Joining the Thai Army –step son volunteers

petejjj

Hi all,

Can someone please help with the details for joining the Thai Army?

My 20YO step son wishes to volunteer and I have the following questions:

1. Likelihood of being sent to the hot spots e.g. in the south? (yes I realize it's the army and that it's their job)

2. Duration of service, i.e. how long is he locked in for?

3. Are they paid and roughly how much per month?

4. Being 20 years old I assume that there is no parent permission or signature required from parent? He signs and that's it?

5. Time off – annual leave from service

Many thanks in advance smile.png

Cheers

-Pete

• Like 1

25 years ago i went to Serbia to army duty. I were stealing,fighting and had bad friends and just felt that i have to go away from everything. So i joined and that was a lifechanger. Maybe he feels same. Whatever reason he should be taken care of and helped as much as possible to achieve his goals.

Good choice and best wishes to him

Any young person who wants to do Military Service should be encouraged, much better than being one of those little tossers hanging around Rasta bars, or drinking Lao Khao and expecting everyone else to pay for their laziness.

After 5 years in the Rasta bar, you can decide to change and get a good job. If you got shot at the army it is off.

(But I agree almost non decide to stop the lazy life and almost non get shot. So military is in average the better choice).

h90, on 07 Jan 2015 - 19:00, said:
mrtoad, on 07 Jan 2015 - 14:14, said:

Any young person who wants to do Military Service should be encouraged, much better than being one of those little tossers hanging around Rasta bars, or drinking Lao Khao and expecting everyone else to pay for their laziness.

After 5 years in the Rasta bar, you can decide to change and get a good job. If you got shot at the army it is off.

(But I agree almost non decide to stop the lazy life and almost non get shot. So military is in average the better choice).

The whole point of being in the Army is not to get shot but to shoot other people legally, but if you get shot you get a medal.

Try persuading him to join the Thai Navy, it has more class and no functioning ships. They take discipline and education seriously.

No functioning ships?! But what about the fearsome missile frigates I saw on telly, shooting off those high-tech missiles? I think it was in a video clip with some stirring music and very hearty singing.

• Like 1

Try persuading him to join the Thai Navy, it has more class and no functioning ships. They take discipline and education seriously.

No functioning ships?! But what about the fearsome missile frigates I saw on telly, shooting off those high-tech missiles? I think it was in a video clip with some stirring music and very hearty singing.

They used to run exercises of Pattaya, shooting at the various small Islands out there like Koh Rin and such, but that was like before 2004 or so. For the last ten years I have not heard of any such exercises. I am sure some ships do work but they just do not have the budget anymore for any real practice runs.

Anyways they are actually entertaining the idea of Submarines......again.....

They used to run exercises of Pattaya, shooting at the various small Islands out there like Koh Rin and such, but that was like before 2004 or so. For the last ten years I have not heard of any such exercises. I am sure some ships do work but they just do not have the budget anymore for any real practice runs.

Anyways they are actually entertaining the idea of Submarines......again.....

along with the euro fighter and class 45 destroyer.

Now here’s a fringe benefit that you may not have thought about. He gets free medical treatment of course and so do his immediate relatives, including his parents. I was very surprised when I was asked for signed copies of my passport and visa. Apparently I, being married to his mum also benefit from this perk. I have yet to put it to the test.

This is the case with all public officials, and is most definitely available to foreigner husbands/wives/mothers/fathers. Getting the treatment card at the local hospital may be problematic if your passport number has a different number of digits to a Thai ID card, and until you do you may have to pay up front and get son/etc to claim it back at the workplace.

h90, on 07 Jan 2015 - 19:00, said:
mrtoad, on 07 Jan 2015 - 14:14, said:

The whole point of being in the Army is not to get shot but to shoot other people legally, but if you get shot you get a medal.

Fat good that does if your a cripple or dead, not to mention that most ex army people are <deleted> up mentally after some service.

But its good there should always be some stupid people joining to fight the wars for the rich.

You've gotta pay unless you want him on latrine duty.

Head over to some of the other forums and read the tales of horror posted by farang step fathers, hammock swingers and bone idle lazy punks disrupting the family harmony.

A dose of humility, discipline and a role model to follow are just what some of them need.

Alas for many latrine duty is about all they are fit for.

I know some would would pay good money just to have them permanently on latrine duty, or washing pots in the cook house.

Wow, swallowed a bucket full of negative bullshit.

Head over to some of the other forums and read the tales of horror posted by farang step fathers, hammock swingers and bone idle lazy punks disrupting the family harmony.

A dose of humility, discipline and a role model to follow are just what some of them need.

I know some would would pay good money just to have them permanently on latrine duty, or washing pots in the cook house.

Wow, swallowed a bucket full of negative bullshit.

Heres a couple of links for you to be going on with, happy reading.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789347-teenage-thai-son-by-marrage-causing-many-problems/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727288-problems-with-son-of-thai-girlfriend/

Nice to see the dutchman was smart enough to walk away, talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Want me to dig up any more, or would you rather I reccount some tales from upcountry, such as the lazy barsteward punk too lazy to get a job who broke into the local temple, gave his mother big face in the village no doubt.

Or the mug in Bkk who has a bone idle step son living with his who at 30+ years old has never done a days work in his life.

Or the 15 yeard old step son who moved his 14 year old girlfriend into the house with not so much as a by your leave.

Or the guy who came home to find the stepson going through the drawers in the bedroom looking for money.

Want me to go on?

The only thing I find to be BS, is what some farangs will put up with, do they really suffer from such low self esteem they feel the need to endure this crap?

• Like 2

do you mean Transam?

on a serious note- if he is really interested in a ARMY want to make good money,see the world,is committed and willing to sacrifice may you should encourage him to apply for the french foreign legion..not so easy to get in anymore but if once joined a family forever...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My Thai stepson hated the idea of being conscripted into the most trigger happy bunch of lunatics who gun down their own people on the streets of Bangkok.  His first return was six years later after being granted Australian citizenship, but he still kept a low profile.  His Aussie training and  education was way superior to Thai equivalent, it's Thailand's loss.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2015 at 7:24 PM, ATF said:

Maybe here you do  and the states of course but British Army NO.

Ex Thai Army man in our village. Have some great discusions with him. He is 55 he retired early and now draws full pension which apparently is obtainable at 55 here. He got a pay out near to 8 million and his monthly pension is set at the pay he came out on.(no idea how much that is.) He chats to my son frequently about joining the Army. He has told me and the son he can get him in via the old buddie system true or not i have no idea. Seems he had an easy number for the last ten years. He was infact holding down another job 3 nights a week as a security guard. Son want to join Police at the moment but as with teenagers maybe Tm he wont want to!.

My son in law is just about to come out in November after his two year conscript. He volunteered, He has a cushy job  working  and guarding the Next Thai king, comes home most week ends, Never seen any action , or been anywhere  near any dangerous incidents, Thai Conscripts dont all get the dirty end of the stick, He has now applied for the Police force,