, either because the magazine was empty or it had a stoppage,( he didn't bother to look to see which), he just stuffed it back in the waistband of his trousers! If it had gone off it would have made his eyes water!

Another, armed with an old M16 which didn't appear to have been cleaned since the fall of Saigon, let of a couple of rounds before it jammed. He then proceeded to wave it around horizontally whilst he tried to clear the stoppage. All this in the middle of a crowded crematorium.

I do wonder how many of these.characters either shoot themselves or innocent bystanders during these celebrations.

...................."I do wonder how many of these.characters either shoot themselves or innocent bystanders during these celebrations."......................

Pity help the poor innocent bystanders, but as far as these crazy, unthinking, stupid and careless shooters go they don't shoot enough of "themselves" as far as I am concerned. thumbsup.gif

(I fired a M16 at the Cu Chi tunnels rifle range in Vietnam years ago, I don't think it had been cleaned for that long either)

Like I said, I could be making that up too... Sarcasm is lost in this forum on a regular basis..

My point was, average Somchai copper, wouldn't really have a clue where the bullet was fired from unless he is the same genius that does DNA tests in 37 minutes xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN5Zxnsx

Not necessarily, Officer Somchai may know of a fruitloop shooter who lived in that direction and just made a calculated guess ! whistling.gif

• Like 1

But it was fired from an Eastern direction smile.png You can't make this sh_it up...

Well,, I guess you COULD make it up,,, but it's not really rocket science to figure out a general direction of where it came from,,, It obviously didn't come STRAIGHT down,,, so if the hole in the roof was say,, the center of a compass,, and it impacted a table, the floor, ect,, to the West of the hole in the roof,, (or NW, or SW, etc, etc,,) I'd say Ya,,, you could reasonably determine at least a general direction of where it came from by the angle from the hole in the roof, and the impact point,,

Errr, I think it would come straight down unless it had been fired directly at the house from a very high vantage point.

But I could be making that up too smile.png

You must be making it up as you go along,,, coming exactly STRAIGHT down,, would mean the shooter was standing in the home, shooting STRAIGHT up through the roof wouldn't it?,,, (virtually impossible even in a perfect setting,,) Maybe you're confused as to the deffinition of, "straight",,,,,, WHY would you argue something you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about, and has happened before, and the angle/trajectory was used to find/charge the actual shooter?,,,, do you post,, just to be posting SOMETHING,,, ANYTHING at all? How do you think forensic scientists testify in courts on a DAILY basis, as to where a shooter was standing, about how tall they are, were they above them, or below them, to the left, or right of them ?,,, or in this case, the general direction it was fired from,,, it's called, "trajectory",, I'd supply the "Wki" link,,, but hoping maybe you looking it up,, might occupy you,,, wink.png,,,,,, Besides the fact,, IF we were living in anything other than a 3rd World country,,, forensics would run ballistics on this slug, and see if it matched another slug, recovered from another crime, maybe even an unsolved murder,,, THAT would at least tell them the general area, of a gun used in another crime wouldn't it?,, THAT would narrow an area from the entire city of Bangkok, to a pretty specific area don't you think?... But I digress,,, I forgot we are discussing the RTP here,,, sorry,,,

Edited by Adeeos

My point was, average Somchai copper, wouldn't really have a clue where the bullet was fired from unless he is the same genius that does DNA tests in 37 minutes xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN5Zxnsx

Not necessarily, Officer Somchai may know of a fruitloop shooter who lived in that direction and just made a calculated guess ! whistling.gif

More likely, Officer Somchai fired the shot himself.

• Like 1

A bullet coming down might leave a mark if it hit someone but I doubt it would hurt.

Still silly thing to do.

Your ignorance of ballistics is quite common, a projectile shot straight into the air ,almost impossible for a human to do reaches it max hight and then begins to tumble to earth at around 300 feet per second enough velocity to penetrate a skull. how ever a projectile shot at a slight angle will maintain its velocity until it hits the ground. Research is easy these days with google and other search engines, maybe a good idea to practice it before making uninformed comment.

Check the deaths in the U.S.A and the middle east from celebratory shooting into the air

• Like 1

A bullet coming down might leave a mark if it hit someone but I doubt it would hurt.

Still silly thing to do.

It put a hole through the roof so I would suspect it would hurt.

After ging through the roof not much speed left ,

Still I don't like any body being hit by a bullet

Still silly thing to do.

Your ignorance of ballistics is quite common, a projectile shot straight into the air ,almost impossible for a human to do reaches it max hight and then begins to tumble to earth at around 300 feet per second enough velocity to penetrate a skull. how ever a projectile shot at a slight angle will maintain its velocity until it hits the ground. Research is easy these days with google and other search engines, maybe a good idea to practice it before making uninformed comment.

Check the deaths in the U.S.A and the middle east from celebratory shooting into the air

My ignorance maybe quite common, yours on the other hand is quite amazing.

Pray do tell that if a bullet maintains its velocity until it hits the ground, how will it ever hit the ground ?

There was a story today in the Thai Daily News of a 19 year-old student hit by a bullet fired up in the air during New Year's celebrations in Chiang Mai last night.
At around midnight she heard some gunshots and a short while later something came through the roof, grazing her head and hitting her in the leg. She didn't realise it was a bullet until the next day when she was sweeping the floor and found it there.

A1FN4Zi.jpg
77gc85R.jpg

There was a story today in the Thai Daily News of a 19 year-old student hit by a bullet fired up in the air during New Year's celebrations in Chiang Mai last night.

At around midnight she heard some gunshots and a short while later something came through the roof, grazing her head and hitting her in the leg. She didn't realise it was a bullet until the next day when she was sweeping the floor and found it there.

A1FN4Zi.jpg

77gc85R.jpg

Imagine what could have happened if someone's head was between her thighs at the time. Not a 2yo's head, I'm not going there.

Still silly thing to do.

I'd think it would smart quite a bit. The missile of choice at Football matches in the 70s and 80s was a 2p coin, Get one of those in the back of the head and you knew all about it