Fake bomb found in heart of Chiang Mai

Lite Beer

Fake bomb found in heart of Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- Third Army Area Commander Lt Gen Sathit Pittharat said what appeared to be a bomb left on a roadside in front of the French consular office in Chiang Mai's Muang district turned out to be a fake bomb.

Sathit said the device did not have any explosive inside and the incident might be motivated by personal conflict. He said authorities were checking feeds from security cameras in the area to try to locate the one who left it there.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Fake-bomb-found-in-heart-of-Chiang-Mai-30251097.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-02

Hunt goes on for fake bomb planter in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A fake bomb planted near the French consular office in Chiang Mai yesterday prompted security authorities to hunt down the ill-intention people who they said intended to destroy the happiness of people celebrating the New Year festival.

They are now looking into all surveillance cameras in the area and vicinities to trail the perpetrator after the bomb was destroyed by high-power water gun and later proved to be fake.

Third Army Area Commander Lt Gen Sathit Pittharat said a home-made bomb left on a roadside in front of the French consular office in Chiang Mai’s Muang district turned out to be a fake bomb.

The commander said the device did not have any explosive inside and was optimistic that the incident might be motivated by personal conflict.

Authorities were checking all video footages from security cameras in the area to try to locate the person who left it there.

The bomb was first spotted at 9 am by passersby on Charoen Prathet road about 500 metres from the French consular office.

The road was later sealed off for safety reasons.

Police first suspected youngsters wanting to spoil the New Year celebrations in Chiang Mai were behind the fake bomb.

They could drop it after seeing a makeshift police checkpoint in the area, he added.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) officials used a high-pressure water gun to destroy it.

The object was an iron rod wrapped with electric wires without gunpowder to make it explode, EOD police said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hunt-goes-fake-bomb-planter-chiang-mai

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-02

According to Thailand's #1 English language newspaper, it was an iron bar [rebar?] fastened to a small circuit board with tape.

It was found on the pavement in front of the Ananthana Hotel on Charoen Prathet.

Yeah, except I'm relatively certain it's the Anantara Hotel on Charoen Prathet. rolleyes.gif

(And yes, I know it was the newspaper that made the error.)

Would be good to see a photo....sounds more like some kit for electric fishing than a bomb. Would need to be a serious bit of ordinance to damage the French Embassy from half a kilometer. I thought fake bombs were cardboard boxes, all strapped up in gaffer tape, making a ticking sound...or round black objects with a sparkler sticking out of the top???

Would be good to see a photo....sounds more like some kit for electric fishing than a bomb. Would need to be a serious bit of ordinance to damage the French Embassy from half a kilometer. I thought fake bombs were cardboard boxes, all strapped up in gaffer tape, making a ticking sound...or round black objects with a sparkler sticking out of the top???

Glad you made that point. I suppose it's much more 'dramatic' to refer to a fake bomb than to 'a suspicious object.' Shows they are on their toes and also can be put in the locker for later to justify continuation of martial law.

I've turned into such a cynic recently!thumbsup.gif