Imported Beer In Thailand Fading Away

Big C and Tesco haven't sold imports in a while. I just noticed that Tops in Pattaya no longer sells imports so I am assuming that the Tops chain has dropped them altogether. Carre Four looks to be in same boat as Tops as Rama IV has none so one can assume that chain has discontinued them as well. I'm sure you'll still see them on shelves in Tops and Carre Fours as they flush out all remaining stock. I would imagine it wasn't worth selling them due to lack of sales as a result of high prices. The products no doubt sat around collecting dust and these chains are only going to deal in high volume products. It would appear that from now on it's Villa, Foodland and a few niche stores in farang areas that you will be able to grab an import at retail should you desire. I'm sure that most bars selling imports will continue to do so as the retail import market gets snuffed out. I have also noticed something about the Beer Lao phenomenon in Thailand. That product is clearly only available at select bars and restaurants in Bangkok and not at retail anywhere and not in bars outside the big city. I will say this about the Beer Lao as well, for those who know the product is available and have tried it are loyal as can be to the product and are massively loyal to it (count me among them). The thing is about that brew though is that there is zero advertising promoting the product so most people don't know it is available in bars/restaurants that do sell it

The only place that we really used to buy it (on draught) was in the German beer bar on Soi 7 cause it was the cheapest but it also unfortunately tasted...Rotten. :o

The only others around then was as said .Kloisters and Singh but you could buy imported Heine/VBs etc in places like the Magic Castle bar in the soi before the Darling wots it place....but nig noi peng....120bt plus.

(£1=35-40Bt) :D lot better nowadays..

I just luv these beer threads, cos I know what I'm talking about, at least I think I do :o

Is amarit still around ?? That and Klosters was the drink in Patters early 80's.

Only 44 and a bit days before I'm on the pop again...Yippeeeeeeeeeee

I HATED Singha AND Klosters, Amarit was actually good.

Domestic Heinekien wiped them off the map though.

I've heard some people say that Beer Lao is restricted because it would be big time loss of face for Thais if beer brewed by those unsophisticated country bumpkins proved to be more popular than Thai beer. :o:D

Haven't tried it yet but have heard good things. Where can I get it?

I just luv these beer threads, cos I know what I'm talking about, at least I think I do :o

Is amarit still around ?? That and Klosters was the drink in Patters early 80's.

Only 44 and a bit days before I'm on the pop again...Yippeeeeeeeeeee

I HATED Singha AND Klosters, Amarit was actually good.

Domestic Heinekien wiped them off the map though.

Amarit NB (naturally brewed my arse)

I remember the hangovers. Especially from the draught. Espescially from the draught from Renoir.

It was actually painful to rest your head on a pillow.

Unfortunately it did taste better than Singha or Kloster.

The reason is that the importers are fed up of the supermarkets ripping off the customers and driving the price up. I had Newcastle Brown, John Smiths, Natch, Gaymers Old English, Dry Blackthorn delivered this morning, all direct fronm the importers.

• 2 weeks later...

Lampard sent me a note stating that he does not have the Lao stuff as yet. He also mentioned that the BKK Lao does not have a tax stamp. On this I believe he is mistaken because all the Lao I've seen has that tax label draped over the bottle cap. Speaking of Lao, I gotta go out now and drink me an iced cold puppy before going to the store and buying some TP.

The reason is that the importers are fed up of the supermarkets ripping off the customers and driving the price up. I had Newcastle Brown, John Smiths, Natch, Gaymers Old English, Dry Blackthorn delivered this morning, all direct fronm the importers.

Wow! I'm impressed!

*****dribbles and drools