Police senior sergeant major killed by racing motorcyclist

Lite Beer

SA KAEO: -- A police senior sergeant major was fatally hit by a speeding motorcycle when he tried to stop road races in Sa Kaeo's Aranyaprathet district at 11:30 pm Saturday.

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichai Raksilp, who was heading the road checkpoint, tried to stop a group of 20 motorcyclist racing on the road but one of them hit him, hurling him about five metres away.

Wichai died at the Aranyaprathet hospital. The 16-year-old motorcyclist was injured and detained at the hospital. Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Police-senior-sergeant-major-killed-by-racing-moto-30251676.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-11

Interesting to hear the outcome of this story.

I hope we get an update.

May Wichai Raksilp Rests in Peace.

Don't know if we hear an update, but I'm sure the boy and his parents will be punished as they deserve to be.

The days of being lenient have gone......we are experiencing a new era in Thailand.

I hope so Costas.

Silly boy, out racing with his mates, a tough way to learn a lesson.

I hope we get an update.

Don't know if we hear an update, but I'm sure the boy and his parents will be punished as they deserve to be.

The days of being lenient have gone......we are experiencing a new era in Thailand.

Whatever you are smoking, I want some......................

You are becoming so naive, that it is almost funny (or depressing?)..................

Thank you for always making me laugh with your answers.

Keep it up, mate, your work is getting as good as the General's

• Like 2

I hope we get an update.

You are becoming so naive, that it is almost funny (or depressing?)..................

In fairness, i can't really see any changes, bar the tightening up of visas. Just window dressing

Street racing in Aranyprathet, Thailand's main border town to Cambodia. Where were they heading to? It couldn't have been Cambodia because Cambodian customs would have refused their bikes entry as private vehicles without permission can't cross there. Anyway, I digress.

I feel for this poor senior sergeant, who was doing his job properly and tried to stop these maniacs who not only took his life away, but endangered many more innocent lives and their own (which they probably don't care about anyway).

There need to be tougher consequences for this kind of behavior - maybe the introduction of tough "anti-hoon" laws like in Australia. This type of offence should attract a minimum penalty of confiscation of the offending vehicles, which are then sold by auction, a stiff fine and jail time (min. a few months) and stringent enforcement with no possibility of bribery. Only then will these things be brought under control.

But hey who am I kidding, this is Thailand. But yeah my point is (and this relates back to my opening sentence), if Cambodian customs at Poipet are such gods and prevent you from bringing a private vehicle across for a bit of a tour even if you attempt to bribe them, why then can't the police here have similar powers? I don't think it's really that difficult.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

In fairness, i can't really see any changes, bar the tightening up of visas. Just window dressing

I don't think they will tighten up visas too much either. Already they have taken a backseat when it comes to the plans to stop all visa runners or prevent English teachers from working on tourist visas (not that the latter was ever legal to begin with, but it's just that they don't think it too seriously). Overstays will not be as heavily penalized as they first announced. Remember that Thailand is possibly the world's most tourism obsessed country. They'll never do anything that could bring down visitor numbers. Numbers are everything here and mass, mass tourism is what they seem to want. There will never be a blanket visa-on-arrival for most nationalities like that introduced by Indonesia some 10 years ago just to raise revenue because that would discourage many visitors. It is still incredibly easy for foreigners to visit Thailand and not too difficult to stay long-term in some sort of way, irrespective of the type of visa you are on. Things have tightened up slightly over the years but that's to be expected when a country becomes more developed. Overall, there's not been a huge amount of change though.

So in that sense, the current administration is not going to implement any changes of any kind, to anything in any sort of revolutionary way. It's all going to stay the same, bar a few minor changes here and there.

• Like 2

I hope we get an update.

I hope so Costas.

Silly boy, out racing with his mates, a tough way to learn a lesson.

I hope so too, but I'm afraid I don't see any major changes on the way and therefore I don't think we are experiencing a new era in Thailand other than the long-term presence of a non-elected government and those annoying 6pm "progress announcements", which are preceded by that awful singing by a choir of young kids about to undergo adolescent voice changes. It's almost as bad as listening to drunks at a karaoke parlour. I always turn the TV to another channel or if I'm driving my radio to a different station or listen to some MP3s rather than torture myself with listening to the vile crap they spew out every evening during those 15-30 minutes of pain.

• Like 1

The 16-year-old motorcyclist was injured and detained at the hospital. Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province.

Says it all really. You already know the outcome. Worst case scenario will be a slap on the wrist and payment to the police officer's family.

No justice and no accountability, none at all, in this country.

• Like 1

Whilst I feel sorry for the family of the deceased, I would wager he employed the standard method of stopping vehicles here, which is to run into the road.

I am not a racer. Many is the time I have been riding along the road when a policeman has jumped from hidden behind a lorry into the 2nd or 3rd lane and I have had to swerve to avoid him.

I would wager the set-up to catch these racers was something like that. In this day and age, we have a wide range of technology available including cameras. There is mountains of research into how to stop speeding and dangerous drivers.

However the checkpoint seems to be the be all and end all of Thai traffic policing so we can't expect to see something similar to this next year and the year after.

• Like 2

SA KAEO: -- A police senior sergeant major was fatally hit by a speeding motorcycle when he tried to stop road races in Sa Kaeo's Aranyaprathet district at 11:30 pm Saturday.

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichai Raksilp, who was heading the road checkpoint, tried to stop a group of 20 motorcyclist racing on the road but one of them hit him, hurling him about five metres away.

Wichai died at the Aranyaprathet hospital. The 16-year-old motorcyclist was injured and detained at the hospital. Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Police-senior-sergeant-major-killed-by-racing-moto-30251676.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-01-11

if offender driving lambo or other supercar pissed and coked of head no proplem
  • Like 1

I hope we get an update.

OK how? We are all waiting with baited breath.......

Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province

Speaks volumes that they included that line in the narrative. They may as well just have written 'He's connected, he'll get clean away with it'' but probably didn't have the bottle to go into full implications of dealing with a military officer. Thoughts go out to the copper and his family. One hopes the lad sees the inside of a jail for the next 20 years of his life but we all know he'll maybe get a slap on the wrist, publicly, at worst, then it will all go away....

Street racing in Aranyprathet, Thailand's main border town to Cambodia. Where were they heading to?

Sa Kaew is a sparsely populated provice. When I lived in AP the kids used to love to race between AP and Amphur Sa Kaew. The road is twisty turny, light on traffic, which can make for a white knuckle bus or car ride at any speed at all, so I can imagine how much 'fun' it could be for a kid on a bike.

I hope we get an update.

OK how? We are all waiting with baited breath.......

Don't hold your breath.......no good for your healthwhistling.gif

"son of a senior Army officer ... "

That means: The dead police officer will be blamed for trying to interrupt the VIP bastard`s funny night out.

I hope, TV is following this next case of privileged treatment for SHIT SMELLIG <deleted>!!!!

I predict this story will fade away, and we will never hear another word about it.

Since no one who is well connected seems to ever face punishment here , no need for

the media to make the justice system look like a joke with a follow up story saying

the kid got off scot free...

• Like 1

The 16-year-old motorcyclist was injured and detained at the hospital. Police said the boy is a son of a senior Army officer in the province.

Says it all really. You already know the outcome. Worst case scenario will be a slap on the wrist and payment to the police officer's family.

No justice and no accountability, none at all, in this country.

Kill a cop. say in New York, and you usually get shot resisting arrest. Always thought it was a bit harsh, but it does save on legal costs.....

While the boys shouldn't be racing on the streets, and therefore the kid who hit the cop is liable, I have had a few times when I was riding along and a cop strode out from a hiding spot, directly into my path, his hand held up in the stop gesture, his face stern with unspoken rebuke. I had to hit my brakes full on to stop in time, just barely managing not to hit him - and I have been trained in track riding to brake properly (...as opposed to many riders out there who just use their back brake, or 'grab' their brakes in a panic, rather than applying increasing pressure to let the front tyre compress and get a better grip).

In each case, it was as if the policeman believed that the authority conferred upon him by his uniform generated some invisible force field that made it impossible for a mere mortal to plow into him. In fact, what they were doing was bordering on suicidal.

Anyone else ever encounter that?

• Like 1