Getting from Udon to Vientiane Advice please

shl500

Anyone with recent experience on getting from Udon Thani to Vientiane for a visa renewal please.

I need help with ..Times to leave ...Bus or Tuk Tuk.....is it possible to get from Udon to Vientiane within the same day to submit the visa application?

Ant tips to avoid the rip off merchants and finally returning as soon as I get the stamp.

Thank you all.

Just to add to the above....the cheapest way is the bus from the main bus station there are however a few drivers who will take you from the airport all the way thru to Vientiane. They are not cheap though. Contact Mr. Chetha via mut mee guesthouse (they can pass on his phone number). Very reliable, safe driver but i do not know his current rate.

• Like 1

The cheapest and easy way to Vientiane is via the express bus from the Udon terminus to the morning market.

To use the bus service u must obtain your Laos visa in advance from a travel agent and pay for it in Thai baht not $ which is cheaper if obtained at the bridge.

There is a train about 11am which is ridiculously cheap......about 11 baht a couple of years ago. At Nong Khai railway station which is not far from the bridge u can take 5 to 10 min 30 baht tuk tuk to the border. 20 baht bus after Thai imm. across the bridge to Laos imm., then 20 baht public bus from the bridge into Vientiane bus station. There must also be taxis available for haggle. It was quite straight forward a couple of years ago.

Good luck!

• Like 1