Why Do Thais Have Nicknames?

Ijustwannateach

Some foreigners have nicknames- very often they are cute shortenings of the full formal name, i.e. "Steven"----> "Steve." Some Thai nicknames work this way- but the vast majority of them are not related to the name. However, almost all Thais seem to have them. Why?

Is it because the names are too formal? Are the names too long? Is there a superstition about the names giving others power (like there used to be in England)? Any other ideas?

"Steven"

It's a hang over from Hinduism.

Within Hindu tradition a person cannot be cursed unless you curse them in their real name. Hence children are given nick names.

The term 'Nick Name', itself comes from a Christian cultural belief that they devil (AKA Old Nick) cannot call you unless he knows your real name.

Another tradition, common around the world, is not to tell mothers that their new born baby is beautiful lest the local devil/evil spirits etc take a liking to the child.

(Odly we were discussing this very topic on the weekend)

Edited by GuestHouse

Some foreigners have nicknames- very often they are cute shortenings of the full formal name, i.e. "Steven"----> "Steve." Some Thai nicknames work this way- but the vast majority of them are not related to the name. However, almost all Thais seem to have them. Why?

Is it because the names are too formal? Are the names too long? Is there a superstition about the names giving others power (like there used to be in England)? Any other ideas?

"Steven"

I am reading a most excellent book at the moment, "Very Thai" by Phillip Cornwel-Smith. It tells you a bunch of stuff about popular Thai culture. If you ever wondered why the police wear tight uniforms or why Al Pacino's face is painted on the back of trucks, then this is the book for you!

It's not cheap - about 900 baht - but my school bought it for the Thai culture section. I signed it out before the cellophane cover came off!

Apparently until about 80 years ago Thais didn't have surnames and the first name was the the formal way to address someone. Nicknames were simply an informal alternative.

Apparently until about 80 years ago Thais didn't have surnames and the first name was the the formal way to address someone. Nicknames were simply an informal alternative

Indeed, family names where introduced by King Vajirvudh, I read that in a book that those of you in Thailand are not allowed to read.

talking about nick names,

cricky's mate, i knew this guy who had all his teeth knocked out in an accident.

you know what all the boys called him ?

" FANG"

now i didn't like that name much as its not very respectfull but they thought it was hillarious.

any way punters, its a free world so i say, " what ever"

cheers mates :o

It's a hang over from Hinduism.

Within Hindu tradition a person cannot be cursed unless you curse them in their real name. Hence children are given nick names.

The term 'Nick Name', itself comes from a Christian cultural belief that they devil (AKA Old Nick) cannot call you unless he knows your real name.

Another tradition, common around the world, is not to tell mothers that their new born baby is beautiful lest the local devil/evil spirits etc take a liking to the child.

(Odly we were discussing this very topic on the weekend)

The belief of spirits and evil forces seams to be relevant in both ethnic groups or religions but how much of the examples mentioned above exists with Thai's today. Doees it mean that I should be honoured be getting a nickname?

Btw, My daughters name is Naomi,, dont understand why it was so hard to say Naomi? So we decided to give her the nickname Diamond, is that easier? Anyway they are both names of beauty. Naomi "My Grace" and Diamond "A Precious Gem"

I got one as well, Patrick could be difficult so they simplified it to "itik" After the explanations I've heard, I dont mind.

"Steven"

I am reading a most excellent book at the moment, "Very Thai" by Phillip Cornwel-Smith. It tells you a bunch of stuff about popular Thai culture. If you ever wondered why the police wear tight uniforms or why Al Pacino's face is painted on the back of trucks, then this is the book for you!

It's not cheap - about 900 baht - but my school bought it for the Thai culture section. I signed it out before the cellophane cover came off!

Apparently until about 80 years ago Thais didn't have surnames and the first name was the the formal way to address someone. Nicknames were simply an informal alternative.

Why do the Police wear tight uniforms then? [sorry to be off topic.]

"Steven"

Why do the Police wear tight uniforms then? [sorry to be off topic.]

The reason is the tight uniforms will accentuate Mr Policeman's muscles and deter would-be criminals from messing with ultra-fit police.

In reality it shows how much Beer Chang is consumed on night-shift :o

What about Al Pachino? I always thought it was Che Guevara, or maybe Chuck Norris.

He played the role of Serpico in a movie, excuse spelling, the corruption buster; so the truckers hope his face will ward off cops extorting money from drivers.

I don't know why cops wear tight uniforms but they wear vests to absorb the sweat and stop it staining their uniforms.

I may be in error, but I seem to remember reading that Thais traditionally did not bestow names upon the newborns for some 30 days. Related to earlier posts, I think it had something to do with not wanting the child's kwaan to be called away. The nicknames were bestowed at birth, often reflecting some physical characteristic such as the always common Deng (red), and the countless varieties of small (Lek, Nit, Noi, etc).

The belief in the kwaan was clearly one of the central tenents in pre-Bhuddhist beliefs amongst the Tais and one can still occassionaly see a riak kwaan ceremony being performed in the rural areas when a child has become ill and it is belived that his/her kwaan has temporarily departed leaving the person weak and ill. In our village area there is only one elderly man who is able to perform this ceremony and I doubt any of the younger generation will follow as the texts he uses are written in old Lanna script and many of the verses recited are recited in the K'mu language which was the native language of the eldest generation in the area.

I may be in error, but I seem to remember reading that Thais traditionally did not bestow names upon the newborns for some 30 days. Related to earlier posts, I think it had something to do with not wanting the child's kwaan to be called away. The nicknames were bestowed at birth, often reflecting some physical characteristic such as the always common Deng (red), and the countless varieties of small (Lek, Nit, Noi, etc).

The belief in the kwaan was clearly one of the central tenents in pre-Bhuddhist beliefs amongst the Tais and one can still occassionaly see a riak kwaan ceremony being performed in the rural areas when a child has become ill and it is belived that his/her kwaan has temporarily departed leaving the person weak and ill. In our village area there is only one elderly man who is able to perform this ceremony and I doubt any of the younger generation will follow as the texts he uses are written in old Lanna script and many of the verses recited are recited in the K'mu language which was the native language of the eldest generation in the area.

This is similar to the Balinese, they do not name a child untill it is 28 or 30 days old. It is not even acknowledged by the village untill then. Partly because of the Hindu tradition and because of the high infant mortality rate in the past. Part of the naming involves burying the afterbirth under a tree in the family compound, part is kept (dried) as a totem / charm.

I might be totally wrong but i heard that (traditionally) the Monks gave the christian name, based on time of the year and other Buddhist factors. Then the Mother gave the "pet" or "nic" name. :o

for my wife and her sister, the father gave the first name.

I got told that he read for ages old books with names and words to find a lucky name (must contain gold and flowers......).

For the nickname I don't know

have one here:

gop=frog

dum=black (and he is)

lek=small

chicken (don't know to spell it)

I might be totally wrong but i heard that (traditionally) the Monks gave the christian name, based on time of the year and other Buddhist factors. Then the Mother gave the "pet" or "nic" name. :o

for my wife and her sister, the father gave the first name.

I got told that he read for ages old books with names and words to find a lucky name (must contain gold and flowers......).

Could be different in various villages. Not sure :D

chicken (don't know to spell it)

Gai

Apparently until about 80 years ago Thais didn't have surnames and the first name was the the formal way to address someone. Nicknames were simply an informal alternative

Indeed, family names where introduced by King Vajirvudh, I read that in a book that those of you in Thailand are not allowed supposed to read.

..it was a very interesting and highly informative book... :o

Probably complety off topic so sorry for that, I underdstand that the more letters you have in your last name the greater chance you have of entereing university :o

Newer Chinese immigrants (i.e. since 1949 or so) were given longer surnames. The Chinese being the high academic achievers that they are, they tend to dominate university places.

It would be truer to say that the longer the surname, the more likely the holder is to be Chinese.

Probably complety off topic so sorry for that, I underdstand that the more letters you have in your last name the greater chance you have of entereing university :o

Newer Chinese immigrants (i.e. since 1949 or so) were given longer surnames. The Chinese being the high academic achievers that they are, they tend to dominate university places.

It would be truer to say that the longer the surname, the more likely the holder is to be Chinese.

just to add to that, Chinese immigrants would 'convert' their chinese name to Thai. However, each surname also needed to be unique.

THus the proliferation of long names

Tong - not available... ok how about

Tongdee - not available... ok how about

Tongdeewattana - not available...ok how about

Tongdeewattanachai -et al

Tongdeewattanachaicharoen -et al

Tongdeewattanachaicharoensuk

Thanks for all the great info & history, guys... I'd heard a little of it but never in this much detail.

Can someone fill me in a little more on why there is so much Hindu influence, then, in this nominally Buddhist country? (I guess this goes along with spirit houses, etc., too). Is it crossover historically from Burma/India/Nepal?

For the same reason Bali is Hindu. It was there first.

Buddha was a Hindu prince. The Hindus had spread their religion throughout the reigon a long time ago and some of the belief system stuck. Buddhism followed, then Islam. Buddhism and Islam did not make a big impression on Bali untill reciently.

In Indonesia there is the Buddhist temple called Borabaduah (sp?) in the middle a devoutly Muslim country. It was there before Mohomad was born.

In many parts of Asia, usually the rural areas, there are stong animist beliefs entwined with the dominant local religion that predate most other religions.

Thanks for all the great info & history, guys... I'd heard a little of it but never in this much detail.

Can someone fill me in a little more on why there is so much Hindu influence, then, in this nominally Buddhist country? (I guess this goes along with spirit houses, etc., too). Is it crossover historically from Burma/India/Nepal?

Brahmin priests play a very important role in the Royal Household.