New Hotel Nearing Completion

The small hotel that we (my Thai wife and I), are building on rented land (30 years) in Phuket is now about 80% complete. The land lease contract is in both our names.

Next week, I understand that our new buildings will be allocated a street number and we can then apply for phone and internet service.

But I need to understand how I ensure that my name and my wife's name both go on the title deeds for this hotel.

I am familiar about land title deeds, (eg Chanote, Nor Sor 3 Gor etc). But what steps can I take to ensure that the business, (ie hotel buildings and operating business) are legally owned by both of us?

The business itself will be listed as an asset of our Thai ltd company. But can the physical buildings be registered so that we are both legal owners?

Any advice much appreciated

Simon

You must be making this up surely Simon???????

Surely you have not built a resort on someones land without having your 30 year lease already registered at the land office? Furthermore please tell me you have not built it without planning permission at which point your building registration book is issued and street address allocated?

Perhaps things work differently in Phuket, but surely not so different from the rest of Thailand???

Digger - the 30 year lease is registered at the land office.

The hotel has full planning approval etc etc. from the OrBorTor.

But the issue of the street address can only be applied for when the buildings are about 70% complete. At least that is the case here in Phuket.

So what I'm really asking is? How do we (me and wife) prove that we legally own these hotel buildings? We can prove that we have rented the land. because we have the land lease contract. But what can we produce that ties our names into the buildings on that land?

Simon

Edited by simon43

The house registration document and planning permission approval will be in a name - presumably your wifes - that effectively is the document that says you own the building and the approval notice shows the size of the building being approved (i.e 400 sq m or whatever it is) but it is not the blueprint. The blueprint should also have a stamp on the back of each page that basically links it to the approval letter or at least thats what I believe mine says - Improtant to keep the two together (ie blueprint with the stamps and the white approval letter) as the building registration document does not go into details about *what* has been approved, just the address and who owns it. When I built my house, the house registration document was all issued at the same time as the approval letter and long before anything was built on it. Infact as I recall the authority only allowed one year between that approval and work getting underway on the property they had approved.

Hey

With so much at stake and knowing how easily things can go 'pear shaped' surely it would be worth retaining the services of someone like SunbeltAsia, if only for peace of mind.

It would seem like a small price to pay after such a large investment.

Good luck with the business, post some details here, when you are open.

Kind regards

Peter

OK, I went back to the OrBorTor today and got the answer. After our hotel is completely built and ready for business, it has to be inspected to be sure that everything is ok - eg that the electricity is safe etc. When this inspection is successful, we will be issued with all the documents declaring this status, and declaring who owns the buildings/business.

Simon