90 Day Reporting at 7/11?

Phrafarang

City Life Magazine. A reliable source of information? Probably a throw away comment in private by the I.O. in respect of all thethings that can be completed at 7/11 nowadays. What would make more sense is to do away with the the ninety day reporting altogether.

• Like 2

Actually, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. We already pay water bills, top up our phones and do other commercial tasks at 7/11. Why not 90 day reporting? 7/11 seems perfectly happy to do these transactions for a 10 baht fee and I think most of us wouldn't mind paying them 10 baht to file a 90 day report.

• Like 1

Really possible now seeing as there are no forms to be filled out. Your next appointment paper has a bar code that is simply swiped and hey presto...all details come up with date of next showing and away you go.

What barcode? My 90 day report 2 weeks ago didn't come back with a bar code. Had to fill in a form & send photocopies of stuff. Guess you're not in CM?

Actually, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. We already pay water bills, top up our phones and do other commercial tasks at 7/11. Why not 90 day reporting? 7/11 seems perfectly happy to do these transactions for a 10 baht fee and I think most of us wouldn't mind paying them 10 baht to file a 90 day report.

Yeah. and they could just have simple webcams installed at the counter to take a photo. I imagine immigration would want to verify more than just a bar code. At the end of the month, immigration could sort through the reportings and do their quality control work.

though the current system is slow and adds a lot of extra work on the immigration staff it would be a mess to ever let non government officials handle anyone's passport. I wouldn't trust an uneducated staff of 7-11 to do anything that could result in fines.

If you think that paying an electric bill or a credit card bill is on the same level as handing your passport and a 90 day report, then the discussion is pretty much over. You really don't grasp how intricate the bureacratic system is for immigration. Do you really think that giving access to a secure government network is as simple as a banking system? Do your realize how vulnerable the system would be?

Not even close to a comparison.

Personally, I don't understand why every foreigner here complains about the 90 day reporting. It might be a slight nuisance but with the mail in service, you don't even need to leave the house.

I still think that anyone on a year extension should have an alien registration card as ID like most other countries and that would reduce the need for all the other follow up paperwork.

• Like 2

CM Expats Club finally received approval from CM Immigration to put the video of the 22 October CEC meeting on our website. That's the source of the quote that caused that headline. It wasn't the head of Immigration who said those words, but one of his staff members, who is working on a feasibility study of reporting at 7/11 for his PhD thesis.

There is a minor edit needed to the video, but we hope to have it on the CEC website in a week or two. The part about 90 day reporting at the 7/11 isn't involved in the edit. Actually, we just have to change some subtitles and captions -- no words are going to be changed in the editing. So, you'll be able to see for yourself that the head of Immigration didn't promise 7/11 reporting.

Meanwhile, the most viable option for streamlining the 90 day reporting process is to report by mail. This was strongly encouraged at the 22 October meeting and recent reports have been very positive. Tywais provides an excellent post with details at the top of this forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/

Absolutely excellent Nancy. Many thanks to you and those who helped but this together. Perhaps we can get it pinned?