UK shows interest in Thai mega-projects

webfact

Mudcrab, whoever you are. You commented on my msg., you said get a job? So can you tell me how you know I'm not working? You clairvoyant or something. You also said get a job and dream about living Thailand? What makes you think I want to live in Thailand? I suppose you live there, your working, paying taxes? So I presume your a foreigner living in Thailand, so you must be either rich, or working to live there? If your working I'd bet my bottom dollar you don't pay any taxes there, so for you to tell me to get a job and start paying taxes, sounds a bit rich! excuse the pun. I wouldn't mind betting if the #hit hit the fan, you'd go scurrying back to wherever you come from.

rgiven Britain for "stealing" Shan State, that is currently part of Myanmar (albeit reluctantly, according to many of the locals up there) and the north-western portions of Malaysia, both of which were formerly under Siamese administration.

I always ponder to myself what Thailand could look like if it weren't for European colonization of it's neighbors? Would Thailand be almost twice as big as it currently is? Something to ponder about...

Thailand would look a lot better now had it been colonised by a European country instead of by the Chinese.

Right, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, they was all colonised by Britain and France. Are Thailand's neighbours better of than Thailand ??

smile.png

Quite a risible statement as you clearly can't differentiate between causation and association.

Wilcopops, why don't you try to attempt to make yourself look good by saying why you think Thailand would be better/worse off if it had of been colonised. And say that this was by a cause or association.

Firstly your lack of knowledge what association and causation actually are prevents any proper discussion. Furthermore your apparent complete lack of knowledge of Thai history makes any question you pose meaningless - you also had better review your ideas on what colonisation actually entailed.

You may also want to consider using less subjective (dare I say naive?) terms as "better/worse off. In essence history does work in the way you think it does, when you have a better grasp of the subject - should take a few years - come back and ask a sensible question....and try to pick up some basic critical thinking while you're at it.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Wilcopops, stop dodging the question. I was responding to Joepai's initial comment regarding what would Thailand look like if it had of been colonised by a European nation. If YOU don't want to comment on what you think Thailand would look like if it had of been colonised by Britain or France, fair enough.

I don't claim that you have a lack of knowledge of the area if you simply don't know what Thailand would look like if it had of been colonised by Britain or France, or if you are unwilling to express your view. And I don't ask you either to learn some history and come back in a few years to try and answer the question.
smile.png

Mudcrab, whoever you are. You commented on my msg., you said get a job? So can you tell me how you know I'm not working? You clairvoyant or something. You also said get a job and dream about living Thailand? What makes you think I want to live in Thailand? I suppose you live there, your working, paying taxes? So I presume your a foreigner living in Thailand, so you must be either rich, or working to live there? If your working I'd bet my bottom dollar you don't pay any taxes there, so for you to tell me to get a job and start paying taxes, sounds a bit rich! excuse the pun. I wouldn't mind betting if the #hit hit the fan, you'd go scurrying back to wherever you come from.

What makes him think you want to live in Thailand is the fact that you are posting on a Thailand board you dumbass!

You keep referring to Thailand as "there" so you are obviously not in the country - so what connection so you have other than spouting nonsense and making yourself sound like a pre-pubescent idiot.

Your are just an ignorant troll with nothing better to do - waste of space

I don't for one second believe any of this propaganda. Thailand will not let someone else make money over its own construction groups. Problem is that they cant get their ducks in a row (pay off enough people) to have their own projects completed. Thailand has been attempting to expand its sky train for how long? Though there has been some progress it has been coming at a snails pace. The projects they are and have been working on if passed to another professional engineering country would have already been completed and on time.

again a very poor example - Skytrain is a white elephant - just a showpiece to make Bkk look modern......any "expansion would require far too much realestate to be practical or make the system have any real value.

I'm afraid you're a bit off there. For many people in Bangkok the BTS Skytrain has tremendous value even if for some it's rather expensive.

Where you are more correct is in the problems with expansion, but most expension will be by the SRT and some MRTA. I'm not sure there's anything left to expand to for the BTS itself. Also the concept of 'interchange station' seems to include much more 'need to walk' time than in other countries.

I don't want to get into a long debate about it here but although crowded the system doesn't do anything like what it was meant to do - it is full largely because the systems below are also unable to cope.

It was from the beginning a misconception with no real plane for the future or even a market to serve. - in fact, It only serves the centre of town and those in town it has had no impact on traffic and isn't even part of an integrated system. in short it is a classic example of Thai face over function.

i used to use it every day but replaced it with ...a car!

Wilcopops, stop dodging the question. I was responding to Joepai's initial comment regarding what would Thailand look like if it had of been colonised by a European nation. If YOU don't want to comment on what you think Thailand would look like if it had of been colonised by Britain or France, fair enough.

I don't claim that you have a lack of knowledge of the area if you simply don't know what Thailand would look like if it had of been colonised by Britain or France, or if you are unwilling to express your view. And I don't ask you either to learn some history and come back in a few years to try and answer the question.

smile.png

TBG - I don't intend to go into a long post to try and inform others of what constitutes critical thinking - i.e. reasonable premise and reasoned argument but - try following my reasoning - that's a pat of critical thinking as is causation and the fallacy of association. it isn't a question if you are unable to see that then you have a very stymied view of history and colonisation plus what constitutes critical thinking. you might as well ask what effect marmalade has on the Thai motor industry.

Both are hypothetical scenarios that could only be put forward by someone who hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

To have any form of discussion on this is requires a minimum level of knowledge of history and an ability to put forward a reasoned argument - with both the aove examples it is not possible.....try to get your head round that.

Edited by wilcopops

smile.png

TBG - I don't intend to go into a long post to try and inform others of what constitutes critical thinking - i.e. reasonable premise and reasoned argument but - try following my reasoning - that's a pat of critical thinking as is causation and the fallacy of association. it isn't a question if you are unable to see that then you have a very stymied view of history and colonisation plus what constitutes critical thinking. you might as well ask what effect marmalade has on the Thai motor industry.

Both are hypothetical scenarios that could only be put forward by someone who hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

To have any form of discussion on this is requires a minimum level of knowledge of history and an ability to put forward a reasoned argument - with both the aove examples it is not possible.....try to get your head round that.

Wilcopops, you have decided to use your time and effort to express why it is that you are refusing to comment on the issue of Thailand being better or worse off if it had of been colonised. Why don't you use your time and effort to actually comment ? :)

Okay, I will try to help you. Please tick one of the following options. Option A, Thailand would be better off today if it had of been colonised by Britain/France. Option B, it would be worse off. Option C, it would roughly be the same. Option D, I don't wish to reveal my opinion on Thai Visa, I came here just to criticise the comment that was made, I'd rather use my time and effort to justify why I am not going to comment.

And anybody reading this on Thai Visa, you're also entitled to tick any one of those options. Hey, stick another option if you feel like it.

Or you could just put up a few sentances on what you think Thailand would be like today if it had of been colonised by Britain/France, and you can also comment on whether this would have made Thailand better/worse off, or the same !

:)

smile.png

Wilcopops, you have decided to use your time and effort to express why it is that you are refusing to comment on the issue of Thailand being better or worse off if it had of been colonised. Why don't you use your time and effort to actually comment ? smile.png

Okay, I will try to help you. Please tick one of the following options. Option A, Thailand would be better off today if it had of been colonised by Britain/France. Option B, it would be worse off. Option C, it would roughly be the same. Option D, I don't wish to reveal my opinion on Thai Visa, I came here just to criticise the comment that was made, I'd rather use my time and effort to justify why I am not going to comment.

And anybody reading this on Thai Visa, you're also entitled to tick any one of those options. Hey, stick another option if you feel like it.

Or you could just put up a few sentances on what you think Thailand would be like today if it had of been colonised by Britain/France, and you can also comment on whether this would have made Thailand better/worse off, or the same !

smile.png

You seem to have a comprehension block. You now have resorted to attempting to create several false dichotomies on a false premise...is there no limit to your lack of critical thought?

Are you aware of the association fallacy or syllogism, the "my cat has 4 legs" proposal? it appears to sum up your argument quite well.

Edited by wilcopops

Hello Wilcopops.
You have decided to carry on using your time and effort to not address the issue, and to justify why you are not revealing your view on the issue of whether Thailand would be better or worse off if it had of been colonised by Britain or France.

You previously asked 'you might as well ask about marmalade's effect on the car industry' ?? Well, Wilcopops, most people can answer that, by saying that marmalade has had no effect on Thailand's motor industry. But the issue of a nation having been colonised or not, and how this has effected that nation today IS something that is linked. If we look at Thailand's neighbours, well yes, most people feel that the legacy and effects from colonialism can still be seen today. It's just an issue of whether the effects have been good or bad, it's just an opinion, which is what I'm trying to ask people, here on Thai Visa.

We all know there's people who feel "India benefitted considerably from British colonial rule, and the beneficial effects can be seen even today", and there's others (including those who were born in England, but have Indian ancestry) who sometimes feel pretty strongly against such comments.

I take it that you are a person who does NOT want to reveal your views on such controversial issues. Or you feel that South-East Asia being colonised in the past is nothing to do with it's present situation. There's other people out there who don't want to address the issue of the colonial past, because they don't feel that good about their own country colonising (taking over) other countries. :)

Okay, so if you found people who you reckoned did know the 'cause and association' bit, well, you will go ahead and express your views about the 'effects of colonialism and whether they were good or not to whatever country'. And also, if you found someone who you reckoned had knowledge of Thai history, again, you would be willing to reveal your opinion on whether Thailand would be better or worse off today if colonialism had of taken place.
However, I feel you wouldn't answer anyway. That's because your main reason for being here is not to actually take part in any constructive writing. You want to use your time and effort to turn up here, and to say how ridiculous it is that people have turned up here to say (what you reckon) is ridiculous. And to also say why you are not commenting on the issue. I knew a man once who turned up at a party, and it was his intent to go and just say that the party was ridiculous and not worth going to.
Wilcopops, are YOU that type of person ???
:)