Buying and owning classic cars in Thailand

Time for the two guys involved in the handbag fight to chill out and stick to the topic. You are both becoming a pain to moderators and people trying to discuss the actual topic. This is your last warning.

*Most of the posts from this battle was thrown in the trash.

Ermm so where's the post I posted related to the topic regarding my 67 classic Yota crown?? There is really only one guy involved BTW. I bowed out several posts ago.

id love to get a BMW 2002.. Toying with that idea.

Few about. No idea about spares availability though

lovely little 1602 on one2car. not cheap though

http://www.one2car.com/BMW_Classic-Car/I23140197.

Maybe price = Condition ?

http://www.olx.co.th/product-102016115

http://www.olx.co.th/product-103022208

and whatever this is http://www.olx.co.th/product-102928396

That little BMW convertible is a sweet looking little conversion, they did a nice job on it, looks like that Yota engine came with it as OEM, even got the air intake where it looks factory though I'd have run it forward instead of in the fender where all the dirt and water gets thrown up into the filter from the tires, that price is not bad either..It seems it may be titled for the engines year though, I seriously doubt that chassis is an '81'? Would like to see one picture with the top up though to see how it actually fits.

I am found of '70 and '80 Benz and i think TH is a good country to buy one.

The main problem on these cars is the rust and it doesn't exist in Thailand. They also seem to be very well looked after.

I am in the process of buying a w201, aka 190,the baby Benz manufactured between 1982 and 1993.

I went to see about 10 in BKK and was very surprised with the overall condition and especially the body condition! No rust at all, no dents or scratches.

Often resprayed too...

In Europe those cars are disregarded and very often very dead bodywise. I think the Benz prestige is very strong here and that is why the old Benz are still good,

Everyday i look on OLX and about 30 percent of the old benz are fitted with 1JZ Toyota engines, the Stuttgart engines are not know to be the weak part of the car...

I know they like to have them run on LPG but apart from that does anyone has an idea why this swap is so popular in TH?

The 1JZ is powerful totaly reliable & the parts aren't expensive or difficult to get. I drive a 92 190E all bender on benzine. 1.8 litre 4 speed I bought it in a neglected state.

The oil was tar. Zero maintanence for years. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires,(it should not have run at all on these) injectors, Idle stabilizer, Vacume leaks required parts

2 oil changes (with flush )in the first 200 kilometers & again 4000 later. Improved performance,

Gas mileage etc. New rear muffler ah Mercedes style quiet. Rides nice the handling amazes me. Parts are a little pricey unless you have a "Good mechanic". They are not hard to find

but should know these cars. Easier to find Toyota mechanics... ... ... Would I buy another one if this one walked away??? Without hesitation... ... ... The most hastle with these cars is with

old rotted or mice eaten wiring. Hastle cause its on again off again, and can take a lot of time searching the fault(s).

There doesnt seem to be any shortage of these to choose from, & I believe they are safer than most alternatives. I couldn't afford to drive an old Bender in Canada due to the cost of repairs

Here the parts prices are made up for the reasonable cost of labour.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hello again.

I just bought a '93 Mercedes 190E 1,8L.

108 000 Kms on the clock. 4 gears. Very nice condition. MB Tex leatherette.

Everything works appart from the windscreen washer and two switch lights.

The good surprise is that the 4 gear gearbox is not a problem, the gears are very long and it is very pleasant to drive.

I am doing the basic maintenance, did the engine oil and oil filter so far...

Need to buy some Mann or Bosch filters, this is where i need your help...

Is there an online shop based in TH selling those parts, something similar to Mister Auto in the UK?

Looking forward to reading your comments...

I am found of '70 and '80 Benz and i think TH is a good country to buy one.

The main problem on these cars is the rust and it doesn't exist in Thailand. They also seem to be very well looked after.

I am in the process of buying a w201, aka 190,the baby Benz manufactured between 1982 and 1993.

I went to see about 10 in BKK and was very surprised with the overall condition and especially the body condition! No rust at all, no dents or scratches.

Often resprayed too...

In Europe those cars are disregarded and very often very dead bodywise. I think the Benz prestige is very strong here and that is why the old Benz are still good,

Everyday i look on OLX and about 30 percent of the old benz are fitted with 1JZ Toyota engines, the Stuttgart engines are not know to be the weak part of the car...

I know they like to have them run on LPG but apart from that does anyone has an idea why this swap is so popular in TH?

Because Thais don't believe in servicing their cars.

Another very common practice is screwing about with the wiring. ie, don't try checking for the main problem, just run extra wire or wires until it all works again. Fit extra electrical goodies and don't use relays, just wire in the switch so it can get nice and hot etc. And never check to make sure the new wires are up to the task.

It's only when you strip back for a total rebuild you find live wires, bare ended,

flopping about behind the dashboard looking for somewhere to short out on.

Bad corrosion can be really well hidden, dont be scared to use a screw driver for a real hard dig at things and dont be surprised when the well underseal coated panel lets the screwdriver and half your arm go through.

Get a good estimate for all repairs, double it and add 10% and you're getting close to cost.

But, when it's finished properly it's a good feeling.

• 2 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2558 at 6:06 PM, Naam said:

i run my soon 45 year old E-Type in broad daylight and people, including policemen, give me approving looks.

driving another 23 year old car a few years ago and high speeding on Sukhumvit (Pattaya) on a sunday morning i was stopped and had a 1k Baht note ready with my license. two boys in brown approached me and i was fingering for a second note but then they were happy after asking me to open the hood, asking questions about the engine and were surprised when they counted 12 cylinders. i was then released with a polite "thank you Papa, have good day Papa."

My friend gets nothing but a happy wave from the Bib in his 1956/7 red Chevy pickup  and his 84 red 427 Corvette

Edited by AsiaHand
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 6:49 PM, AsiaHand said:

My friend gets nothing but a happy wave from the Bib in his 1956/7 red Chevy pickup  and his 84 red 427 Corvette

Dean does have some nice rides.