Driving in Thailand

padsist4

Can someone please advise me on the rules of the road in Thailand. Are the rules the same as uk drive on the left give way to the right, especially on islands, I have noticed a few islands appearing on the roads around thailand does anyone know the rules or is it a free for all if so why islands?. Do you have to give way to cars bikes etc who turn into your path from a side road without looking?. please please someone help me as I am going mad. A man on a motorbike no helmet with a tiny baby and small child pulled out of a sed road to my left and straight into the front wing luckily I was almost stopped as I was almost home. It frightened me Sh..l..s and all he did was smile.

Yes, it is a free for all as you say and the islands help separate the combatants, at least part of the time. Stop thinking in terms of rules because you cannot enforce your rules on others. Just slow down, be alert, drive defensively, anticipate and don’t assume anyone else will do what you want or expect them to. Eventually you will get used to it.

• Like 1

Driving on the islands is the same as on the mainland, but more drunk tourists instead of only drunk Thais

Um......I think he was referring to "traffic islands". But you're correct anyway - driving on traffic islands is perfectly kosher and more than a few drunks have wound up on them.

• Like 1

There is road about 10 km from us which has been widened to 4 lanes with a medial strip down the middle. The people who live around there have not yet adjusted to staying on the correct side and driving in the opposite direction to find a u-turn. You end up with the occasional local vehicle driving at you on your side of the road but it is a wide road and they stay over on the shoulder, so I just slow down a bit when I see them. I have friends who would be screaming at them and honking their horn but what is the point. Don’t worry about who is right, just stay safe and don’t hit anyone.

Yes, it is a free for all as you say and the islands help separate the combatants, at least part of the time. Stop thinking in terms of rules because you cannot enforce your rules on others. Just slow down, be alert, drive defensively, anticipate and dont assume anyone else will do what you want or expect them to. Eventually you will get used to it.

Sorry but everyone seems to treat this topic as a joke well it's not I have been driving in Thailand now for 12 years and it's getting worse this is from a mother who's son DIED because of thailand a drivers and I have a friend who's son also died because of thailand drivers I also have a friend who was badly injured because a 15 year old boy in his fathers suv lost controll and crashed into his motor cycle. This morning on my pedal bike I had a motor cycle pull out missing me by inches because I braked and the girl on the back said hello? My hubby at the traffic lights had a suv nearly knock him off his cycle no one seems to look or care

• 1 month later...

Sorry but everyone seems to treat this topic as a joke well it's not I have been driving in Thailand now for 12 years and it's getting worse this is from a mother who's son DIED because of thailand a drivers and I have a friend who's son also died because of thailand drivers I also have a friend who was badly injured because a 15 year old boy in his fathers suv lost controll and crashed into his motor cycle. This morning on my pedal bike I had a motor cycle pull out missing me by inches because I braked and the girl on the back said hello? My hubby at the traffic lights had a suv nearly knock him off his cycle no one seems to look or care

A tad bit touchy, not sure what made you think no one was taking it seriously by answering honestly if not a bit flippant, sorry for your losses[?] I'm certain no one intentionally said anything directed at you or yours.. Hmmm, just noticed that there was none of that in the OP? Kind of thinking maybe opening with that might have garnered a different response, in the OP you seemed to be asking a question based on little Thai driving experience but then it morphed into a rant against those responding and a sudden admittance of 12 years of driving there? What is it you're looking for again? Someone who's been driving there that length of time with so much tragedy certainly doesn't need our input on common driving laws and street etiquette do they?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Are the rules the same as uk drive on the left give way to the right

The rule is: drive on the left, most important road has right of way. The less numbers in the road, the more important it is, so road 456 has right of way over road 3244. If equal roads, give way to traffic from the left, exception roundabouts where you give way to traffic on the roundabout, so coming from the right.