Getting Non B in Cambodia, need a background check ASAP!

Hello everyone,

I'm here in Cambodia and was told by the agency I used to get my non B that I have everything I need except a background check. They told me to do this at the American embassy, my home country, and would he able to process withing an hour.

The guy is jot convincing and wanted to confirm that this is possible, as I sit here on a sat waiting until Monday to try. Not sure if I need to be trying another options.

I know PP can be difficult getting a non B, but all I need is this on item. Can the US embassy knock this out for me Monday morning no problem? Their website doesn't mention this particular service and need to get some answers before Monday...you all seem to know better than I :)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You will not get a back ground check at the embassy in any amount of time. They do not do them.

You would have to apply for it through the FBI.

This is first time I have heard of a nearby embassy or consulate wanting a background check for a non-b.

I just did a non-B in Cambodia.

No background check is required by the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh unless this is a rule they just added in the last 3 weeks. I would find a new agent or head down the embassy and submit the paperwork yourself.

As was previously said, a background check from the US is done by the FBI. You can get fingerprint cards at the US Embassy. You then need to take these to a Cambodian police station where they will fingerprint you and transfer the prints onto the card. Then you will need to mail the finger print cards off to the FBI in Washington. You will need to give an address on the form where they can mail the results back. When I did this process it took 9 weeks for me to receive my official certificate from the FBI, and that was after I sent the cards EMS to try and speed up the process.

If they are seriously asking for this something is very wrong. Go to the Thai embassy and apply yourself. If they still ask for this, catch a flight to Laos.

Wow geodesic, ok very interesting you were able to get own your own without being asked for a background check. I went ahead and got my money back from the agency, and I guess I will try on my own tomorrow.

Geodesic, is that correct, you didn't use an agency but went on your own?? If not, is there an agency you would recommend?

I'll que up and see what they say about my paperwork, but just don't want to have to wait four days at this point. But even worse, I hate to have to fly to laos to sart from scratch and pay for a Laos visa, etc.

What a pain, and just so confused since the agency I used looked through my papers and said, yah, no problem!!

Thanks for the feedback guys, this helps...but this situation looks grim here in Cambodia. Is be shocked if I had better luck there myself at the embassy rather than using a local service.

Is it worth trying another service?

Ugh, I'm so lost as what to do...le sigh.

Thanks,

Brian

That's a really good point, and mine is for teaching, so maybe that's it.

Geodeic, did you get for teaching?

So if I head to Loas I won't need a background check?

Thai embassy's are so....(too many words to describe at this point)

Thanks for the advice.

I'll que up and see what they say about my paperwork, but just don't want to have to wait four days at this point. But even worse, I hate to have to fly to laos to sart from scratch and pay for a Laos visa, etc.

Laos visa is $30 or 35 depending on nationalities. To be honest with you, if that is such a large setback, perhaps you have to evaluate again the entire idea of a relocation and work in a foreign country.

Paz, the flight to Laos isn't free. The entry visa is just one additional thing I have to pay, especially since I made the trip to Cambodia, paid for my stay here and would now have to try in another country. It all adds up my friend.

I think you just misunderstood, but thanks for the contribution, it was massively helpful. Glad there are such helpful people like you on the this forum :)

Peace and love,

Brian

• Like 1

Paz, the flight to Laos isn't free. The entry visa is just one additional thing I have to pay, especially since I made the trip to Cambodia, paid for my stay here and would now have to try in another country. It all adds up my friend.

I think you just misunderstood, but thanks for the contribution, it was massively helpful. Glad there are such helpful people like you on the this forum smile.png

No problem, let me add for completeness, if on a budget can also travel by land from Cambodia to Laos (Savannakhet is closer), and the situation would have been avoided having chosen that destination is first place, according to the good advice from this forum.

Since I was already in Cambodia for holiday, it was the most cost effective option. So thanks for the suggestion, but that's not how things worked out.

Just looking for constructive advice for the "current " situation! The shoulda, woulda, couldas are a little exhausted at this point.

Against, thanks buddy.

Brian

Laos visa is $30 or 35 depending on nationalities. To be honest with you, if that is such a large setback, perhaps you have to evaluate again the entire idea of a relocation and work in a foreign country.

I have a certain understanding for the OP as the mentioned 30$ unfortunately does not include a return flight to Vientiane. So maybe you may reconsider if your comment is appropriate.....

I have a certain understanding for the OP as the mentioned 30$ unfortunately does not include a return flight to Vientiane. So maybe you may reconsider if your comment is appropriate.....

Not sure why you say the OP should return to Cambodia after getting a visa in Laos, but I've considered already my comment, the gist of which is "when one travels things like that happen and are no big deal", remains, if you allow me. Thanks.