Phuket Too Dangerous?

NCC1701A

I take it that was a piss take , fair play

They have never been to Thailand before and felt a bit guilty about putting them on a plane at BKK and sending them to Phuket on their own. I cant stand the place to be honest and neither me or my wife or my kids wanted to go. So I changed it so Ko Chang so we could all go together.

So you needed to come to the Phuket forum to let us that live here know they aren't coming?

What a pity. Island will surely suffer.

I cancelled a stay there for my Sister and her Husband as I was going to send them their for a week when they come over in April, They are both in their fifties and he likes a light Ale or 12. I didn't want to go there with my missus and kids because I don't like the place anymore and thought they may be a tad vulnerable on their own , so we are going with them to Ko Chang instead for a few days

Good move! People over 50, particularly those who like a drink, are very vulnerable on Phuket!

Even though approximately 3 million tourists visit the Island every year, virtually none are over 50 as you need your full faculties to survive a visit to Phuket.

There are even potholes, sand and water here!

"Even though approximately 3 million tourists visit the Island every year," - yes, with the majoruty of them being transported around on coach buses now, not riding rented motorbikes. smile.png

"There are even potholes, sand and water here!" - yes, and here is a picture of just one of them. It recently claimed a young girls life. Well, it was called a "sinkhole" actually.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Sinkhole-forces-Phuket-villagers-take-prison-detour/39480#ad-image-0

Did you know Phuket even has sinkoles in the roadways as well?

Of course, none of these would pose a danger to a tourist, unfamiliar with the area, driving / riding around Phuket, especially at night, and/or in the rain.

The accident that claimed this girls life was just bad luck - right?

Here's another. One minute you are riding, next minute you are swimming. smile.png

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/PHUKET-VIDEO-REPORT-Infamous-Black-Hole-of-Patong-may-not-be-fixed-for-weeks/21363#ad-image-0

For a "world class tourist destination" and all the billions of baht income from the tourist industry here - I've been on better roads in Issan.

Edited by NamKangMan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They have never been to Thailand before and felt a bit guilty about putting them on a plane at BKK and sending them to Phuket on their own. I cant stand the place to be honest and neither me or my wife or my kids wanted to go. So I changed it so Ko Chang so we could all go together.

So you needed to come to the Phuket forum to let us that live here know they aren't coming?

Didn't "Come On the Phuket Forum" at all . I saw the thread in view new content. The thread asked the question , Phuket Too dangerous and I think in the circumstances I explained , yes it was , a risk I didn't want to take. If you dont like hearing other people opinions mate , dont read the posts. Bunch of cliquey women on here. I'll post what I like mate.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't "Come On the Phuket Forum" at all . I saw the thread in view new content. The thread asked the question , Phuket Too dangerous and I think in the circumstances I explained , yes it was , a risk I didn't want to take. If you dont like hearing other people opinions mate , dont read the posts. Bunch of cliquey women on here. I'll post what I like mate.
Thanks for your opinion. It's treasured and will be written into the annals of Phuket history for future generations of expatriates who's visiting parents can breathe easy now your post is here.

Phew.

Thanks for your opinion. It's treasured and will be written into the annals of Phuket history for future generations of expatriates who's visiting parents can breathe easy now your post is here.
Phew.

I think you people get a little bit touchy if anyone says anything about your area or voices concerns about it. Phuket and Patong especially are a shit holes, full of rip off merchants preying on tourists. You may like it because you live their and cant bring yourself to admit what a shit tip is is. Sorry for the bad news

I think you people get a little bit touchy if anyone says anything about your area or voices concerns about it. Phuket and Patong especially are a shit holes, full of rip off merchants preying on tourists. You may like it because you live their and cant bring yourself to admit what a shit tip is is. Sorry for the bad news

Where in Thailand are you residing? I'm sure as the sun rising I've got plenty of bad truths about your place of residence.
Patong is about 5% of Phuket. Island has lots to offer and a majority of people on the forum rarely step foot in that shithole.
Maybe try another part of the island before you tar the entire island as Patong.

Koh Chang is nice - good choice.

Edited by NamKangMan

I live in Patong. If Patong is a "shit hole" - I suppose you could say I live in "the annals of Phuket." biggrin.png

It's a shithole. Overdeveloped, stinky drains (if they are unblocked), touts on every corner, beach is rubbish.

It's the Pattaya beach of Phuket.

I live in Patong. If Patong is a "shit hole" - I suppose you could say I live in "the annals of Phuket." biggrin.png

It's a shithole. Overdeveloped, stinky drains (if they are unblocked), touts on every corner, beach is rubbish.

"It's the Pattaya beach of Phuket." - I wish it was, then we would have baht buses. biggrin.png

http://i.word.com/idictionary/annals

Just so you can get familiar with the meaning in case you didn't know.

I'm familiar with the meaning of the word - you just missed the humour behind my post. (no pun intended) :)

That was humor? maybe for a prepubescent teen but a grown man?

Anal. Chortle.

Beavus and butthead comes to mind.

"It's the Pattaya beach of Phuket." - I wish it was, then we would have baht buses. biggrin.png

That would deprive you of your favourite pastime.

What would you piss and moan about then?

Rooms are cheaper to rent there too.

Transport and a cheaper box to live in. What's stopping you?

• Like 1

OK. Would you be happy taking your mother and father (or other family members, perhaps the younger grandchildren or nieces and nephews? ) down to Bangla Road to kick back with some ladyboys and a few drinks? It's a cesspool, no way of dressing it up

OK. Would you be happy taking your mother and father (or other family members, perhaps the younger grandchildren or nieces and nephews? ) down to Bangla Road to kick back with some ladyboys and a few drinks? It's a cesspool, no way of dressing it up

It's a tourist attraction for many, for sure I take my relatives for a look see and my wife takes her Thai relatives and friends for a look see. It's an expected ritual. Have a drink - no way. Walk along Bangla, see the 'sights' and off.

• Like 1

It's all a cesspool really.

Beach road stinks, littered with scumbag touts and taxis.

2nd road. More stinky and more touts.

3rd road behind jungceylon is an urban planning nightmare. Built all the pseudo hotels/guesthouses (townshop conversions) built before the road was. Infrastructure still hasn't caught up and the road is still not done.

And lastly Nanai Rd. North end is Bar girl and ladyboy loom for lent town and desperates trying to trawl the freelance ones. South end of the street is an isis breeding ground with the North African French gangs riding 100kph on their tmax bikes.

There is no saving Patong. It's just a matter of containing the cancer and make sure it doesn't spread further North, South or east.

It's a tourist attraction for many, for sure I take my relatives for a look see and my wife takes her Thai relatives and friends for a look see. It's an expected ritual. Have a drink - no way. Walk along Bangla, see the 'sights' and off.
It's more of the shock factor that draws people. People like to see the oddities. Ladyboys, iguanas, ping pong shows.

Something they can go home and tell their friends about.

Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 1

Where in Thailand are you residing? I'm sure as the sun rising I've got plenty of bad truths about your place of residence.
Patong is about 5% of Phuket. Island has lots to offer and a majority of people on the forum rarely step foot in that shithole.
Maybe try another part of the island before you tar the entire island as Patong.

Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, I know a hotbed of prostitution , drunken tourists , gambling dens and attacks on Farangs. Its actually going to be twinned with Benidorm next month.

Apologies for calling the whole place a shit hole , I'll be honest and say I dont like Patong at all . First there in 97 and also Boxing day 2004. I play in the Phuket 7s every Year and we stay in Patong , I just find the place has a horrible atmosphere with not a lot of love lost between Thais and Tourists. Its pretty obvious that the hosts are only after your money and the Tourists have no respect for the hosts.

Of course Phuket and even Patong have some amazing scenery and generally if TAT spent a few quid on them would be world class, but they seem content to let things fester while the money is still coming in

http://i.word.com/idictionary/annals

Just so you can get familiar with the meaning in case you didn't know.

I'm familiar with the meaning of the word - you just missed the humour behind my post. (no pun intended) smile.png

That was humor? maybe for a prepubescent teen but a grown man?

Anal. Chortle.

Beavus and butthead comes to mind.

Well, I am young at heart. :)

I would probably then "piss and moan" about other Phuket Forum members pissing and moaning about other Phuket Forum members. cheesy.gif

I would probably then "piss and moan" about other Phuket Forum members pissing and moaning about other Phuket Forum members. cheesy.gif

That's normal for the ones that leave the island so it's nothing new.

I wasn't "dressing up" Patong - it is what it is.

Whether you like it, or not, Patong (Bangla Road) is Phuket's BIGGEST tourist attraction. On that basis, I have taken friends and family there to see it.

Many criticize Pattaya, but it has a great transport system, for everyone to use, and Phuket hasn't, despite Phuket being marketed as a "world class tourist destination." It's lauaghable. :)

The decline in western tourists to Phuket is proof that tourists have had enough of the Thai mafia style in which Phuket has been run, over recent years.

Phuket shouldn't be, but has now become, second to Pattaya, for many tourists, and for many reasons - the main being transport and affordability.

Many are done with paying bigger money, for an inferior product, which in so many ways, is "Phuket."

I have friends who have moved to Pattaya, from Phuket, and I have friends who no longer holiday on Phuket, and go to Pattaya. I expect these numbers to grow in the future.

I'm not "Phuket bashing" - there are genuine reasons why Phuket can only attract Chinese and Russian tourists now, yet, many on this forum criticize the western tourists for going to Pattaya, but has anyone ever thought about "why" they are going there, when they used to come here?

I'm also not praising Pattaya. I enjoy calling into Pattaya to catch up with friends, but at this stage, I would not like to live there.

Corruption is everywhere in Thailand, but the corrupt in power are so greedy on Phuket that they have eventually repelled a huge segment of the western tourist market that used to live and holiday on Phuket, and I doubt they will ever be lured back.

That's normal for the ones that leave the island so it's nothing new.

When did you leave? biggrin.png

For those living on Phuket, but not in Patong, have a look where most of the crime is occurring on the island, particularly the violent crime - it's not in Patong, yet you think you live in a place far superior to Patong, despite living only a short distance away. cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan

The decline in western tourists to Phuket is proof that tourists have had enough of the Thai mafia style in which Phuket has been run, over recent years.

You are always talking about this decline in western tourists but there hasn't been any decline. UK and Australian tourists numbers were up for the first half of 2014 compared to 2013. The only difference is that they have less of the market share now. Probably the same worldwide now that more and more Chinese are beginning to travel.

• Like 1

For those living on Phuket, but not in Patong, have a look where most of the crime is occurring on the island, particularly the violent crime - it's not in Patong, yet you think you live in a place far superior to Patong, despite living only a short distance away. cheesy.gif

It's Phuket town. That's where the teen gangs are shooting each other and violent crimes happen.

Patong comes second due to all the druggies.

Edited by hansgruber