France mobilizes 10,000 security forces after attacks

webfact

France mobilizes 10,000 security forces after attacks
By LORI HINNANT and SUZAN FRASER

PARIS (AP) — French security forces are mobilizing in their search for what the prime minister called a "probably accomplice" to three days of bloodshed and terror around the capital, as well as to try to ensure the safety of the French people.

Manuel Valls said the search is urgent because "the threat is still present" after the attacks that left 17 people dead — journalists at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, hostages at a kosher market and three police officers — plus the three attackers, who were killed Friday in nearly simultaneous raids by security forces.

Meanwhile, France's defense minister said Monday the country is mobilizing 10,000 security forces to protect the population. Jean-Yves Le Drian said the deployment will begin Tuesday, and will focus on the most sensitive locations.

The widow of one of the attackers crossed into Syria on Thursday, the day after the Charlie Hebdo massacre, and the same day her husband shot a policewoman to death on the outskirts of Paris, according to Turkey's foreign minister.

Mevlut Cavusoglu told the state-run Anadolu Agency on Monday that Hayat Boumedienne arrived in Turkey from Madrid on Jan. 2, ahead of the attacks and stayed at a hotel in Istanbul before crossing into Syria on Thursday.

Video emerged on Sunday of her husband Amedy Coulibaly, explaining how the attacks would unfold and police want to find the person who shot and posted the video, which was edited after the attacks were over.

Valls told BFM television on Monday that France is at war against "terrorism, against jihadism, against radical Islam."

Survivors say the Charlie Hebdo attackers, brothers from Paris, claimed they were from al-Qaida in Yemen, the group the U.S. considers the most dangerous offshoot of that network. In the video, Coulibaly pledges allegiance to the Islamic State group.

But ties among the men date back to at least 2005.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-12

Others and myself have been posting for a year that this will get much worse, more local, and very deadly. [We] want you to pay attention. Just scroll down the list of headers under ThaiVisa World News. This is increasingly the only news, all the time, everywhere. For those on the fence or with views that this is much ado about nothing, I kindly invite you to evaluate why it is you believe this position in spite of the mounting evidence to the contrary. Do you hold an idea or conviction? A belief or factual conclusion?

Perhaps visit the website Religion of Peace. This site clearly has opinion but it's news is aggregation, taking feeds from all over the world; that cannot possibly be biased. Read these world feeds and see for yourself how very real, how global, and how pressing this is every day. France deploying 10,000 or 100,000 officers will do nothing to stem the civilization hemorrhage because at its basic level it is reactionary.

• Like 1

Others and myself have been posting for a year that this will get much worse, more local, and very deadly. [We] want you to pay attention. Just scroll down the list of headers under ThaiVisa World News. This is increasingly the only news, all the time, everywhere. For those on the fence or with views that this is much ado about nothing, I kindly invite you to evaluate why it is you believe this position in spite of the mounting evidence to the contrary. Do you hold an idea or conviction? A belief or factual conclusion?

Perhaps visit the website Religion of Peace. This site clearly has opinion but it's news is aggregation, taking feeds from all over the world; that cannot possibly be biased. Read these world feeds and see for yourself how very real, how global, and how pressing this is every day. France deploying 10,000 or 100,000 officers will do nothing to stem the civilization hemorrhage because at its basic level it is reactionary.

Can't tell if the overall note of the post is total desperation or a call to arms.

Statements such as "France deploying 10,000 or 100,000 officers will do nothing to stem the civilization hemorrhage because at its basic level it is reactionary." will probably work better on those already sharing certain the views expressed. Others may question the wholesale "do nothing" or that wonder how is, exactly, civilization hemorrhaging.

There is no denying that Islam in general and Islamic terrorism specifically pose some serious issues (or threats, whatever fits) for the West.

Can't tell if the overall note of the post is total desperation or a call to arms.

Statements such as "France deploying 10,000 or 100,000 officers will do nothing to stem the civilization hemorrhage because at its basic level it is reactionary." will probably work better on those already sharing certain the views expressed. Others may question the wholesale "do nothing" or that wonder how is, exactly, civilization hemorrhaging.

There is no denying that Islam in general and Islamic terrorism specifically pose some serious issues (or threats, whatever fits) for the West.

Fair enough: if provided only those two options I elect "a call to arms." However, I remain unconvinced this emerging transnational conflict can be won by actual arms alone. When I say call to arms as one of your options provided, I mean education arms. It is way too premature to instigate a call to actual arms because most western countries cannot yet define the problem, so the solution will be evasive.

I do have a sense of foreboding regarding the future we now hand our children; really. I am deeply concerned we have lived the last best generation of this modern era- in the west. This is just my fear and my opinion.

• Like 2

Fair enough: if provided only those two options I elect "a call to arms." However, I remain unconvinced this emerging transnational conflict can be won by actual arms alone. When I say call to arms as one of your options provided, I mean education arms. It is way too premature to instigate a call to actual arms because most western countries cannot yet define the problem, so the solution will be evasive.

I do have a sense of foreboding regarding the future we now hand our children; really. I am deeply concerned we have lived the last best generation of this modern era- in the west. This is just my fear and my opinion.

This I can relate and, to an extent, even agree with.

Without the same sense of urgency, education (or acknowledgment of certain realities) is certainly the order of the day, as far as these matters go. Way too much ignorance, wrong facts, biased agendas, hate, bigotry, and denial doing the rounds. Anything which contributes to clarifying the issues is a good thing, although not always pleasant.

We could be holding differing opinions with regard to the spread of the above - many seem to think that it is the other side (or both of them) are the ones not-getting-it, living in denial etc. The way I see it, these are apparent in various forms in all three parties often mentioned (conservatives, liberals, Muslims). So when talking about education, it needs to be clear about who's education we're talking about as well.

"It is way too premature to instigate a call to actual arms because most western countries cannot yet define the problem, so the solution will be evasive."

Indeed. Many times Gung-ho posts here brings to mind old comic Western movies, the sort where the posse rides out of town, just to realize they got no idea where their heading. The same could be said about certain Coalitions and announced summits.

Being democratic in nature, Western countries are ill equipped to uphold long term efforts and policies. This by itself makes tackling this issue very problematic, as any approach, not to mention solution, would necessarily be a long term undertaking.

• Like 1