Health Insurance

monk213

So after being here half a decade and without any health or travel insurance whatsoever, and after many hospital visits I think it is time to look into getting some insurance. Can anybody suggest some good companies and or plans and what i will be covered for please? Personal experience of course, this is why I have not just gone to Google on this one.

• Like 1

This is a complicated issue and even within one company there are different plans which offer different levels of coverage.

Would help to know:

- your age (many won't ensure people 60 and above, but some international companies will)

- whether it is essential for you to have direct billing (i.e. the insurance co pays the hospital directly, as opposed to reimbursing you).

- whether you need insurance only for Thailand or also for travel in other countries

- whether you are insured in your home country and, if so, whether you would want repatriation benefits in case of catastrophic illness

I am 26, the billing I am not too bothered as long as I am covered, probably just Thailand if it works out cheaper seeing as I spend 99% of my time here, and in my home country (England) we have the NHS so there was never any need to get insured. I miss the NHS sad.png

monk213 --from my own personal experience, BUPA seems to be streets ahead. On paper some look the same, but it seems BUPA will pay for things it doesn't have to pay for IMO.

Had universal health care like you in most of the countries I have lived in (NZ-Oz-UK..etc) so I shied away from buying a policy for years also, l got the minimum policy when I did as I was told you have to wait 6 months before you can claim, 2 weeks after had a motor bike crash, & was flown down to facial reconstruction unit Bumrungrad. I told them I didn't have any insurance, but the wife told them the story of just joining, they phoned BUPA who agreed they would pay for everything as it was an accident not an illness, everything came to way over my policy, however they paid (most of) it. The next 2 years have been just great for the Hospitals.....operations for Tumor in the stomach , hernia, back problem, ...etc......etc

Seems to be all clear now, but I think I would have to live to about 90 before BUPA comes back into the black with my policy.

I had the same mindset as you monk--- I am a citizen of all the countries mentioned & was quite dismissive of health care insurance---but you cant always make it onto a plane, & also if its needs to be done but isn't life threatening, the queues ---waiting time--from what I am reading are horrendous.

A policy at your age would not be that expensive.

Edited by sanuk711

monk213 --from my own personal experience, BUPA seems to be streets ahead. On paper some look the same, but it seems BUPA will pay for things it doesn't have to pay for IMO.

Had universal health care like you in most of the countries I have lived in (NZ-Oz-UK..etc) so I shied away from buying a policy for years also, l got the minimum policy when I did as I was told you have to wait 6 months before you can claim, 2 weeks after had a motor bike crash, & was flown down to facial reconstruction unit Bumrungrad. I told them I didn't have any insurance, but the wife told them the story of just joining, they phoned BUPA who agreed they would pay for everything as it was an accident not an illness, everything came to way over my policy, however they paid (most of) it. The next 2 years have been just great for the Hospitals.....operations for Tumor in the stomach , hernia, back problem, ...etc......etc

Seems to be all clear now, but I think I would have to live to about 90 before BUPA comes back into the black with my policy.

I had the same mindset as you monk--- I am a citizen of all the countries mentioned & was quite dismissive of health care insurance---but you cant always make it onto a plane, & also if its needs to be done but isn't life threatening, the queues ---waiting time--from what I am reading are horrendous.

A policy at your age would not be that expensive.

Hey thanks, really appreciate the advice, I will look into BUPA then and see how much certain policies cost. I recently had a bike crash that has mashed my teeth and jaw bone up, it has been the final accident which has made me think I really should get some insurance. I know I an just Google BUPA insurance, but do you have any good links for this specific situation because I have no idea of how it works, how you pay and set it up etc.

The attached is related to Thailand is BUPA. It is an accident policy and it almost seems to good to be true, 2,200 or so baht for a year and you can get up to 100k in the chance of an accident? I could do with that right now let me tell you!

post-216306-0-89911000-1420637812_thumb.

The attached is related to Thailand is BUPA. It is an accident policy and it almost seems to good to be true, 2,200 or so baht for a year and you can get up to 100k in the chance of an accident? I could do with that right now let me tell you!

Ah this makes more sense, thee above was just for accidents, this is for all round cover I think, still pretty reasonable to be honest.

post-216306-0-05928300-1420638481_thumb.

I am 26, the billing I am not too bothered as long as I am covered, probably just Thailand if it works out cheaper seeing as I spend 99% of my time here, and in my home country (England) we have the NHS so there was never any need to get insured. I miss the NHS sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0H2ViQW7Pp

I hope you realise that if you are no longer living in the UK you will NOT be covered by the NHS should you need health care on one of your 1% visits.

The days of NHS tourism are over, so best to ensure you have some 'holiday' insurance for your return trips.

I am 26, the billing I am not too bothered as long as I am covered, probably just Thailand if it works out cheaper seeing as I spend 99% of my time here, and in my home country (England) we have the NHS so there was never any need to get insured. I miss the NHS sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0H2ViQW7Pp

I hope you realise that if you are no longer living in the UK you will NOT be covered by the NHS should you need health care on one of your 1% visits.

The days of NHS tourism are over, so best to ensure you have some 'holiday' insurance for your return trips.

What!! So because I am in Thailand and even though I have a British passport and I am a British national I am not entitled to the NHS? Cameron you are a <deleted> <deleted>

monk123 You are a british passport holder. You are not a briish resident , and are not( same as me) entitled to free NHS care.

Nothing to do with David Cameron. it has been that way for some time.

Infact that was introduced by a Labour government.

• Like 1

monk123 You are a british passport holder. You are not a briish resident , and are not( same as me) entitled to free NHS care.

Nothing to do with David Cameron. it has been that way for some time.

Infact that was introduced by a Labour government.

So if I went home to treat something like cancer I would not be allowed the services of the NHS? Or am I missing something here..

monk123

If you went home with cancer you would get treated by NHS but you would have to pay.

That is ludicrous, and lets say my sister who lives there gets cancer, she would get free treatment or is there no such thing as the NHS anymore? Wow the UK really has gone to shit.

monk123

If you went home with cancer you would get treated by NHS but you would have to pay.

I put the question out on facebook to any friends back home and they all said that I would still get 100% free treatment if I went back. So I don't know where you got your information from...

post-216306-0-36815500-1420712776_thumb.

• Like 1

Well here are some words from my English friends.

''My sister is a nhs a&e nurse I can just ask her but I know for a fact if you are a British citizen you are entitled to nhs treatment''

''
As long as you a British citizen they will treat you 100%''

''My sister is a nhs a&e nurse I can just ask her but I know for a fact if you are a British citizen you are entitled to nhs treatment''

''As long as you a British citizen they will treat you 100%''

I suggest you google NHS for UK non residents and educate yourself.

monk123

I put the question out on facebook to any friends back home and they all said that I would still get 100% free treatment if I went back. So I don't know where you got your information from...

The only thing you are entitled to under NHS for "free" is emergency treatment, if your non resident in the UK even with a British pp you will be paying

BTW and cancer wouldn't qualify as emergency treatment

Your doing the right thing getting insurance for Thailand and dependent on the policy you would be covered in the UK as well if your visiting

Well your English friends and NHS sister is wrong this doent apply to non resident British citizens Edited by Soutpeel

Well your English friends and NHS sister is wrong this doent apply to non resident British citizens

They came back about 2 hours later and said that if a UK citizen stays away for 5 years then they will not qualify for the treatment anymore, there were also many more factors but yeah, looks like no more NHS :( That was maybe one of the only good things going for the UK imo

I can't advise on the UK NHS issue and you may want to start a thread on that in the "home country" forum.

BUPA Thailand or Cigna International would be my recommendations. You can get online quotes for both of them on their websites. Cigna allows options for co-pay and deductible which BUPA does not. BUPA premiums are less than Cigna (unless you accept a deductible or co-pay in which case they can be the same or less) but levels of coverage are much lower. Basically Cgna's lowest level of cover is more than you will ever need in Thailand and BUPA/THailand's levels are way too low except for their top tier plan (Platinum 5 million baht).

Things to be aware of:

- Neither will cover any pre-exisiting conditions and both may have some waiting periods before you are covered (though probably not in case of accident) so need to research that carefully.

- Insurance regulations in Thailand are looser than in other countries. Cigna International is based in Scotland and as long as you do not miss a payment they can't drop you no matter how many claims you have or what disease you develop, nor can they raise your rates because of prior claims (rates will rise though with age and periodic across the board increases to everyone as costs in general rise). BUPA Thailand on the other hand ran raise your rates by as much as 25% if you have a claim that in their(sometimes odd) judgement changes your "risk profile" and they frequently do this. They can also, if they so choose, drop your coverage at will (or so says their fine print) though that is uncommon in practice. In both instances the effect would kick in at the next renewal time, not instantly, so in case of developing a significant chronic condition there would be the option of returning to the UK and re-establishing residency before it became an issue.

On the other hand, BUPA is by far the best known/most common policy in Thailand and all the hospitals are very familiar with it, and seem able to get approval of costs fast. While I am in the process of changing over from BUPA to Cigna, I have had no experience with Cigna claims process yet so no idea how smooth. They do have direct billing arrangements with most Bangkok hospitals.

If you want to buy yourself some time and/or if you are not sure you will be more than a year more in Thailand, then I'd suggest a travel insurance policy which one can get for up to 12 months. These usually require you to front the money and get reimbursed later. Worlkd Nomads is good and easy to apply and pay for online.

really appreciate the detailed and thorough response, thanks. I am going to be here for at least 12 more months I think, unless I am forced out for whatever reason. Before I left in 2010 my dad told me to get travel insurance but I didn't bother and I must have spent at least 200k since then in hospitals.

Honestly, in my opinion, if you are not independently wealthy.....you have to be crazy not to have health insurance here (or anywhere for that matter where quality, free, state provided care is not available).

Edited by inbangkok

I can't advise on the UK NHS issue and you may want to start a thread on that in the "home country" forum.

BUPA Thailand or Cigna International would be my recommendations. You can get online quotes for both of them on their websites. Cigna allows options for co-pay and deductible which BUPA does not. BUPA premiums are less than Cigna (unless you accept a deductible or co-pay in which case they can be the same or less) but levels of coverage are much lower. Basically Cgna's lowest level of cover is more than you will ever need in Thailand and BUPA/THailand's levels are way too low except for their top tier plan (Platinum 5 million baht).

Things to be aware of:

- Neither will cover any pre-exisiting conditions and both may have some waiting periods before you are covered (though probably not in case of accident) so need to research that carefully.

- Insurance regulations in Thailand are looser than in other countries. Cigna International is based in Scotland and as long as you do not miss a payment they can't drop you no matter how many claims you have or what disease you develop, nor can they raise your rates because of prior claims (rates will rise though with age and periodic across the board increases to everyone as costs in general rise). BUPA Thailand on the other hand ran raise your rates by as much as 25% if you have a claim that in their(sometimes odd) judgement changes your "risk profile" and they frequently do this. They can also, if they so choose, drop your coverage at will (or so says their fine print) though that is uncommon in practice. In both instances the effect would kick in at the next renewal time, not instantly, so in case of developing a significant chronic condition there would be the option of returning to the UK and re-establishing residency before it became an issue.

On the other hand, BUPA is by far the best known/most common policy in Thailand and all the hospitals are very familiar with it, and seem able to get approval of costs fast. While I am in the process of changing over from BUPA to Cigna, I have had no experience with Cigna claims process yet so no idea how smooth. They do have direct billing arrangements with most Bangkok hospitals.

If you want to buy yourself some time and/or if you are not sure you will be more than a year more in Thailand, then I'd suggest a travel insurance policy which one can get for up to 12 months. These usually require you to front the money and get reimbursed later. Worlkd Nomads is good and easy to apply and pay for online.

I think i will get cover from Cigna.

I tried to put my Thai wife and kids in a package and it will not accept them.

Sheryl can you recommend a good Company for my wife and kids who are living in Thailand?

Honestly, in my opinion, if you are not independently wealthy.....you have to be crazy not to have health insurance here (or anywhere for that matter where quality, free, state provided care is not available).

Then I am crazy, however I would suggest that I am just moronic when it comes to such matters. As an ex hypochondriac it is quite ironic as well, I also have not had any injections before I flew out here in 2010, again silly. But I have changed my tune since then and I was 21, i am going to invest in insurance and I think BUPA. Do they give you a medical or do you just give them the money and fill out some forms?

Then I am crazy, however I would suggest that I am just moronic when it comes to such matters. As an ex hypochondriac it is quite ironic as well, I also have not had any injections before I flew out here in 2010, again silly. But I have changed my tune since then and I was 21, i am going to invest in insurance and I think BUPA. Do they give you a medical or do you just give them the money and fill out some forms?
There is no medical, but if you lie on the forms and they find out...... They will cancel your coverage.

They don't cover pre existing conditions.....

Edited by inbangkok

There is no medical, but if you lie on the forms and they find out...... They will cancel your coverage.

They don't cover pre existing conditions.....

That's fine, I just don't like medicals for some reason..

I've been in this wonderful country for over sixteen years and it appears a lot of you may in the same boat I was in until recently. I did not have any health insurance as I considered myself self insured. I am sixty nine, get a yearly check up and thought I was in good health until two weeks ago. My heart rate went to 185, left chest to shoulder pain and extreme shortness of breath. I was rushed to the local government hospital and then on to Queen Sirikit Heart Center in Khon Kaen. The end result was angioplasty surgery and placement of two stents in my coronary arteries. The bill came to 267,000 Baht.The doctor asked me if I was on the 30 Baht helath care plan for foreigners. I replied no I didn't know there was such a plan. She explained it to me and said if you had been on the plan the hospital that referred you to this hospital would have paid your entire bill except the initial 30 Baht you paid to the referring hospital.

I went today, applied and received coverage. It cost me 2.800 Baht which is a yearly fee. Here are the enrolement requirements.

1. Have a retirement or long term stay visa.

2. Marriage certificate not required.

3. Get a chest x-ray when you apply or have a recent x-ray with you from a clinic or hospital.

4. I'm not certain about smoking and drinking requirement as I have obviously stopped both and answered the question in the negative.

5. Pay 2,800 Baht, get a temporary card with a permanent card to follow in two weeks.

Here is how it works. If you are sick you have to go to the hospital where you enrolled. You pay 30 Baht. If you are admitted, when you recover and are dismissed you pay nothing. If you go to hospital A where you enrolled and the doctor sends you to hospital B, when you are dismissed from hospital B, you pay nothing. Hospital A will pay your bill.

I don't know when this coverage came into existence. No one had told me this before but I'm not surprised as we are told things on a need to know basis only such as "Darling the ATM card didn't work."

I hope some of you guys can take advantage of this. I sure would have had I known about it and I would still have my 267,000 Baht.

Please excuse any typos.

Edited by Pimay1

Actually the plan is intended for migrant workers and hospitals have been instructed not to issue it to resident expats, and some which had done so, have now cancelled them, while in other places they are refusing to renew. Apparently some parts of the country have not gotten the word and still issue this but be aware that it could be rescinded at any time.

There have been many, many threads about this.