Notarizing my marriage certificate from america

Hi, I have a little problem. Back in 2002 my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to the USA for a visit. We decided it would be fun to get married at the Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas.

Over the years I have been working legally with a work permit/Non O Visa and recently (last 2 years) used the retirement visa option.

I have now decided to go back into business, but in order to get an O visa (needed to get a work permit) I need to get the marriage certificate notarised by the US embassy.

There is no information on the web site and no-one will speak to me regarding this on the phone.

Does anybody know what is needed and how long it takes.

I live in Hua Hin, but found out there is an outreach at the Amari hotel in pattaya this friday. Could I get it notarised there?

Just so you know, I am a British Citizen been in Thailand 16 years.

Thanks for the help.

The embassy will not certify your marriage certificate. What you can do is a self certification by doing an affidavit by stating it is true and correct. Blank affidavit form: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/blank_affidavit.pdf

Just put all the info from your marriage certificate on it and state it is valid and correct. You will swear an oath before the consular officer at the outreach or at the embassy.

The self certification will be accepted for registering your marriage at an Amphoe but it and your marriage certificate must be translated to Thai. Then certified at the Ministry of Foreign affairs (the translation service can do it for you).

If you are wanting an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration you have to register your marriage to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

I'm not sure that the US embassy will do the affidavit for the OP:

Notarial services provided by the Embassy are primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents. Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

I think the OP can get his certificate legalized by the state of Nevada first, then the US dep.t of state by using a notary of service and power of attorney.

Alternatively if he has registered the marriage in the UK he can obtain an equivalent document and have it notarized by the UK emabssy.

I'm not sure that the US embassy will do the affidavit for the OP:

Notarial services provided by the Embassy are primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents. Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

I think the OP can get his certificate legalized by the state of Nevada first, then the US dep.t of state by using a notary of service and power of attorney.

Alternatively if he has registered the marriage in the UK he can obtain an equivalent document and have it notarized by the UK emabssy.

I may of missed the bottom line of his post this morning.

If they will not do the affidavit the UK embassy will do it the same thing for him by way of a sworn statement.

Unfortunately, the Thai immigration won't accept a US marriage certificate being certified by the UK government. I also spoke with the UK people and they agreed that it has to be done by the government from the country where the marriage took place.

I am going to go to pattaya and try my luck with the US consul at the outreach.

I tend to think this is my best option....hopefully it is as it is a long drive from Hua Hin.

Unfortunately, the Thai immigration won't accept a US marriage certificate being certified by the UK government. I also spoke with the UK people and they agreed that it has to be done by the government from the country where the marriage took place.

I am going to go to pattaya and try my luck with the US consul at the outreach.

I tend to think this is my best option....hopefully it is as it is a long drive from Hua Hin.

The UK embassy would not be certifying the marriage certificate. You are doing it. They will not even certify a UK marriage certificate. A person from the UK has to do the same self certification,

As long as the Amphoe sees an embassy stamp on it that is enough.

The US consul may be flexible and do the affidavit.

At least with the outreach you don't have to go through the appointment system like you do at the embassy.

Am I missing something here. If he has an original marrage certificate from the State of Nevada, why does another U S government agency have to certify it .

I never had mine certified when I regestered my marrage here just had it translated

Am I missing something here. If he has an original marrage certificate from the State of Nevada, why does another U S government agency have to certify it .

I never had mine certified when I regestered my marrage here just had it translated

Seems your amphur didn't follow the correct procedure.

The embassy confirms it is a real document and the Thai Foreign Ministry confirms the document from the embassy confirming it is a real document is real. That is a standard procedure.

The embassy confirms it is a real document and the Thai Foreign Ministry confirms the document from the embassy confirming it is a real document is real. That is a standard procedure.

I am a bit confused here . You say that the embassy confirms the marriage certificate but Ubonjoe says the embassy will not certify the certificate

It was a few weeks ago, when I went for my O Visa extension that the Thai Immigration wanted my marraige certificate from Las Vegas legalized. Fortunately, I applied for an Apostille in LV, which is to say that the Marraige certificate is legal. The Thais wanted both these documents legalized. I got that done by a Thai Lawyer and no more questions were asked.

In your case, why dont you apply for the Apostille from here and they usually post it to any US address, from where you get it sent to Thailand?

post-175275-0-45347400-1421160585_thumb.

Edited by sarathjay

Make sure that you have the certified marriage certificate from the recorders office with the seal, not the decorative one you get when you marry at the chapel in Vegas. You can get a certified one about 2 to 3 days after the wedding place submits the paperwork. I had a few friends in Vegas that the chapel never actually submitted the paperwork and they foudn out they were not actually married for 5 years. You check that you are in the system, and you can order the official one from:

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/recorder/pages/orderingmarriagecertificate.aspx

When we had our marriage registered here we had the certified marriage document translated and then certified from the MFA, we didn't need anything from the embassy.

I am a bit confused here . You say that the embassy confirms the marriage certificate but Ubonjoe says the embassy will not certify the certificate

Some embassies can certify a document while others cannot. The US and UK embassies do not do it.

A way to get around it is the self certification.