Thai Courts sentence 4,056 for drunk-driving in the New Year holiday period

webfact

Why all the negativity?. I wonder how many of the 4,056 tried to bribe their way out of trouble --- and failed. I've been stopped and breathylysed several times, while sober, and seen attempted payoffs being rebuffed while waiting in the queue. This is one offence the cops have been ordered to take very seriously.

These figures are encouraging and, I hope, will be improved upon.

The usual penalty for a DUI first offence is community service plus, I think, a fine. I hope never to find out. Scrubbing the courthouse steps is a favourite. Some foreigners are asked to provide English-language tuition. It also means an unpleasant night in the police station lock-up until the court opens in the morning. No instant bail.

• Like 1

My Thai colleagues tell me the one punishment they would hate the most if caught doing wrong would be community service, especially anything that exposed them to the full glare of the public eye. In other words, serious loss of face is what they fear. One precious little chap even said he would refuse to do manual labor - I guess that would demean him too much.

So, what would be the most demeaning community service for a little emporer caught DUI? Street sweeping with a sign on his back saying "I'm too important to be doing this."

So they would rather go to jail than do community service? I don't think anyone in their right mind would make such a choice.

Good , its a start

Yes it is a start but a mere drop in the ocean compared to the number of drunk or drugged up drivers on our roads everyday.

I'll have to agree with you except on one point. You are a guest in Thailand the roads belong to the Thai's they in fact are not yours. Most Western Farangs always seem to forget this.

I actually pay income tax unlike the majority of the Thai workforce so I may be considered a guest but I am a paying one & so I do have a stake in the roads. I am certainly entitled to wish that road users exert common sense & safety when using the roads. Unfortunately there are far too may that do not.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good , its a start

Yes it is a start but a mere drop in the ocean compared to the number of drunk or drugged up drivers on our roads everyday.

OUR ROADS???hmmmmm....

He meant to say "THEIR ROADS". He must have?wai.gif

Something does not seem right here, unless it is a translation error. Thai courts sentence 4,056 for drunk-driving (and perhaps not having enough cash to pay on the spot)? How can that many court cases be scheduled and heard (fairly) in just 5 days?

Its an epidemic because they get away with it. Farangs are just as bad in this part of the world. Everywhere I have worked in this part of the world , Farangs have a skinful and drive, why here ? because if and its a big if , they get caught its just a case of bunging the police a few quid

These tickets must have been issued by the Thai Highway Patrol. I don't think the local BIB know how to write tickets. My wife gets stopped for speeding at least once a year and she keeps 100 baht in a bamboo fish attached to the mirror . This seems to be enough to satisfy most local cops