Russian Tourist Attacked For 'Not Buying Watch'

Lite Beer

just say no, in a polite and comitted manner. Stop insulting them or calling them scammers of a million of fake watches.

You spit against the wind, you get spat yourself.

Yes I fully agree and frankly I doubt the validity of the Russian story.

I have lived in Pattaya many years and have learnt a simple Thai phase "mai au khrap"

(No Thank You)

Say it politely with a smile and you will never have a problem with a street vendor.

My gut fleeing is that this tourist insulted the guy and probably told him to F**** Off

Frankly if I had been up all night trying to make a buck from selling some obviouly fake watches (which ,by the way ,often work as good as the real thing) and got disrespected I probable do the same.

• Like 2

one should tell tourists to stop negotiating with fake watch sellers from first hand. Don't even start a fri...g negotiation unless you really intend to buy a fake watch for the price that is called minus 70%.

What is so astonishing, I watch the Russian tourists stop the fake watch seller, wind him up in a 30 minute bartering session, and then try to send him his way.

If I was a seller, I would get angry, too. You are wasting my time, I have got a life to live by selling watches to people who are interested, not to people to just want to make it a show to their friends and their grandmother.

Even if I get solicited while walking down the street, by a watch seller, I have the dignity of leaving HIM his very own dignity. I do NOT stand in front of him proudly proclaiming " Your watches are all but a fake" . I would tell him "leave me alone, I do not need a watch", and let him go after his business . .. I strongly doubt if you call them off in the correct manner, insisting you are not interested in his offers, they will stop insisting to sell you a watch and keep walking on, no matter if the fri....g watch is fake or not.

just say no, in a polite and comitted manner. Stop insulting them or calling them scammers of a million of fake watches.

So are you suggesting that the watch seller was justified in pulling a knife? God help us all if you are because that's what it reads like. Get angry and stab someone, now that's really gross.

• Like 2

For once why doesn't one of these boys in brown (appropriate colour) say 'it's a disgrace that a Thai national would seriously assault a guest in this country over something so trivial. What is wring in Thai society when it comes to this???'?

I guess we will soon find out that the vendor isn't Thai.

Edited by chickenslegs

one should tell tourists to stop negotiating with fake watch sellers from first hand. Don't even start a fri...g negotiation unless you really intend to buy a fake watch for the price that is called minus 70%.

What is so astonishing, I watch the Russian tourists stop the fake watch seller, wind him up in a 30 minute bartering session, and then try to send him his way.

If I was a seller, I would get angry, too. You are wasting my time, I have got a life to live by selling watches to people who are interested, not to people to just want to make it a show to their friends and their grandmother.

Even if I get solicited while walking down the street, by a watch seller, I have the dignity of leaving HIM his very own dignity. I do NOT stand in front of him proudly proclaiming " Your watches are all but a fake" . I would tell him "leave me alone, I do not need a watch", and let him go after his business . .. I strongly doubt if you call them off in the correct manner, insisting you are not interested in his offers, they will stop insisting to sell you a watch and keep walking on, no matter if the fri....g watch is fake or not.

and you waste my time with all your speculations, you know nothing of what happened and what the Russian told the vendor or how the whole thing started.

Okay, but I am absolutely sure ( NO speculation!!) what the Russian didn't do, i.e. knew

1) He does not know how to say :Thank you, but I don't need a watch" and keeps walking (neither in english nor inThai. It is often described in average travel guides for Thailand but he seems not have read any of them)

2) He doesn't know, unlike most people who visit Thailand, that ALL and EVERY one of these watches are fakes, and accepts it as being the funny part of the game

beginning with these 2 facts, you can start drawing a few "speculations" . . . . without meaning to step onto your foot

Edited by crazygreg44

So are you suggesting that the watch seller was justified in pulling a knife? God help us all if you are because that's what it reads like. Get angry and stab someone, now that's really gross.

I didn't say anywhere that the vendor was justified pulling a knife. Reading helps, so read my post again.

All I write is telling you loud and clear : I can understand the vendors reaction - on the brim of what really happened and what I suspect happened, because I have watched it happen many untold times. Just read other poster here - many share my opinion.

every coin has two sides . . .

Edited by crazygreg44

Russian Stabbed by fake watch seller at Starbucks next to Pattaya Police Station

russia-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 22 year old Russian Tourist is currently in a serious but stable condition in Hospital after he was reportedly stabbed by a fake watch seller at the front of Starbucks Coffee at Central Festival Pattaya Beach.

The incident occurred on Saturday Night and resulted in a single stab wound injury to the left rib area of Mr. Ivan Cherkashin. He was there with friends and his Sister, Miss Nadezhdn Cherkashin aged 26 who accompanied her Brother to Hospital.

Police spoke with her and also witnesses at the Coffee Shop who described how the seller attempted to sell a fake branded wrist watch to the victim. He soon realized the item was not real and told the seller he would not purchase the watch.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/164508/russian-stabbed-by-fake-watch-seller-at-starbucks-next-to-pattaya-police-station/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-01-12

You don't think attempted murder is a slight over-reaction to a lost sale??????
A 30 minute negotiation ? Hmm sounds like you might need to buy a new

stopwatch....I've never seen one last nearly that long. Maybe the Russian guy was rude, maybe not, but stabbing someone is a bit CRAZY in response and a sure way to stifle any return business !

In Thailand there is an unwritten law, that once you start to bargain and the seller agrees, a contract exists and you must buy

as written by carazygreg, there is more to this story than has been made pubic

Sounds to me like the buyer was in an unwritten stage of a contract to buy, then broke his contract

If some one offers you a watch at 1 20th of its value tells you its a fake

so use your brain before you put your mouth into gear

this is no excuse for what the man did, but this is Thailand, so use your brains and have happy holiday

• Like 2

I have found most of the people selling things around the bars etc to be fairly nice - never really had an issue with them and I rarely buy anything. It is possible the Russian guy was rude to the seller and the guy lost his temper, no excuse for stabbing him regardless.

The Thai smile is pretty deceptive they can lose it pretty quick.

Edited by Tham1

Didn't something similar happen not so long ago and the guy got a 500 baht fine and was back in the street.

It's the same guy. Tourists should either just buy the watch or run for their lifes.

But I'm sure theres more to this story, who spends 30 minutes talking to a street vendor about a fake watch? Try to give the finger to a Thai and you're in big trouble, the Russian was probably clueless about how to behave in Thailand. No excuse , but incidents like this are just waiting to happen unless the police remove all of them.

"In Thailand there is an unwritten law, that once you start to bargain and the seller agrees, a contract exists and you must buy"

As I recall from business law classes in USA, verbal contracts are binding unless require more than one year to complete or involve real estate. Defense in court might include being under the influence (as if it would get that far here anyway....), or crazy. Russian probably qualifies as "mentally deficient"

You really have to "watch" yourself here....

I am in no way defending the vendor that slashed the Russian, but there is a saying in Texas that goes, "You f##k with the bull, you get the horns"... Given the demeanor of many Russians that I have encountered in Pattaya, I would dare say he brought it on himself... A smile and simple Mai Ow Khap is all that is necessary to send a vendor on their way...

• Like 1

"If I was a seller, I would get angry, too. You are wasting my time, I have got a life to live by selling watches to people" blink.png

If i were the manufacturer of the real watch I'd be very angry too. I've got a life to live following Property Rights. And this <deleted> is stealing bread from my table.

"...leaving HIM his very own dignity."

Right. Dignity in selling cheap Counterfeit goods.

facepalm.gif

Dignity that quickly fades to Assault With A Deadly Weapon because this man with the emotions and brains of a child doesn't like what you say.

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

I am in no way defending the vendor that slashed the Russian, but there is a saying in Texas that goes, "You f##k with the bull, you get the horns"... Given the demeanor of many Russians that I have encountered in Pattaya, I would dare say he brought it on himself... A smile and simple Mai Ow Khap is all that is necessary to send a vendor on their way...

So you ARE defending the vendor, and blaming the victim.

All this attacks will rise more and more. Be aware. Finally, we should realize, that these watch, dvd... vendors are criminals. So better don't interact with them. But hey, Thailands jobless rate is at 0% right? So, who cares. Even to deal with drugs or guns is a job.

All this attacks will rise more and more. Be aware. Finally, we should realize, that these watch, dvd... vendors are criminals. So better don't interact with them. But hey, Thailands jobless rate is at 0% right? So, who cares. Even to deal with drugs or guns is a job.

Still there will be naive tourists arriving daily who don't know how potentially dangerous it is to just do everyday business on the streets here. For a lot of tourists here, it is not only their first time in Thailand, but their first time abroad at all.

Edited by Jingthing

If you want to consider a real nightmare scenario, ask yourself how enjoyable Thailand - particularly Pattaya - will be with double-digit unemployment because that's precisely what will happen if the Chinese economy does suffer a major shock as some are forecasting in 2015/16. Millions out of work in a country with no safety net - these may prove to be the 'good times' in retrospect.

If you want to consider a real nightmare scenario, ask yourself how enjoyable Thailand - particularly Pattaya - will be with double-digit unemployment because that's precisely what will happen if the Chinese economy does suffer a major shock as some are forecasting in 2015/16. Millions out of work in a country with no safety net - these may prove to be the 'good times' in retrospect.

Well if the baht crashes as a result of this scenario then Pattaya will be flooded with visitors in a self correcting mechanism

Well if the baht crashes as a result of this scenario then Pattaya will be flooded with visitors in a self correcting mechanism

Probably some truth to that, though all these visitors enjoying the notionally great exchange rate would still have to pay for plane tix back & forth from their home countries (where economies are off to begin with) and prices for which don't seem to be sliding with the falling oil prices.

Sometimes Thais can't accept that you don't want what they are trying to sell or offer. The ladyboys also come to mind when I hear of these types of actions. Wasn't just a few months ago a farang was assaulted by a ladyboy for not coming into a bar.

Best to just ignore these people and keep walking without saying a word. I think it is when people tell them to pis& off that they get upset. Not correct behavior but never the less it happens.

• Like 1