Internet companies may censor content in Thailand without approval

Jonathan Fairfield

Internet companies may censor content in Thailand without approval

702x336xThailand-Internet-Censorship-702

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in Thailand now have the power to remove and censor online content without requiring approval from the authorities. In Thailand this applies to local Internet providers such as True, TOT, and 3BB.

• Like 1

Remember all these programmes are written by humans., So along comes another team of human beings who write and distribute their programme that neutralizes and, or bypasses the blocking programme

Computers we regard with awe, but human beings are able to think unlike computer who need human input to work,

As the song goes,

''We Shall Overcome.

• Like 2

The ONLY way to keep total control of any population is to make sure they do not ever gain knowledge. Censoring is one such way of a fearful government or power to keep total control. FEAR usually works for a while but in the end it fails. It fails in economic and other ways. At present there seems to be one face stating FOREIGNERS want to come and INVEST in Thailand and on the ground, the actions are those of total determent - making it so HARD and difficult to actually do anything.

This will fail as people leave. maybe not a lot of posters here but business and bigger money interests who will just get fed up and go to where the levels are more even to play.

• Like 2

Clicking to read the full story and reading up on how google refused to take down content because of freedom of speech butthurts outside the country...wish the comment section there would be more flourishing to feed my entertainment.

• Like 1

<deleted>

wai2.gif

Yeah, for a day or two until the junta find out who's using proxies and e voila, the bloody 404 Error comes up.

BTW I've read that China has even been clamping down on gmail. I've had problems accessing this email a/c (along with other sites not at all connected to/referencing Thailand), and switched my browser from Google.

<deleted.

wai2.gif

I would not recommend using free proxy services for any of your private browsing such as email and other password protected accounts.

Totally agree. Better to use one of the many reasonably priced VPN services available.

• Like 1

I don't think the companies will do a lot of self-censoring, because they'll be afraid to loose customers.

And anyway, most problematic information can be found on social networks - not normal websites.

So, there's only 1 way - block facebook.

I would be in favor of blocking facebook - it would be a good lesson for all the dictator lovers.

• Like 1

The ONLY way to keep total control of any population is to make sure they do not ever gain knowledge. Censoring is one such way of a fearful government or power to keep total control. FEAR usually works for a while but in the end it fails. It fails in economic and other ways. At present there seems to be one face stating FOREIGNERS want to come and INVEST in Thailand and on the ground, the actions are those of total determent - making it so HARD and difficult to actually do anything.

This will fail as people leave. maybe not a lot of posters here but business and bigger money interests who will just get fed up and go to where the levels are more even to play.

So are you saying that the Internet Service Providers are striving for total control of the population ?

And good luck to the businesses who pack up and leave Thailand in search of greener pastures. Ask people who have done business in places like China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia etc. what obstacles they came across. Ask them how level was the playing field. whistling.gif

• Like 1

So are you saying that the Internet Service Providers are striving for total control of the population ?

And good luck to the businesses who pack up and leave Thailand in search of greener pastures. Ask people who have done business in places like China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia etc. what obstacles they came across. Ask them how level was the playing field. whistling.gif

It's DEAD here on Phuket and reports suggest the rest of the country has in the morgue. Upside is overbuilding's come to a halt and nature is been given a chance to replenish itself. So hoping 'people doing business' ergo, wrecking these countries' natural resources in search of the dwindling buck, are likewise sytmied. And they say the downturn in tourism's a bad thing. And pleeze, no posters with the 'but but how will they feed their families? faux handwringing). Same as they did before's my best guest.

Edited by jpeg

I don't think the companies will do a lot of self-censoring, because they'll be afraid to loose customers.

And anyway, most problematic information can be found on social networks - not normal websites.

I would be in favor of blocking facebook - it would be a good lesson for all the dictator lovers.

If you can arrange it, please do. Life will be hard, but I'm sure that I will manage to survive, somehow.

• Like 1

If you can arrange it, please do. Life will be hard, but I'm sure that I will manage to survive, somehow.

Go ahead, shut down Facebook, and every other "social media" website on the planet. For me it will be like martial law, won't even know it is happening. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Go ahead, shut down Facebook, and every other "social media" website on the planet. For me it will be like martial law, won't even know it is happening. clap2.gif

They can Shut down the entire network of Thailand, if they want the entire nation, especially social media to go paranoia and have mental nervous breakdown diseases,... go ahead

welcome to the year of 2015 aka return of little China-North-Korea

• Like 1

I wouldn't miss facebook either, but in May they accidentally shut down facebook for 10 minutes and people were angry for 2 weeks.

Since, 99.9 % of all problematic content comes from Facebook and Line, mainly posted by Thai political refugees and other fools,

I suggest they just shut it down Facebook and LINE right now.
It would be a nice to see how much Thai people love their Dear Leader and how much happiness he can return to them by doing so.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Democracy needs a variety of media and differing viewpoints,
so that each can form his own opinion.
New thoughts and new findings means that a country is experiencing progress.

If opinions and other views are suppressed, the country will at best experience a stop in development,
while other countries with a great diversity of opinion and cognition will pass by.

Who and what decides they are not gaining knowledge, and what knowledge?

Hard on time for Jenny Agutter again??

Time.com published a stinging article yesterday on the draconian laws in Thailand. Certainly feels like the country is going backwards with the increased control of the internet, media, and populace themselves.