How to get from Savannakhet to Bangkok

Nayet

I am looking for some options on how to get back to Bangkok from Savannakhet. I wouldn't mind flying but am looking to save some money, so if I can catch a reasonably comfortable bus somewhere, I don't mind. Directions from the Thai consulate would be a bonus.

If I fly, is there a chance of getting my hands on a cheap stand-by ticket?

PS, if you are wondering how I got here, I was pushed out of a C-130. Just kidding. I'm not actually there yet but have a one way airline ticket.

stand by, certainly here in TH and even more for domestic never ever was a real option and by now is nonexistant. Except if you are an airline worker-in that case you would not need to ask. tipically only duuuhh USAers ask about it anyway.

Plain daft simple thinking; domestic is always cheaper as international, if only for the extra taxes. Thus get a map, see what Thai cities are nearby (Mukdaharn, Ubol) and check the usual lowcosts from there. Maybe AirAsia still has their 333 bt special from Nakorn Phanom-a little further, but then much cheaper. From Muk there are frequent buses to all those towns, the shuttle bus from Svkt ends at that busstation.

Alternative: for very short notice the usual overnight buses from any local town, including thus Muk to BKK will cost 6/700 THB luxury class, 4/500 2nd cl. just buy ticket at station before.

just wait a few more hours and certainly other preachers will rave about the joys of Thai trains-tahts from Ubol.

I don't think it's the price, it's the timing you need to look at.

Their is an airasia flight to nakom Patom with a shuttle to mukdahan.

It's around 1500b inclusive and arrives in mukdahan at 6.00pm .. There's not enough time to cross the border but just find a cheap hotel and get a bus over the bridge first thing.

You pick up your passport but it doesn't leave you enough time to get back, so you can either spend a night in Laos, night in mukdahan or get the bus back - the bridge bus will drop you back at the bus station.

If your being tight, at least, fly up and bus back, you will arrive at the embassy fresh and happy.

There may be nok flights which are better times but the airasia shuttle is a spot on service.

From Thai Consulate, take tuk-tuk to Savanakhet bus station, ask for cross-border bus to Mukdahan bus station where you will find umpteen buses to Bkk and everywhere else. One deluxe bus is Sahaphan -- their office is not in the main mukdahan bus station building, but about 20 metres across thecarpark. Ask around -- the tuktuk drivers know everything. Last departure for Bkk is around 21:00.

FWIW -- there is a guest house near the consulate called NONG SODA -- all the tuk tuk drivers know it and it's 5 minutes walk from the consulate. -- past a couple of places you can get food -- including the floating restaurant on the river.

Enjoy Savanakhet -- I did ;)

• Like 2

Maybe it's worth considering a low cost flight. If by bus you need to pay 800 Thb for an 8 hours or so travel with all the risks involved, for 400 Thb more you can fly Nok Air from Mukdahan to Bangkok (depending on date and flight ). 1155 Thb with Nok Air and around 1500 Thb with Air Asia. Bus transfer between Mukdahan and Nakhon Phanom included. And from Savannakhet to Mukdahan, it will cost you around 50 Thb with international bus.

From Thai Consulate, take tuk-tuk to Savanakhet bus station, ask for cross-border bus to Mukdahan bus station where you will find umpteen buses to Bkk and everywhere else. One deluxe bus is Sahaphan -- their office is not in the main mukdahan bus station building, but about 20 metres across thecarpark. Ask around -- the tuktuk drivers know everything. Last departure for Bkk is around 21:00.

FWIW -- there is a guest house near the consulate called NONG SODA -- all the tuk tuk drivers know it and it's 5 minutes walk from the consulate. -- past a couple of places you can get food -- including the floating restaurant on the river.

Enjoy Savanakhet -- I did wink.png

If your thinking Nong Soda guesthouse near the river then you are talking about the old and now closed Thai Consulate. The new Thai Consulate is located near the bus station.

I made that mistake last December. Just presumed that they didn't change location and showed up early at the wrong location. Thankfully, I was very early and managed to get myself to the new location which is on the 9W road that leads to the border bridge, just past the new Savan ITEC building.

If your thinking Nong Soda guesthouse near the river then you are talking about the old and now closed Thai Consulate. The new Thai Consulate is located near the bus station.

I made that mistake last December. Just presumed that they didn't change location and showed up early at the wrong location. Thankfully, I was very early and managed to get myself to the new location which is on the 9W road that leads to the border bridge, just past the new Savan ITEC building.

Thank you for the update !! thumbsup.gif

Goes to show that is pays to only get directions from someone who's actually been there recently ;)

Wow, I just posted how relieved I was that Nong Soda is close to the consulate since that is where I am finding myself, and then I saw jpinx's post. I wonder how far I am from the consulate now.

Edited by Nayet

Wow, I just posted how relieved I was that Nong Soda is close to the consulate since that is where I am finding myself, and then I saw jpinx's post. I wonder how far I am from the consulate now.

Maybe 5 minute tuk-tuk ride or 45 minute walk. On the positive side, you'll have plenty of choice for places to eat AND you will be very close to the bus station once you pick up your visa. :)

Sorry about that -- they moved the consulate without consulting me!!!

From Nong Soda you can get a tuktuk to the new location and everything is walk-able from there it seems. Consolation is that in Nong Soda your Thai mobile provider will work, but at the bus station it won't ;)

Is the river restaurant still there -- near Nong Soda - a minutes walk towards town? Take mozzie repellent -- they're vicious !!!