Lost Google Apps from Firefox

johnnort

Hi guys! What has happened to Firefox recently? I cannot get Firefox to open up on my regular Google for Firefox page and there appears to be no URL for it anymore! I have been through ¨options¨ etc.to change page details but to no avail. Also my Gmail Notifier has disappeared. .I have deleted all traces of it and re-installed and although an icon appears on the desktop there is nothing on the toolbar etc.. It just does not work anymore.

I suspect Google is attempting to get people to switch to Chrome. Would this be correct? Or is there another reason?

Please administrators would you keep this topic here and remove it from the sub topic Mobile Internet and Devices. I made an error

I don't think you can "remove all traces" of Firefox without a lot of effort. You could have a corrupt Adobe Flash or Oracle Java or... Who knows.

I don't "think" that when you uninstall Firefox it removes everything from Program Files and you get those back if you re-install unless you delete first.

I don't know what's wrong. I started having problems with Firefox which was my all-time favorite, and switched to Chrome. It isn't perfect but it works.

I just don't know.

Edited by NeverSure

Might want to give SeaMonkey a try. Also from Mozilla (I think), but way better than Firefox, now that it has been dumbed down so much.

I really do not understand the trend of dumbing down everything to the point of uselessness.

Google Toolbar for Firefox has been discontinued a long time ago with version 5 of Firefox. Google recommended to discontinue the use of it, as it wouldn't be supported anymore. You might want to check out Googlebar Lite 5.0.6 as a replacement.

Recently with version 34.0 of Firefox, Mozilla dumped Google and signed up with Yahoo! as the default search engine for Firefox search and a new search bar was implemented. You can add the Google search engine to it.

The old Gmail Notifier 0.6.4.3 extension is no longer compatible. However there is a new FEATURED Gmail Notifier (restartless) 0.5.1 that is compatible.

These extensions are still supported for Google.

Edited by BB1950

Thanks everyone. BTW I only removed and reinstalled Gmail Notifier not Firefox and I never did have the Google Toolbar. I just used the Google UK for Firefox start page. Anyway you guys have explained that Google for the great part is now no longer supporting Firefox or v.v., for more and more of its apps. I am now more informed. Particular thanks to BB1950.

Thanks everyone. BTW I only removed and reinstalled Gmail Notifier not Firefox and I never did have the Google Toolbar. I just used the Google UK for Firefox start page. Anyway you guys have explained that Google for the great part is now no longer supporting Firefox or v.v., for more and more of its apps. I am now more informed. Particular thanks to BB1950.

It's very easy to set Google UK for the Firefox start page:

1. Browse to Google UK (https://www.google.co.uk/)
  2. Drag the FavIcon in the Tab or URL bar and drop it over the home icon on the Navigation Bar (This will set Google UK as your home page).
  3. Click the new Menu Button (Upper Right Corner)
  4. Select Options
  5. Under the General tab set the "When Firefox starts:" option to "Show my home page"
  6. Click OK

Google UK will now appear when Firefox starts thumbsup.gif

Edited by BB1950

Thanks again BB1950. I have in fact done this previously and all is OK. The opening page before was a Google UK " for Firefox" and slightly different but like I have said there is no longer a URL for this. Never mind though, if it is not possible to obtain this page then the present Google UK does the same job.....nearly!

Thanks again BB1950. I have in fact done this previously and all is OK. The opening page before was a Google UK " for Firefox" and slightly different but like I have said there is no longer a URL for this. Never mind though, if it is not possible to obtain this page then the present Google UK does the same job.....nearly!

Okay I get you now. You were using the Firefox start page built into Firefox. The URL is about:home. To use it again you:

1. Click on the Menu Button
  2. Select Options
  3. Under the General tab you Click on Restore to Default under Home Page:

It does not return results as you type. I've noticed that it uses the search engine you've selected as default. Unless you've created a custom entry for Google UK the Google search engine uses google.co.th and you have to play the English/Thai game with Google.

I suggest you use the Add to Search Bar 2.8 extension to create a custom search engine using the Google UK page and make it the default search engine. That should solve your problem.

Firefox 34 no longer uses the first search engine in the list as the default because you can no longer change the order of the search engines with the new Search Bar. You have to:

1. Click on on the magnifying glass icon
  2. Select "Change Search Settings"
  3. Set the default search engine to the custom search engine you created with Add to Search Bar. It should be at the bottom of the list.
Edited by BB1950