Mazda 2 Skyactive Diesel Test Drive

shiroboi

A diesel engine is more expensive than a benzine. But It will give you much better fuel economy. And besides the diesel is cheaper than benzine smile.png

E20 is now cheaper than diesel, and E10 is just slightly more expensive. Benzene prices have plummeted 10 baht a litre recently.

E85 22Bht P.L yesterday.biggrin.png

I still haven't bought a car yet. I agree with others, the price is what's putting us off. The entry model is in our price range but it feels like a night and day difference with the interior quality compared to the top model.

Oh the fuel economy last time I checked was 83 mpg which equates to about 35.3 Km/L. It is a bit more expensive but I figured you could make that back in fuel efficiency. I did some math and the Mazda 2 when compared to a regular Honda Jazz would probably take you about 50 months to make up a price difference of 100k baht if you saved 2K in fuel a month.

Hi Shiroboi,

Tried to convince my son to get the Fiesta Ecoboost at 704,000 full high specced but he decided on the Mazda 2 entry. The High looks pretty same so went for entry and added about 15-17,000 for leather interior. Will get the car on 31st and see how it came out.

Did you have a look at the Fiesta Ecoboost? Nice overall package and fun to drive. Should also be quite decent on fuel.

I was actually checking that out yesterday. I think it's certainly worth a look but my wife doens't seem to like the fiesta, nor is she a fan of Ford. Ultimately we may end up with a Yaris for the pure and simple reason that it comes in a light blue metallic that my wife loves so much. Sigh, women.

oh man....i feel for you on that one. Thought Ford has also a light blueish kind of color. Anyway, Thais usually don't like Ford as much....after the Ranger fiasco the 'Farangs' neither...I guess. I had a Focus TDCI before and it was and still is (my friend has it now) a great drivers car. Service is hit and miss, which is the main problem with Ford. But the Fiesta is not a new car, been on the market now quite long and that 1.0 engine won 3 times engine of the year award in Europe, if this counts for anything. The Mazda diesel is still a ? in terms of reliability, new engine and so. As I bought it I will see. The Yaris doesn't look half bad (except of course in this light blue...hehe). But driving pleasure is surely not a main focus then....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review. It was excellent. I would go with the gas engine. I just don't drive enough to have the efficacy of the diesel work for me.

That Fiesta ecoboost mentioned above sounds interesting. How about a review of that?

Mazda released 1.3L Gasoline versions of the new 2 today - prices are 125K lower than the diesel versions.

Is this also getting eco-car tax breaks?

The Skyactiv-G 1.3L is compliant with the Eco-car phase 2 requirements, as is the diesel Skyactiv-D 1.5L, but phase 2 doesn't start until next year. Mazda are not a player in the current Phase 1 of the scheme. However, prices are being based on eco-car taxes. It's not clear whether Mazda got a special exception for this, or whether they are subsidizing prices themselves.

In short, don't expect a price drop next year, if that's what you're really asking :)

Thanks for the review. It was excellent. I would go with the gas engine. I just don't drive enough to have the efficacy of the diesel work for me.

That Fiesta ecoboost mentioned above sounds interesting. How about a review of that?

Yep, based on UNECE fuel economy tests, the 1.5L diesel gets 26.3 KM/L, and the 1.3L gasoline gets 23.3KM/L

Based on current fuel prices, the 1.3L costs 1.12 Baht/KM (using 95 E20) to run, and the diesel costs 1.01 Baht/KM - at a saving of just 11 satang per KM, it's more than a million KM before break even :)

Edited by IMHO

Anyone concerned about the Eco-car phase 2 program should read the special report in the BKK Post yesterday "PM jittery over eco-cars." wink.png

I agree with this - we're right on the cusp of mass production EV's... but with a mid-term policy focussed on mass production of dinosaur tech. Re-work the program to better support EV's and hybrids and it will fix both domestic sales and insure strong exports.

• 1 year later...

I have recently test driven both the 1.3 gas and the 1.5 diesel.  I felt the diesel  overall was a much stronger motor.  I am not shy about pushing the car and taking the sales girl for a ride of her life.   I want to know if I can pass a truck safely on one of these 2 lane roads in Thailand.  The price of the diesel seems a little high but nothing to compare it to.

ok, here we go.

After more than a year now my son is driving his Mazda 2 in Bangkok and i was in it several times as a passenger and driving it too.

It has good oomph and that is already a big reason for me to prefer it over similar sized cars with petrol engines.

Over a year my son in Bangkok traffic managed to get about 6l/100km, which I think is excellent and i don't think he is even trying to safe fuel...(he didn't know how much it consumes until I managed to put it in sight on the dashboard....kids!).

It had a few issues which had to be taken care by warranty, the biggest ones after less than 10,000 km the shocks were gone....Mazda acknowledged that this is an issue and replaced immediately.

Would I buy it again....YES and I just did for my other son....good discount even and the interior is for sure one step or two ahead of the competition. Great little cars in my opinion.

Quick, fun, versatile....good fuel economy....what is not to like.

18 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I think he is saying dont buy into the Ford Thailands cock up. Stay with the Reliable Nation Wide Brands , unless Ford do one thats a Must have thats for you Only an Idiot would buy a Fiesta these days.

Which still has nothing to do with the Mazda 2.

• 1 month later...

Very happy with mine, had it about a year now but only put about 6,000 Km's on it. Averaging about 6L/100km but I drive it like its stolen most of the time.

The diesel motor has lots of torque and its great for overtaking on the freeway. Coming from a brand new BMW in the USA this cars interior is still totally on point, and for the money it can't be beat.