Sky Train with luggage, family, baby

ocejanic

If there were any design sense other than making money for politicians, it is not apparent in this rail link. Like the SkyTrain, it is for lightly loaded single commuters and no hand luggage. The stairs, escalators, and long walks just eliminate the whole system except for the most hardy and also those who can stand holding the doors open while loading all their stuff, and unloading. Thai call them "lifts" not elevators to further insulate Thai minds from ever installing them where needed nor providing directional signs where the lifts do exist.

Dont get me started describing Frankfurt airport terminal changing with two bags, two tripods, case of lights, and camera and me alone. Carts not allowed.

In Thailand, just take a large taxi if you can find one.............. but do take the baby out of carriage prior to stowing it in trunk, the carriage, I mean.wai.gif

If you mean the Airport Rail Link, you can take your stuff but there is some walking involved at the airport and the carriages are not really designed for luggage storage, you may end up standing if the train is busy.

I can only comment on the terminus at Phaya Thai, that is where you ink up with the BTS Skytrain.

Quite a walk along the connecting bridge and then stairs and escalators, pretty sure a lot of Skytrain stations do not have lifts (elevators).

Personally, with all your bags and family I would take a taxi.

But most people getting off planes DO have luggage.

Would certainly agree that Taxi wins hands down.

Thai call them "lifts" not elevators to further insulate Thai minds from ever installing them where needed nor providing directional signs where the lifts do exist.

They call them lifts because that is the correct English term for them.

They are called Otis elevators. Mr Otis is the reason why England has some tall buildings.

• Like 1

Amazing what people would do to save 100 baht.

My God there are some prats on this forum. Did you even read the thread? He is not doing it to save 100 baht. He is doing it because last time he came it took two hours in a taxi and that is not what you want after a long and stressful flight with a baby. The negativity and utterly unfathomable hostility to questions on this forum is genuinely sad.

Just to clear up some of the lies and misleading information: all the ARL stations have escalators and lifts, all of them. The lifts are too small and sometimes you have to wait but they exist and they work. You arrive at 2pm on a Sunday. The train will not be packed, you will not be crammed in like sardines. You will get a seat as you are boarding at the airport. Just walk down to the front of the train as all the late comers clog up the end carriage.

The walk from Phaya Thai ARL station to the BTS station IS NOT FAR. I don't understand why people say this. It is about 100 metres. 150 metres maximum. How does anyone expect that two completely different rail system stations could be built any closer together than that. Seriously? I would love for a "terribly long walk" moaner to answer me that. It is not far - it just isn't. The queue for the ticket machines can be long after an ARL train has just deposited everyone at Phaya Thai though.

Is it worth it on a Sunday afternoon when the traffic in a taxi would be light? Probably not. But if you want a test run in anticipation of an early morning return to the airport then it's probably not a bad idea. The OP has already said he is fine with the bags. Why does it matter so much to people that they feel the need to be rude? Please, step away from the forum and get a life.

There is the information. Make your choice and good luck.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 2

The BTS is crowded much of the day - seldom really "wide open" anymore. Toward the downtown stations (i.e., those within a few stops from Siam), people struggle a bit getting on & off during much of the workday. Close quarters. I don't think anyone will stop you or even say anything to you (the security officers will probably even help you through the turnstiles or open their 'gates' to let you bypass them), but it's NOT really very thoughtful or considerate at all to impose yourself on others with all that baggage & a baby in a stroller that way. Foreigners doing so make a VERY bad impression. 'Won't be fun for you or for your fellow riders. (And if you see thais smiling at you & your traveling circus, it doesn't mean what you think it means...) It's just plain selfish and rude. Show some courtesy and take a taxi. Sunday should be somewhat less crowded than other days, but then again the road traffic will be lighter as well making the taxi option more appealing.

The ARL is another story - you and your baggage train perhaps not as big an imposition on others. But strictly from your own perspective, if it's crowded (and it's not much of the time; arriving at 2pm on a Sunday I wouldn't think it'd be too bad), you might find it cumbersome. So worth a try, but if you do, once you get to Phaya Thai or Makkasan, do yourself and everyone else a favor and get a taxi.

Edited by hawker9000

Ive done it single with a big suitcase and a backpack. Never again. Ill gladly pay the money for

a taxi vs lugging a suitcase up and down the stairs. There are stations without escalators.

**************************************************************************************************************

LISTEN TO THE MAN

In the end it will cost you the same and you get door to door service not to mention

air conditioning.

Nearer to the center of Bangkok it can fill up like a sardine can

for me,, never again,,, i don't need the stress

My God there are some prats on this forum. Did you even read the thread? He is not doing it to save 100 baht. He is doing it because last time he came it took two hours in a taxi and that is not what you want after a long and stressful flight with a baby. The negativity and utterly unfathomable hostility to questions on this forum is genuinely sad.

Just to clear up some of the lies and misleading information: all the ARL stations have escalators and lifts, all of them. The lifts are too small and sometimes you have to wait but they exist and they work. You arrive at 2pm on a Sunday. The train will not be packed, you will not be crammed in like sardines. You will get a seat as you are boarding at the airport. Just walk down to the front of the train as all the late comers clog up the end carriage.

The walk from Phaya Thai ARL station to the BTS station IS NOT FAR. I don't understand why people say this. It is about 100 metres. 150 metres maximum. How does anyone expect that two completely different rail system stations could be built any closer together than that. Seriously? I would love for a "terribly long walk" moaner to answer me that. It is not far - it just isn't. The queue for the ticket machines can be long after an ARL train has just deposited everyone at Phaya Thai though.

Is it worth it on a Sunday afternoon when the traffic in a taxi would be light? Probably not. But if you want a test run in anticipation of an early morning return to the airport then it's probably not a bad idea. The OP has already said he is fine with the bags. Why does it matter so much to people that they feel the need to be rude? Please, step away from the forum and get a life.

If you believe that, then seems you would believe anything!!

Again, thank you all for your contributions so far. For all those who came herr for some unjustfied bashing without really contributing to my decision making: give this thread a pass and find some other place to vent.

For all the others:

I wonder where I wrote to arrive on a Sunday?? Someone must have misread SAMUI for SUNDAY.

I wil arrive on Wed, Jan 21, around noon.

I will ONLY need to travel from the airport to around Phaya Tai station, so would only have to use ARL without BTS, if I favour the train option.

I am returning to the airport on Sat, Jan 24. I must be at the airport at around 6 a.m.

So I reckon it all depends on the werkday and time (traffic jam vs. crammed carriages).

I don't really care about the annoying fellow travelers- factor anymore, since

a) the ARL was built especially for my purpose, the commuting just a side effect ( even though seemingly in full occupation of the livals by now), right?

b ) I've done my three months of wai & smile, getting scammed and milked like a golden cow enough now in Thailand to feel it is payback time. So I wouldn't bee too regretful to block some space in the carriage on two occasions.

Edited by ocejanic

Again, thank you all for your contributions so far. For all those who came herr for some unjustfied bashing without really contributing to my decision making: give this thread a pass and find some other place to vent.

For all the others:

I wonder where I wrote to arrive on a Sunday?? Someone must have misread SAMUI for SUNDAY.

I will ONLY need to travel from the airport to around Phaya Tai station, so would only have to use ARL without BTS, if I favour the train option.

I am returning to the airport on Sat, Jan 24. I must be at the airport at around 6 a.m.

So I reckon it all depends on the werkday and time (traffic jam vs. crammed carriages).

a) the ARL was built especially for my purpose, the commuting just a side effect ( even though seemingly in full occupation of the livals by now), right?

b ) I've done my three months of wai & smile, getting scammed and milked like a golden cow enough now in Thailand to feel it is payback time. So I wouldn't bee too regretful to block some space in the carriage on two occasions.

sry, "livals" = locals

I use the ARL regularly. Tell me what in that post isn't true instead of just coming out with flippant comments. I gave the poster some unbiased info so he can make a choice - explain what I have lied about please.

For all the others:

In that case - if you only need to get to Phaya Thai and it isn't a Sunday - you should definitely take the train, 100%. But if you need to be at the airport at 6am on your way back then you will need to find another option as the first train only departs Phaya Thai at 6am meaning you'll be at the airport at 6.30am.

Edited by josephbloggs

For all the others:

"I don't really care about the annoying fellow travelers- factor anymore, since"

Says it all...

Why would any sane person choose to lug bags, luggage & a stroller around then through turnstiles, possibly down stairs in and out between daily commuters over sitting in an air conditioned taxi .....

The mind boggles sometimes but, maybe we're not all sane ...... coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Tell me what in that post isn't true

The part where you say "he isn't doing it to save 100 baht".

And you know this how. Because he says so??

I'm saying under the OP's circumstance he is doing it to save costs. That's just my opinion and kudos to him, it's and extra 100 baht in his pocket however it is amazing the lengths people go to save 100 baht, that's all I'm sayin!!

As for the rest of your post, you may be right or you may be wrong, I couldn't care less.

For all the others:

I'm saying under the OP's circumstance he is doing it to save costs. That's just my opinion and kudos to him, it's and extra 100 baht in his pocket however it is amazing the lengths people go to save 100 baht, that's all I'm sayin!!

As for the rest of your post, you may be right or you may be wrong, I couldn't care less.

I can reassure you that the only concern is travel TIME reliability. I don't care if it costs me 50 or 500 BHT, honestly. It does not even have to be the SHORTEST time possible. Just the most FORESEEABLE.

Think this:

On returning to the airport, I need to make sure to be there at a certain time +/- 15 min, not more.

If I chose taxi, your recommendation might be to "get one early enough to be prepared for traffic jams." So I consider it might be POSSIBLE to get stuck and it takes 2 hours, right? So because of this MAYBE, I board the taxi two hrs before. Now what if eberything goes smooth and I am there in only 20 minutes? I sit the extra 1 1/2 hrs at the airport. Problem with family.

With the ALR, There is a much higher chance of it reaching the airport exactly on schedule. This is what is crucial to me - RELIABILITY OF TRAVEL TIME SPAN, anything between 15 and 30 min.

And as to the comment about my not caring about annoying fellow travelers with my luggage:

I've checked the ALR website. It adresses travelers with luggage arriving by air. It has been specifically built for people like me.

So why in God's name should I feel guilty about travelling on that very train with my luggage?? I am sorry but some posters' logic is so beyond me.

Edited by ocejanic

Maybe they believe everything they read here and are scared of being ripped off and murdered by the fearsome airport taxi drivers?

Definitely NOT. I have never felt uneasy in a Thai taxi. Not even in a Thongsaew by night with family taking us to the middle of nowhere.

u

Ah, so you know what the OP is thinking better than the OP himself when he already explained his reasoning. Of course you are right. He said it wasn't about the money but naturally he was lying and it is. Thank you. You are amazing.

• Like 1

With wife, kid and luggage I will never take the ARL .

Never spent more than 1 hour to/from lower Suk-airport by taxi (50+ landings/departures) usually 30 minutes

Only once waited more than 10 minutes to get into a taxi at arrivals (both airports also when only had DM)

Had a short Bangkok trip last November traveling alone, did take BTS+ airport Bus to DM, but was stupid to walk from Ibis soi 4 hotel to Nana, bad idea, forgot they have a shuttle, stupid me.

Actually the now-defunct ARL Express Line was especially built for your purpose. The City Line was built as a commuter train line, hence the lack of baggage storage racks that the Express Line trains had and the traditional seats along the sides to maximum standing room for passengers.

In many ways the ARL has been a bit of a planning debacle (even for Thailand) between he expansive airline check-in terminal at Makkasan and the infrequent Express Line trains (when they operated.)

• Like 2

Actually the now-defunct ARL Express Line was especially built for your purpose. The City Line was built as a commuter train line, hence the lack of baggage storage racks that the Express Line trains had and the traditional seats along the sides to maximum standing room for passengers.

In many ways the ARL has been a bit of a planning debacle (even for Thailand) between he expansive airline check-in terminal at Makkasan and the infrequent Express Line trains (when they operated.)

The ARL Express Line is now no more? When did that happen? 'Must've been fairly recent. I know it was running back in the April-May timefame.

Edited by hawker9000

Ocejanic, please don't forget to post how your trip goes. Having traveled on it before with one large suitcase I have to say I would never do it again, let alone with a one year old in a stroller.

The Express Line train was suspended late last year.

Ocejanic, please don't forget to post how your trip goes. Having traveled on it before with one large suitcase I have to say I would never do it again, let alone with a one year old in a stroller.

The Express Line train was suspended late last year.

http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/time-table-route.html

http://www.srtet.co.th/en/02_routing_services/01_sa_express.html

http://www.bangkok.com/airport-rail-link.htm

(and no doubt many more)

...'need to update their webpages. (I know. So what else is new....)

UPDATE:

....but I found a wiki article saying the suspension is temporary (ostensibly for one year dating from last April) and due to "insufficient rolling" stock (which is undergoing "long term, overhaul maintenance").

Edited by hawker9000