dick turpin

latest from a reliable UK aviation source:

BANGKOK AIRPORT'S saga continues and travellers to and from Thailand

should be aware that things might change over the next few weeks. The

current position is that restricted domestic flights should start from

the new Suvarnabhumi airport on Thursday 28 September with the

existing Don Muang closing down two weeks later when international

services move. Charter, VIP, private and military flights will

continue for the time being at Don Muang.

Any truth in this assertion in a letter to the Bangkok Post on 15th August?.....

No taxis at new airport

According to the Airports of Thailand Plc, there will be no taxis at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport. Passengers upon arrival (with their luggage) must take a shuttle bus some 3km to the public taxi stand next to the public bus station. What a welcome to Thailand!

Nothing on their website about it, but it isn't something they would advertise, is it.

Actually this is good thinking. It would give the new airport experience before trying to manage the big international flights. All new airports have kinks and snags and a two week period of unkinking and unsnagging using domestic flights is a smart move.

The Denver airport was "fully prepared" when it opened yet the baggage system, a great technical wonder, took months or work out the kinks much to the annoyance of passengers.

And....This is Thailand - How many things work efficiently here? It's going to take a long time for the new airport to become the glow of Thai aviation. There will be problems anyway, even unanticipated ones no matter how many dry-runs the place gets.

I worked at JFK airport for 3 years in the early 70's. That airport tested itself to no end yet when the first flight unloaded the jetway got stuck and the doors to the gate area would not open. After 90 more days the place worked fine.

SIN, KLI & HKG had opening difficulties as well, they eventually got solved through experience. When Disney Land opened long ago practically nothing worked - now the place runs like glass.

How many of us work efficiently on the first week of a new job? Not I.

Any truth in this assertion in a letter to the Bangkok Post on 15th August?.....

No taxis at new airport

According to the Airports of Thailand Plc, there will be no taxis at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport. Passengers upon arrival (with their luggage) must take a shuttle bus some 3km to the public taxi stand next to the public bus station. What a welcome to Thailand!

Nothing on their website about it, but it isn't something they would advertise, is it.

Okay, I see there's another thread on this...........

I'm heading back to LOS mid October and at the moment wouldn't like to bet the mortgage on which airport I'll land at.

Does anyone know the best/quickest way to get to Bangkok from the new airport, how long it will take and likely cost?

Did someone say disabled? hey whats that mean by the sounds of it the airport designers didnt know either from what i hear, there are no disabled facilites and its not really disabled friendly, can anyone confirm this?