Mazda 2 Skyactive Diesel Test Drive

shiroboi

Hey all, today was the first day I believe you could test drive the new Mazda 2s so I just went out to test drive the top model Mazda2 Skyactive D Sedan.

I'm not a professional reviewer and really would have liked to spend more time in the car but here's my thoughts for what they're worth.

In fairness, I've never driven a small car with a diesel engine so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. For starters the car has the looks. Mazda's Kodo design translates well to the small car. I liked the lines of the sedan over the 5 door hatchback but that's probably just personal opinion. Being 6 foot tall, I've had serious problems fitting in some of the sportier looking 1.5L cars on the market. A Vios is a tight squeeze and I literally cannot drive a Honda City without my head hitting the roof or my neck craned down to see underneath the top of the windshield. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of headroom and legroom in the 2. While it was nice and roomy up front, the back seat did look kind of tight. May be best suited for smaller people and children. The biggest standout was the overall interior quality and features on the top model. You could blindfold someone, put them in this car and then on the reveal, tell them they were in a new A class Mercades and you could fool them for a couple of minutes or until they saw the Mazda Logo (whichever comes first) The leather seats were comfy and supportive without being too soft. The dash was consolidated well. I did find it odd that the main gauge in the middle was a tachometer with a smaller digital speedometer. This model had the flip up glass holographic speedometer as well but I couldn't figure out how to activate it. The sales guy wasn't much help either. The circular vents and the various feaux carbon fiber accented pieces gave it a high quality and sporty look. The standout was the leather stiched panel on the dash and the AV navigation knob on the armrest. These are only on the top model but made the interior feel much nicer.

Mostly I was only on straights during the test drive so I couldn't really comment on the handling. The car felt very solid and well put together. The diesel engine was very quiet which was a surprise. I knew about the engine cutoff at stoplights but what was surprising is how fast it came back on when I pressed the gas pedal. There was almost no delay at all. For acceleration, it felt a little laggy when I mashed the gas pedal at a green light. The acceleration wasn't quite as immediate as I'd have liked. That could be attributed to turbo lag. After a second though, that wave of torque kicked in giving very smooth and hearty acceleration. The torque curve was fairly linear with no vtech like neck snaps. I didn't take it up too high but it felt like the top end was weak compared to a petrol engine. I did manually shift it a few times but not enough to see if that mode would actually be useful.

Visibility was passable. It was a bit hard really getting a feel for what was behind me. Even on the top model, backup cameras are not standard. Trunk space was much larger than I had thought. Had I been inclined I could have curled up in the trunk/boot easily. That was a definite plus in a small car.

I did get to sit in an entry model and saw one of the mid models. The entry level had an all plastic dash, lacked some of the trim highlights. While still a solid car, engine and exterior wise, the interior felt noticably cheaper. I liked the middle model a bit more, it added back some shiny bits on the dash and the seats seemed a little less cheap. If the price is right on this model, it may be their best seller. Neither of the lower two models had the GPS or AV features of the top model. While they both had alloy wheels, the don't get the larger and cooler looking alloys of the top model.

Verdict: Mazda has just brought a serious contender into the 1.5L subcompact class. The styling, interior and fuel economy from my perspective are all best in class. I'm highly considering buying one. Even if I don't I expect it to sell very, very well here in Thailand.

As for pricing, I'm not even sure. They didn't even have price sheets made up yet at both dealerships I stopped at. I know the top model is around 800K baht with the entry point in the mid 600's. A top model Mazda 2 gets awfully close to the starting price for the 2.0L Mazda 3. I did sit in a base model 3 afterwards and I felt like I while roomier, I was downgrading the interior significantly.

Feel free to comment and throw in your experiences if you've driven it yet. Keep in mind, this was just my first impression. I'll probably go back soon to drive it again with the wife.

I'm guessing it's a little turbo diesel so there will be some nice tuning modules for it in the near future.

Yeah, it's a hot little car. I'm sure the tuners will soup it up. The petrol version isn't out yet. I believe that it's supposed to be the faster of the two but the Turbo Diesel engine has gotten the best reviews to date. I think it'll be a very solid city car to own.

We have a Mazda 2 and a Mazda 3..Mazda invited us to a party to 'inspect' the new M2. Wife looked at the pictures of it and said:" Car designers mad. They always find a way to wreck a good design; look what Honda did to the CRV! Now Mazda just copying Fiesta and maybe want a go at BMW design:" I will not be buying that!!

The old Mazda 2 and Fiesta shared the same Chassis and both looked very similar as a result. This new Mazda 2 is completely original. I'd say this is a pretty radical departure from the Fiesta. The Kodo design is bolder and more striking. I really like it but it may not be for everybody. It may take a bit to grow on people. Some people may prefer the older simpler rounder design. The old Mazda2 wasn't bad looking at all either. It's hard to argue about design though, it's really up to the person's opinion.

Was also just informed that test drives no available. I booked a Diesel during the latest Motor Show in Bkk for my son.

Prices only out on 15th Jan'15. Then i will decide on the model but sure won't go for Top....as mentioned to near a bigger (better) car.

Hey Frank, they are definitely doing test drives now. I went to 2 seperate Mazda dealerships and both were giving test drives. I think you can't buy one until the 15th officially. Pricing will be announced then.

Was also just informed that test drives no available. I booked a Diesel during the latest Motor Show in Bkk for my son.

Prices only out on 15th Jan'15. Then i will decide on the model but sure won't go for Top....as mentioned to near a bigger (better) car.

Hey Frank, they are definitely doing test drives now. I went to 2 seperate Mazda dealerships and both were giving test drives. I think you can't buy one until the 15th officially. Pricing will be announced then.

Indeed. the no available should have read noW available....oops. I was told I can have our car 2-3 days after 15th, depending on finally what model i choose.

That's unusual, as I saw one on the road near my house (Nonthaburi), just this weekend. A red plate. ...it could have been a test driver, I guess.

The lag could possibly be the DBW throttle. Also, I would not expect much top end, as it's a diesel. There should be plenty of punch in it around town and up to highway speeds. The acceleration can be deceptive, as the taco rises slowly compared to a benzene motor. But the car will be moving along rapidly. I'm not sure how many of the top model will be sold if the price is close to 800K.

Edited by culicine

I'm guessing it's a little turbo diesel so there will be some nice tuning modules for it in the near future.

These look like good figures. 137hp / 315 nm tq

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/mazda/2_demio/15_skyactivd_103_bhp__105_ps__77_kw/mazda_2_15_skyactivd_103_bhp_105_ps_77_kw_crtd2_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_chip_P8880.html

These look like good figures. 137hp / 315 nm tq

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/mazda/2_demio/15_skyactivd_103_bhp__105_ps__77_kw/mazda_2_15_skyactivd_103_bhp_105_ps_77_kw_crtd2_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_chip_P8880.html

That's pretty decent torque for a little engine.

Yeah, it's very torquey. Mazda said it has the same torque as their 2.5L Petrol engine. I don't know if I'd buy it for racing but the engine was smooth and hearty and would be great for city driving and getting up to highway speeds.

Prices are slightly higher than i expected. Entry starts where others have their mid-upper models. Will see today how the entry looks.

Nearly no freebies. Paying cash no insurance. if pay 25% down and 48 months installments you get free insurance. Others only film and rubbers....so i guess they have their books full with deposits and not to worry about making deals.

Will go and test drive it today I guess and see how it stacks up against the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost, which after discount is 704,000 and pretty nicely specd.

Test drove the top model yesterday. Ok, the top model looks nice out and in....but at 790k it better does, just very little less then the Mazda 3 and if u consider that insurance is not incl in a cash purchase (it is in the Mazda 3) I feel the difference is just not enough to justify going M2 top.

The entry model and mid are not much different in my view and the difference is quite big in price so leaves the entry as the most interesting at 675k.

What did I think about the short test drive: seems reasonable swift but was expecting a bit more, maybe engine still tight. The initial pick up was nothing special but then the decent torque took over.

Handling seemed ok but had not much chance to test it, however felt rather hard. The breaks very extremely hard...and I come from hard VW breaks...so might still need some more km to show how they settle.

So, overall I left a bit wanting and felt that the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost I tested 2 months ago was more pleasurable to drive...but it was different roads, etc...so not all that conclusive.

The Fiesta is the top model and with current promotion it is just very little more then entry M2....with all the differences in gadgets....something to consider.

Prices are slightly higher than i expected. Entry starts where others have their mid-upper models. Will see today how the entry looks.

Nearly no freebies. Paying cash no insurance. if pay 25% down and 48 months installments you get free insurance. Others only film and rubbers....so i guess they have their books full with deposits and not to worry about making deals.

Will go and test drive it today I guess and see how it stacks up against the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost, which after discount is 704,000 and pretty nicely specd.

Prices are way higher than what I expected, considering this is Mazda's contender for the eco-car segment - and is the cheapest entry into the Mazda brand.

The base model 2 is now 630K Baht, the mid-range 735K and top top-spec 790K - a price increase of roughly 80K Baht, model-for-model from the outgoing range - despite the fact that the new model now enjoys eco-car tax benefits.

Compared to others in the eco-car segment, the gap between the 2 and the Attrage/Almera has widened to 160-200K Baht, while the gap to the Yaris is now 110-190K. I just don't see that working out.

Prices are way higher than what I expected, considering this is Mazda's contender for the eco-car segment - and is the cheapest entry into the Mazda brand.

The base model 2 is now 630K Baht, the mid-range 735K and top top-spec 790K - a price increase of roughly 80K Baht, model-for-model from the outgoing range - despite the fact that the new model now enjoys eco-car tax benefits.

Compared to others in the eco-car segment, the gap between the 2 and the Attrage/Almera has widened to 160-200K Baht, while the gap to the Yaris is now 110-190K. I just don't see that working out.

With all respect the M2 is not really in the eco car segment as we know it (Mirage, Yaris, Brio, March) but in the segment of Fiesta, Jazz, Vios. I do agree that it is slightly overpriced by around 30-40,000. The top spec at 790K does have a really nice interior, but I still would go with a M3 then. So finally my son went with the M2 entry level, couldn't convince him to go Fiesta Ecoboost....well...well...! I suppose diesel engines do cost a bit more to develop and manufacture.

A diesel engine is more expensive than a benzine. But It will give you much better fuel economy. And besides the diesel is cheaper than benzine smile.png

Impossible it will ever get even close to the TCO of other eco cars though.

A diesel engine is more expensive than a benzine. But It will give you much better fuel economy. And besides the diesel is cheaper than benzine smile.png

For B-segment, non-eco cars, I think Mazda has made a tactical over-pricing mistake. Honda will introduce its new City Hybrid this year, priced slightly more than the current Jazz hybrid at 768k, but with it's 1.5L engine and Sport Hybrid i-DCD technology. This will probably kick the Mazda 2's butt in sales as it gets 34.4 kpl.

I think Mazda needs to revise pricing on this one. Their Mazda 3 is the best in class currently, with correct pricing, but they have goofed on this one.

I still haven't bought a car yet. I agree with others, the price is what's putting us off. The entry model is in our price range but it feels like a night and day difference with the interior quality compared to the top model.

Oh the fuel economy last time I checked was 83 mpg which equates to about 35.3 Km/L. It is a bit more expensive but I figured you could make that back in fuel efficiency. I did some math and the Mazda 2 when compared to a regular Honda Jazz would probably take you about 50 months to make up a price difference of 100k baht if you saved 2K in fuel a month.

I still haven't bought a car yet. I agree with others, the price is what's putting us off. The entry model is in our price range but it feels like a night and day difference with the interior quality compared to the top model.

Oh the fuel economy last time I checked was 83 mpg which equates to about 35.3 Km/L. It is a bit more expensive but I figured you could make that back in fuel efficiency. I did some math and the Mazda 2 when compared to a regular Honda Jazz would probably take you about 50 months to make up a price difference of 100k baht if you saved 2K in fuel a month.

Hi Shiroboi,

Tried to convince my son to get the Fiesta Ecoboost at 704,000 full high specced but he decided on the Mazda 2 entry. The High looks pretty same so went for entry and added about 15-17,000 for leather interior. Will get the car on 31st and see how it came out.

Did you have a look at the Fiesta Ecoboost? Nice overall package and fun to drive. Should also be quite decent on fuel.

E20 is now cheaper than diesel, and E10 is just slightly more expensive. Benzene prices have plummeted 10 baht a litre recently.

Oh the fuel economy last time I checked was 83 mpg which equates to about 35.3 Km/L.

Mazda TH advertise it's combined fuel economy as 26.3 KM/L

What would be the real world fuel economy....around Bkk? I would guess about 25% less than the advertised figure, which is what I get in my swift, 20km/l official vs around 15 km/l.

Oh the fuel economy last time I checked was 83 mpg which equates to about 35.3 Km/L.

What would be the real world fuel economy....around Bkk? I would guess about 25% less than the advertised figure, which is what I get in my swift, 20km/l official vs around 15 km/l.

83mpg uk = 29.38kpl

That's the result of the UNECE R101 test - useful for comparisons to other manufacturer's official specs only.

No need to convert from MPG people, it's on the Mazda TH website, here: http://www.mazda.co.th/cars/all-new-mazda2-hatchback/features/performance/

Edited by IMHO

Hi Shiroboi,

Tried to convince my son to get the Fiesta Ecoboost at 704,000 full high specced but he decided on the Mazda 2 entry. The High looks pretty same so went for entry and added about 15-17,000 for leather interior. Will get the car on 31st and see how it came out.

Did you have a look at the Fiesta Ecoboost? Nice overall package and fun to drive. Should also be quite decent on fuel.

I was actually checking that out yesterday. I think it's certainly worth a look but my wife doens't seem to like the fiesta, nor is she a fan of Ford. Ultimately we may end up with a Yaris for the pure and simple reason that it comes in a light blue metallic that my wife loves so much. Sigh, women.