Surin: 72-year-old man recognised by Public Health Ministry as herb practitioner

webfact

72-year-old man recognised by Public Health Ministry as herb practitioner

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has endorsed a 72-year-old man in Surin as a herb practitioner after he has been using Lode Thanong Daeng herb, whose scientific name is Trigonostemon reidioides (Kurz) Craib, to treat people bitten by poisonous snakes. He has been treating patients at three hospitals in the province free of charge.

He collected only the price of the herb of Bt100 per set.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/72-year-old-man-recognised-by-Public-Health-Minist-30251728.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-12

As someone who has worked with medicinal herbs for forty-plus years, this doesn't surprise me ... but I always love to hear/read such stories.

According to some plant researchers at Mahidol University:

Trigonostemon reidioides Craib (Euphorbiaceae) is a Thai traditional medicine used for treatment of drug addiction, asthma, food poisoning, constipation, and snake bites1

I'm very curious what success rate this Thai herbalist has with snake bite victims, and if he's had success with cobra bites.

The native USA plant, Echinacea purpurea has a long history of use by Native Americans for the successful treatment of rattlesnake bites.