Many northern, northeastern provinces declared disaster zones from cold weather

webfact

Many northern, northeastern provinces declared disaster zones from cold weather
By Digital Content

14210407483660-640x390x1.png

CHIANG MAI, Jan 12 -- Another high-pressure system has blanketed Thailand, causing a cold spell in many provinces in the North and Northeast, with local residents suffering many respiratory illnesses.

All 25 districts of Chiang Mai province have been declared cold-stricken areas as local temperatures dropped below 15 degrees Celsius for more than three days.

The weather condition affects about two million people.

The lowest temperature measured six degrees in Mae Chaem and Galyani Vadhana districts.

Concerned authorities are distributing winter gear to affected people as weather forecasters predict temperatures dropping further by 4-6 degrees Celsius in upper Thailand from tomorrow through Friday.

In Khon Kaen province, the temperature measured 15 degrees Celsius this morning.

Some 200,000 people in 12 districts are affected. Government and private organizations are distributing about 20,000 blankets but residents say they need about 180,000 more.

1ab6cc8808d97769f71a14f5f3400391_coldder

All nine Uttaradit districts have been declared cold emergency zones and nearly 80,000 people need winter gear.

In Phichit province, thunderstorms caused local temperatures to fall to 15-16 degrees Celsius before the weekend.

About 55,000 families in all 12 districts need winter gear.

In Sakhon Nakhon province, temperatures declined to about 14 degrees Celsius as rains continued for two days.

Local hospitals are treating more respiratory disease and asthma patients, especially children and the elderly. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-12

Hard proof that they really have no idea to think...forward plan, think about next week let alone next season.......

Every winter they get issued the same emergency blankets and warm clothing. And every spring they probably sell them back to the middle men....who every winter sell them to the relief agencies to distribute

Similar system to the temple offerings . Recycling at its purest....

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 1

Every year is cold there so why havent they cold weather clothes already? Most places have cold season but people alreaqdy have clothes to suit.

I can only conclude it is the 'hand-out' culture. Every year it's collections for this and that in Pattaya, whether it's floods, cold weather, poor harvest etc etc.

Now I'm not knocking the collectors, but the culture appears simply that there is no need to plan for well established problems. Someone will always give us something to restore happiness.

Very sad really. I once bough ta 2 ton car jack to fix a problem under my car. After I had done it my Thai other half asked if I was then going to sell the jack. She seemed utterly bemused that I said I would keep it in case I had any other such problems. Just illustrating what I mean.

"Every year is cold there so why havent they cold weather clothes already? Most places have cold season but people alreaqdy have clothes to suit.

I can only conclude it is the 'hand-out' culture. Every year it's collections for this and that in Pattaya, whether it's floods, cold weather, poor harvest etc etc.

Now I'm not knocking the collectors, but the culture appears simply that there is no need to plan for well established problems. Someone will always give us something to restore happiness.

Very sad really. I once bough ta 2 ton car jack to fix a problem under my car. After I had done it my Thai other half asked if I was then going to sell the jack. She seemed utterly bemused that I said I would keep it in case I had any other such problems. Just illustrating what I mean."

Yes, poverty is a bitch.

How astonishing that the first three posts on this news item are so callous reflecting a lack of understanding or sympathy for the the people affected.

Truly appalling.

Troll.

Troll ??? To disagree with a number of posters who appear to have a rather socially arch and unsympathetic perspective and lack of understanding as to the circumstances of being very, very cold? I think not. Hie thee off to your nearest expats' club! And may the meeting room have central heating and air conditioning!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

How astonishing that the first three posts on this news item are so callous reflecting a lack of understanding or sympathy for the the people affected.

Truly appalling.

Not appalling at all. Same sad song every year. They get the hand-outs of clothing, blankets and money EVERY year. What happens to the clothing and blankets at the end of winter? Flogged-off for money to buy smokes, booze and/or drugs?

Not that cold anyway, I'm sitting here tonight in shorts and short sleeved shirt....no problem!

This is the biggest load of crap so far ,,,,,Every year all countries have Summer & Winter ,,Summer warm/hot Winter cool/cold/very cold.This is same every year over the whole world,So every country in the world, Rich or Poor prepare themselves for the coming Winter /Summer,,,,WHY WHY not Thailand ....If it gets cold/flood someone will help????????What a piss poor attitude that is,,Land Of Flaws.

Edited by Doc46

Every year is cold there so why havent they cold weather clothes already? Most places have cold season but people alreaqdy have clothes to suit.

My wife is from a small Isan village near Nong Khai. Every winter, without fail, it seems like the majority of the people get sick with dysentery, and a hacking cough and fever, several times, before warm weather comes around again. Sometimes, all the chickens die as well. I wonder what brings this kind of sickness on so many in the village and all I can think about is the chickens might get bird flu and possibly transfer that to the people, if that is a possibility. That coupled with the general filth right outside the door, including food scraps, dirty wash water and chicken doo all over the place, might be the right recipe for sickness.

I have begged my wife to keep the living area outside where everyone sits and eats, cleaner, and to put up a fence that will keep the chickens from crapping on the table where all the food is placed; my pleas falling on collective deaf ears. Now that I am back in America for some medical reasons, I have talked to my wife and the sickness and dysentery have already started. All I know to do is pray to God to protect the people from this sickness and to keep them warm and dry.