Shipment options to send an iPhone 6 back to USA

tropo

I bought a new iPhone 6 from the US (a friend brought it over) last September. Over the next few weeks it developed multiple problems. It needs either repair or replacement (more likely replacement) but the warranty is only valid in the US so I have to send it back to Apple in the US.

What are my shipping options to get it back safely? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I think DHL is a better option than EMS. Very reliable.

By the way, maybe next time just be more patient and wait until it is available here in TH. Safes you allot of hassle if something is wrong with it.

Couldn't wait. I had to buy an iPhone 6 before they were available in Thailand as we were heading on a vacation to the Philippines and my wife wanted to give her sister her iPhone 5 and she needs her own phone.

Her iPhone 5 (her first iPhone) was so reliable for 2 years we took the chance there wouldn't be any warranty issues.

Oh, for the benefit of hindsight....

I checked the DHL site for a quote. How do you declare a used phone going back for repairs?

"iPhone 6 defective" That's it.

Additional you can purchase DHL Express service and Insurance.

Thanks. I've been checking online the prices for FedEx and DHL. Both come to about somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 depending on the speed.

Do you know if there are any add-ons to the online prices, besides the 7% VAT?

I sent one via EMS Tracking to Chicago about $20usd...

The hard part will be getting it sent back here without a HUGE customs bill!!!

Yes, that's the part which worries me. It's likely to be a new phone too. Any suggestions on return postage to avoid a huge customs bill.

How long did it take for your phone to reach Chicago by EMS?

I sent one via EMS Tracking to Chicago about $20usd...

The hard part will be getting it sent back here without a HUGE customs bill!!!

Yes, that's the part which worries me. It's likely to be a new phone too. Any suggestions on return postage to avoid a huge customs bill.

How long did it take for your phone to reach Chicago by EMS?

The post office sells a nice little box for about 20 baht... And it only took a week... And EMS tracking all the way... As for getting it back here without a huge customs hit is a crapshoot...

Did you try the option to purchase their international warranty. Apple care can be purchased until the original warranty expired. Not sure if this is as well for phones but might be worth trying.

Didn't know about it... will look into it.

Did you try the option to purchase their international warranty. Apple care can be purchased until the original warranty expired. Not sure if this is as well for phones but might be worth trying.

Didn't know about it... will look into it.

Applecare on an iPhone bought in the USA is international as far as the phone tech support is concerned. It is not valid as far as repair or replacement goes outside the USA.

The iPhones are very country specific and repairs can only be made according to the region attached to a particular phone. I once asked Apple if I bought a phone in Australia would i have repair coverage here in Thailand. The answer was no. The advice given to me was find out prior to purchase where the phone can be repaired.

I'm wondering if Apple will even ship the phone back to Thailand. I think I'd call them before I mailed it to them to confirm that.

Good luck and please post the final results of your matter.

• 1 month later...

Tropo can you post the outcome of your matter regarding your phone for the rest of us? Thanks.

Sure! As it happens I've extended my vacation and I'm still in the Philippines, so I will be sending it back to the USA from here. My only option is DHL from the area I'm located at.

Hopefully Apple US will replace it. A friend is bringing it back to Thailand for me, so I won't have to worry about return shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested to know how you go. When I sent a computer back to USA via FedEx, it was held in US customs until all required radio technical parts data safety sheets were included by courier. The courier never mentioned it in Thailand, but eventually sorted it out by email for me.

Another hiccup... DHL in Philippines won't send iPhones to the USA with batteries. Go figure. Who takes batteries out of iPhones to ship them? LBC won't do it either... so I'll have to wait until I get back to Thailand and try DHL or FedEx there.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be interested to know how you go. When I sent a computer back to USA via FedEx, it was held in US customs until all required radio technical parts data safety sheets were included by courier. The courier never mentioned it in Thailand, but eventually sorted it out by email for me.

I don't question the veracity of your post in the least. I do however find it incredible. I'd imagine the only way to deal with that situation would be to email ALL the technical data to whatever address you needed to send it and cross your fingers.

Good thing it got sorted out. Nice ending.

I ended up sending the iPhone 6 back to the US with DHL Thailand. I declared full new value in Thailand (just over 30K) and the total cost was just over 2,600 baht including insurance. Without insurance the cost was just over 1900. There were no problems with customs at the US end - it was delivered to the US address in 3 working days.

Apple US have replaced the phone with a new one and my friend will bring it back with him later this week.

Edited by tropo